NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -REAL IDs are coming to New Jersey.
The state’s motor vehicle commission announced Wednesday the more secure driver’s licenses will be rolled out slowly to avoid long lines.
New Jersey residents will be able to upgrade their current New Jersey license by appointment only at one of six state offices.
READ: REAL ID Fact Sheet
Beginning October 1 of 2020, either a REAL ID or a valid passport will be required to board domestic commercial flights.
The commission says the Department of Homeland Security gave the state extensions on its compliance deadline so it could prepare for Real ID, including changes such as:
- Upgrading online services.
- Upgrading its servers, computers software, and point of sale system.
- Expanding its new ticket queuing system.
- Increasing staffing and changing business hours to extend weekend availability.
MORE ON GETTING YOUR REAL ID
- New Jersey Information On REAL ID
- New York Information On REAL ID
- Connecticut Information On REAL ID
- Differences Between Enhanced NY Driver’s License Vs. REAL ID
- Homeland Security Info On REAL ID
- Enhanced Driver’s License Info
- More REAL ID Documentation
Applicants for REAL IDs need to bring documentation to qualify, but not all documentation is considered equal. A person must have two proofs of residential address, one proof of a Social Security Number and six “points” worth of other identification. Financial information can be blacked out.
The lists below illustrate documentation options needed in New Jersey.
2 proofs of residential address (select two from this list)
- Valid NJ driver license/non-driver identification card, or a Motor Vehicle Commission issued driver license renewal form (displaying residential address)
- Utility or credit card bill issued in the past 90 days.
- Checking or savings account statement from a bank or credit union issued within the past 60 days.
- Original, unexpired lease or rental agreement.
- Tax bill, statement or receipt, and/or any letter or correspondence received from the IRS or tax office within the past year.
- First class mail from any government agency in the past six month.
- If under 18, statement from parent or guardian certifying address of applicant.
1 proof of full Socical Security Number (select one)
- Social Security Card
- W-2 Form issued within the past year
- Pay Stub with name and full SSN
- 1099 Form issued within the past year
6 points of ID – Primary List (one selection)
- 4 points … Unexpired US passport or passport card.
- 4 points … US or US Territory birth certificate certified copy filed with a state office of vital statistics or equivalent agency in the individual’s state of US Department of State birth certificate (Form FS-545 or DS-1350).
- 4 points … US Department of State Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240).
- 4 points … Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550, N-578, or N-570).
- 4 points … Current Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) issued by USCIS (with expiration date).
- 4 points … Unexpired foreign passport with valid visa and I-94 (stamp or form version).
- 4 points … Current photo employment authorization card (USCIS Form I-688B or I-766).
- 2 points … Current Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) issued by INS (without expiration date).
6 points of ID – Secondary List (cannot use more than two 1-point documents)
- 1 points … Unexpired standard photo driver license from NJ or any state, or US Territory, and the District of Columbia.
- 1 points … Unexpired standard non-driver identification card from NJ only.
- 1 points … Social Security card.
- 1 points … Bank/credit union statement or record (within the past 60 days).
- 1 points … ATM/debit card with preprinted name and applicant’s signature (ATM/debit card and bank statement cannot be submitted together).
- 1 points … Current health insurance card or prescription card displaying applicant’s name.
- 1 points … Current employee identification card with pay stub.
- 1 points … State professional license.
- 1 points … NJ public assistance card with photo (also known as an NJ Social Services identification card).
- 1 points … High school diploma, GED or college degree.
- 1 points … Property tax statement, bill or receipt issued by an NJ municipality.
- 1 points … For NJ high school students: a waiver certificate for the written portion of the driver’s test.
- 1 points … Veterans Administration universal access photo identification card.
- 2 points … Unexpired federal government employee driver license.
- 2 points … Unexpired federal government employee photo identification card.
- 2 points … US military discharge papers (Form DD-214).
- 2 points … FAA pilot license.
- 2 points … US school photo identification card with transcript or school records.
- 2 points … US college photo identification card with transcript.
- 3 points … Legal name change court order signed by a judge or court clerk.
- 3 points … Civil marriage or civil union certificate or divorce decree.
- 3 points … US adoption papers.
- 3 points … Current US military photo identification card.
- 3 points … Current US military dependent card.
- 3 points … US military photo retiree card.
- 3 points … NJ firearm purchaser card.
- 4 points … Unexpired REAL ID driver license, non-driver identification card, or probationary license from any state, US territory and the District of Columbia.
For an interactive version of these lists, www.realidnj.com/selector.