NEW CASSEL, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – Police say a case of carbon monoxide poisoning is to blame for four people being rushed to the hospital in Nassau County.

The close call for a family in New Cassel was thanks to a carbon monoxide detector that alerted them to danger, reports CBSN New York’s Caroline Gusoff.

READ MORE: New York State To Adopt New CDC Guidelines For Vaccinated People Starting This Wednesday, Cuomo Says

Westbury fire officials say they were called to a home on Swalm Street around 6:15 a.m. Monday morning. Inside they found four people, some of whom were unresponsive.

They had been asleep in the basement when fire officials say a carbon monoxide alarm went off.

READ MORE: Illegal Motorbike Riders Strike Again, This Time Attack 76-Year-Old Man In Inwood Park

Though they came upstairs, two adults and two children were taken to the hospital.

On Monday friends told CBS New York the family is on the mend at Nassau University Medical Center and are doing fine.

MORE NEWS: Human Resources Commissioner Steven Banks Talks To CBS2 About NYC's Plan To Get Homeless Off Subways

Fire officials say a basement gas burner is to blame.