YONKERS, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – A Yonkers father came home from work to find his whole family sick.

Police said they were poisoned by carbon monoxide.

Eleven people, including six children, were taken to the hospital.

Fire officials said the father returned to a two-story building on Coyle Place around 8:20 a.m. and wasn’t able to wake up his family.

The victims were conscious when first responders arrived but showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, like vomiting and reddish complexions.

Neighbors watched as the family left the building with oxygen masks on, struggling to breathe.

“I just see the ambulance, the fire department over here running. I didn’t know it was a gas leak. I’ve seen the kids and the ladies, because one of the ladies works here. They took her to the hospital,” one witness told CBS2’s Reena Roy. “It’s scary because she has small kids.”

Fortunately, everyone is expected to be OK.

Con Edison said the issue was likely caused by a boiler in the building.


Leave a Reply