NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Now that spring is here and the weather is getting warmer, it’s the perfect time to start planning a fun outdoor party.
But being a great host is more than just buying the right chips and dip. Alison Bernstein, founder of “The Bash,” sat down with CBS2’s Andrea Grymes to share the secrets to planning the perfect gathering.READ MORE: COVID Anniversary: New York Marks 1 Year Since 1st Case Detected
Berstein says she sees the highest spike for party service requests in March, which means everyone’s getting ready to plan an event to shake off the winter blues.
The most-celebrated occasions in the spring are bridal showers, bachelorette parties, and baby showers, according to the party planner.READ MORE: New Jersey Sports Arenas Reopen At Limited Capacity
Here are a few tips from Bernstein on what kind of themes would make you a winner in the eyes of your guests:
- “Caricaturists are fun because everyone goes home with their very own cartoon portrait. Caricaturists have the skill of making everyone look good in a humorous way.”
- “A PJ party doesn’t necessarily mean that the evening has to turn into an overnight stay, so don’t think that picking this theme means your host duties have to extend into the next morning. Late night or early morning viewing parties (hello, 7 a.m. royal wedding), or an 80’s themed movie night fit in perfectly with a slumber party aesthetic.”
- “Champagne bar, smore’s bar, doughnuts, and other sweet treats; some are even just doing a fancy pizza party.”
Baby showers:MORE NEWS: NYPD: Man Charged With Murder In Quadruple Stabbing That Killed Good Samaritan
- “Women are taking cues from Meghan Markle’s over the top baby-themed shower with extravagant dessert spreads. On The Bash, women are able to experience exactly how Meghan felt on her special day, we even have her harpist available to entertain.”
- “Another theme Mothers-to-be are choosing are flower-filled organic party settings to celebrate the arrival of their little one. Themes that pay tribute to nature, like a National Park-themed luncheon or Garden Bee cocktail/mocktail party, offer plenty of opportunities for charming decor and pun-friendly wordplay.”
- “For something a little more offbeat, we’ve been seeing “Game of Thrones” – inspired Mother of Dragons baby showers!” You can also expect to see a lot of 80’s themed parties towards the summer with popular shows like “Stranger Things” and “Sex Education” – both set in the 80’s.
- “Balloon garlands are going to be replacing floral arrangements as a backdrop – they’re gorgeous, colorful, much more affordable, and best of all? Perfect for the ‘gram!”
- “Grazing Tables – You won’t be invited to as many formal sit down dinners this year. You’re going to see ‘family style’ taken to the next level. This enables guests to move around and socialize between bites. Think of an epic charcuterie board that spread across the entire table.”
- “Roving Entertainers will be popping up everywhere, whether it’s a portrait artist or a haiku composer, guests will be delighted by the unexpected entertainment.”