MONSEY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — The suspect in a Monsey synagogue attack that left one man fighting for his life and injured several others has been indicted on a number of charges.

CBS2’s Tony Aiello reports a grand jury in Rockland County indicted 37-year-old Grafton Thomas on six counts of attempted murder, three counts of assault, three counts of attempted assault and two counts of burglary.

READ MORE: Connecticut Reports First Confirmed Case Of Omicron Variant

Thomas, of Greenwood Lake, New York, is accused of storming into a synagogue with a machete on Dec. 28 and attacking those inside.

NEW YORK SYNAGOGUE ATTACK: Family Of Comatose Victim Begs For An End To Hatred

One victim, 72-year-old Josef Neumann, remains in a coma and his family says the prognosis is dire.

Federal prosecutors allege the attacks were inspired by anti-Semitism.

“Mr. Thomas has been charged with a violent and heinous crime,” Rockland County District Attorney Thomas Walsh said Friday. “Fear has spread through our community and we must restore peace.”

READ MORE: Harlem Resident Who Helped Police Catch Suspect In Deadly Stabbing Recalls 'Unbelievable' Encounter With Alleged Killer

Watch: Officials Announce 6 Attempted Murder Charges Against Synagogue Attacker Grafton Thomas

Thomas’ attorney, Michael Sussman, argues his client struggles with mental illness.

“There are very serious issues about my client’s mental capabilities, competency,” he said Friday.

Thomas was being held in the Rockland County Jail but has now been moved to a federal facility. His bail is $5 million.

He faces a maximum of 25 years in state prison if convicted.

Meanwhile, Sussman announced he is fighting a federal subpoena demanding all the material the defense team took from Thomas’ cabin in Sullivan County. The defense team argues it should be allowed to complete its review of the material before turning over copies of everything as required by evidentiary rules.

MORE NEWS: Parents Of Michigan School Shooting Suspect Arrested After Manhunt

The defense also says the FBI knew about Thomas’ cabin and did not obtain a search warrant.