AIRMONT, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – A mother and her two daughters are being treated after apparent carbon monoxide exposure in Airmont Tuesday morning, police said.

The mother, 54, and her two daughters, 16 and 15, were found unconscious in the home on Bolger Lane.

Authorities say the father left the house early this morning and came back around six hours later after being unable to reach them. He found his wife and daughters out cold and called police at 10:53 a.m.

Police and utility workers surrounded the home after the three had to be rescued.

“The father left the residence at 5 a.m. and when he returned home at 10:53 a.m. he discovered the family,” said Capt. Marty Reilly of the Ramapo Police.

Responding officers “entered the residence and dragged out three female victims. They also dragged out some dogs that were inside the residence,” Reilly said.

Police believe carbon monoxide is likely to blame, but are still trying to figure out where in the house it came from, and how.

“The conditions were very serious. They were unconscious at the time they were transported,” Reilly said.

The father is now with his family at the hospital – all three are considered in serious condition.

Police couldn’t say if there were working carbon monoxide detectors in the house.

Ramapo Animal Control is tending to the pets.

The woman has been transported to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx. Her two daughters are in serious condition at Westchester Medical Center.