SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (CBSNewYork) — Authorities in the Dominican Republic have announced that the bodies of a missing couple from New York have been found.
Police in Santo Domingo said Tuesday that Orlando Moore and his girlfriend Portia Ravenelle – who reportedly went missing in the Caribbean nation in late March – are believed to be the victims of a local auto wreck.
“Evidence gathered up to now has surmised that the disappearance of U.S. citizens Orlando Moore, 40, and Portia Denisse Ravenelle, 52, was the result of a traffic accident at Kilometer 19 of the America Highway. The vehicle was rented by the couple. It was last seen at the Marbella booth at 1:41 a.m. in the early hours of the morning on March 27,” police spokesperson Frank Felix Duran said.
A body resembling Moore was recovered from the sea near San Souci on March 31. Previously, on March 27 a woman with trauma to her body – believed to be Ravenelle – was found on a highway and taken to hospital. She later died from her injuries.
One body has a tattoo reading “MILANO” that corresponds to a tattoo on Moore, according to CBS News.
Authorities are waiting for tests on the bodies to confirm their identities.
List Of Recent American Deaths In The Dominican Republic
- June 17, 2019: Vittorio Caruso, 56, from Glen Cove, N.Y.
Died after “drinking something,” cause of death not officially determined.
- June 13, 2019: Joseph Allen, 55, of Avenel, N.J.
Died at Terra Linda resort in Sosua, Dominican Republic. Cause of death yet to be officially determined.
- June 10, 2019: Leyla Cox, 53, of Staten Island, N.Y.
Died at the Excellence Resorts in Punta Cana. Cause of death in DR ruled a heart attack.
- May 30, 2019: Edward Nathaniel Holmes, 63, of Maryland.
Died at the Grand Bahia Principe in La Romana. DR officials ruled cause of death as respiratory failure, along with Cynthia Day.
- May 30, 2019: Cynthia Day, 49, of Maryland.
Died at the Grand Bahia Principe in La Romana. DR officials ruled cause of death as respiratory failure, along with Nathaniel Holmes.
- May 25, 2019: Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, of Allentown, Pa.
Died at the Bahia Principe resort in La Romana. Cause of death ruled heart attack and respiratory failure.
- March 27, 2019: Orlando Moore, 40, of Westchester County, N.Y.
Body recovered from the sea near San Souci on March 31, linked to a traffic crash on March 27 with Ravenelle.
- March 27, 2019: Portia Ravenelle, 52, of Westchester County, N.Y.
Found alive on highway in DR, later died of injuries at a hospital, linked to a traffic crash on March 27 with Moore.
- April 12, 2019: Robert Wallace, 67, of California.
Died at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana of a heart attack after being served a scotch at the bar.
- April 2019: John Corcoran of Turlock, California
Death in DR reported by CNN through his sister, “Shark Tank” star Barbara Corcoran.
- July 2018: David Harrison of Maryland.
Died at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana of a heart attack.
- June 2018: Yvette Monique Sport of Pennsylvania.
According to CNN reports, she died after drinking from her hotel room’s mini-bar at the Bahia Principe in Punta Cana.
- May 2018: Donette Edge Cannon of Queens, N.Y.
Died at hospital of kidney failure after stay in Punta Cana.