NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A man who was viciously beaten by a group of muggers and robbed of just $1 in the Bronx on Christmas Eve has died.

Sixty-year-old Juan Fresnada of the Bronx and his husband were walking around 1:25 a.m. Tuesday when they were approached by several individuals who allegedly demanded they hand over their property.

Juan Fresnada (Credit: Bayron Caceres)

Barely holding back tears 29-year-old Bayron Caceres – known as Chi Chi – recounted the early morning hours of Christmas Eve, when he and Fresenda were brutally attacked on Third Avenue near Boston Road.

“A friend of my husband called him and said come to Third Avenue. We’re going to have dinner. We went there,” Caceres said.

They never could have imagined those would be their final moments together. After dinner they made a pit stop. The victim says he and his husband were inside a deli when a man came in and tried to rob them.

“He says give me some money. I said I don’t have any money. He was really rude. He said give me your money or I’ll beat you up,” Caceres told CBS2’s Charlie Cooper.

The pair managed to run away but didn’t get very far.

“My husband said don’t get close to him. They just started throwing punches.”

Surveillance video captured the gruesome attack. The older man savagely whipped to the floor, punched, and stomped on. One of the attackers even hit him with a steel trash can.

Watch the video surveillance —

“They start beating me on my head and my whole body. They threw me on the floor. I hear my husband screaming police, police, police.”

When EMS arrived they found Fresnada on the ground in critical condition.

“They asked him if he knew his name. He just moved his head and that’s the last thing he did,” the victim’s husband added.

Police say the suspects walked away with just $1 after the brutal beating-turned-homicide.

“If they killed him they might kill somebody else. I don’t want anybody else to have the pain that I’m going through because it’s not fair.”

“He was generous, he was nice, he was loving, he was caring, and he didn’t deserve what happened to him at all,” a neighbor named Latisha added.

Caceres and friends who knew Fresnada are pleading for the public’s help to find the men who did this.

Anyone who has information regarding this incident is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-8477 or for Spanish, 1-888-577-4782. Tips can also be sent to the NYPDTips Twitter account or submitted online at NYPDCrimeStoppers.com.

Comments (16)
  1. Adolescents Development Foundation Inc. says:

Just for $1??? Not so sure. Rest in peace Juan.

Unfortunately there has been quite a number of homophobic killings of LGBTQ people.

Accept our condolences Bayron, friends and family of Late Juan Fresnada.

2. Dan says:

moments like this make me have little faith in humanity. Rest in peace, you’re far away from this bulls***t world!

3. Dan Olson says:

Exactly who you would figure the suspects to be.

4. Barry says:

New York daily News and NYT portraying the perps as misguided youths. Netflix waiting to do a story about them all in 5 years and give them the keys to the city. Deblasio wants them to lead the thanksgiving day parade next year.

1. S.D. Joe says:

Don’t forget their $40 million payday!
      I can only wonder why it is that lawmakers don’t next pass laws shutting down all the video-surveillance cameras in the city. After all, they overwhelmingly ruin the good times of countless people of color….

5. Fredo Duex says:

I wonder why Juan didnt mention that he and his husband support the new NO BAIL policy, protested the brutal NYPD at City Hall, and were even at an AOC rally event to close all the prisons and denounce the Cops as all racists… too bad he forgot to mention that. LGBTQ-MI stand with criminals.

6. sparkymcbiff says:

13% of the population does 53% of the crimes.

Welcome to diversity.

1. ladino says:

Actually, considering it’s almost entirely males within a certain age raise, it’s more like 5%.

7. J Ebrrems says:

Why aren’t the words “hate crime” in this article? If a Latino or white is victimized, the media ignores it because they can’t work up the masses for ratings.

8. tmillar007 says:

So very sad, condolences to family and friends

9. Shannon says:

An armed victim would have never died in this attack, but the suspects sure would have.

10. Richard says:

Niggas being niggas. Until these things are shot or otherwise made to fear the law this will continue. No foreign enemy can be the US but these things can as workers support them and they babymommas.

11. Sonya says:

Those are not men. Not in the least and they all deserve to die in the worst possible way imaginable before they get the chance to hurt someone else.

12. Melvin Talmadge says:

WELCOME TO NEW YORK CITY. A GUN FREE CITY – FOR YOUR PROTECTION. SMH

1. Frank Pentangeli says:

Riiight, because all the guns in Texas have done so much there to reduce crime.

1. fred says:

You’re much safer in TX than NYC, gun grabber, and studies show concealed carry reduces crime. Nice try with your proof by assertion argument, though.