MELVILLE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – A man has died after exposure to carbon monoxide at his Melville home Thursday morning, Suffolk County Police said.

His wife was rushed to Nassau University Medical Center for treatment in a bariatric chamber.

It happened at a home on Scott Drive at around 8:30 a.m.

Stephen Yancofski, 55, and his wife Kyriaki Bouziotas, 59, of Melville, Long Island. (Credit: Robert Deturris)

Suffolk County Police identified the victims as contractor Stephen Yancofski, 55, and his wife Kyriaki Bouziotas, 59.

Officials believe the carbon monoxide was emitting from a detached fitting on a pvc pipe disconnected from a water heating exhaust vent in the basement.

“The mother called her daughter. She was throwing up all morning,” said Suffolk County Police Chief Kevin Beyrer. “The daughter came. She lives local. She came to the house. At that time her stepfather was unconscious. Nine one one instructed her to try and get the two people outside the house. She explained to the 911 operators what was happening. She was unable to get them out of the house due to their weakened condition.”

A man died and his wife was hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning in Melville on Feb. 21, 2018. (credit: CBS2)

When firefighters arrived, their portable carbon monoxide detectors sounded with loud alarms, reported CBS2’s Jennifer McLogan.

The victims’ son and son in law were embraced by neighbors and loved ones when they arrived at the home following the tragedy. They thanked first responders for doing their best to try to save their parents’ lives.

Sadly, Yancofski became a grandfather just last night when his son’s wife gave birth.

Neighbors describe him as a knowledgeable contractor who helped them all with home repairs. Some were baffled that he had no carbon monoxide detector in his own home.

“Like a shoemaker doesn’t have a good pair of shoes, doesn’t think of himself,” said neighbor Robert Deturris.

“It’s a little scary. It’s something that can happen at any point, have to make sure everything’s in order in the house,” said neighbor Michael Koulias.

“Nice guy. Fifty four years old. He was my best neighbor. He introduced me to the neighborhood,” said John Pospisil. “Awesome guy. Porch night – right over there we always had porch night – me, him, all the neighbors here had porch night. You know, it was like a fraternity.”

Officials say the incident serves as a tragic reminder of having functioning carbon monoxide detectors in the home, McLogan reported.


Leave a Reply