NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A 90-year-old man was struck and killed in Chinatown early Saturday morning.
It happened at Canal Street and Elizabeth Street around 6:30 a.m.READ MORE: Attorney Says Current Whereabouts Of Brian Laundrie, Gabby Petito's Fiancé, Are Unknown
Police found the man lying in the street injured. He was rushed to Bellevue Hospital where he died.READ MORE: Teen Stabbed To Death After Dutchess County High School Football Game, Former Student Charged
Police say the victim was struck by a marked Department of Sanitation Ford Escape. The 61-year-old driver remained on the scene.
The investigation is ongoing.MORE NEWS: Caught On Video: Carmine's Hostess Attacked After Asking Tourists For Proof Of Vaccination
This is at least the eighth pedestrian struck and killed so far this year in New York City.
- 1/1: 74-year-old killed; victim was crossing the street when struck by a car
- 1/3: 70-year-old killed; victim was crossing the street when struck by a sedan which fled the scene
- 1/7: 10-year-old killed; truck was making a right turn
- 1/7: 68-year-old killed; victim was crossing mid-block when struck by a truck
- 1/10: 68-year-old killed; van was making a right turn
- 1/15: 67-year-old killed by car making a left turn
- 1/16: Adult woman killed; truck fled the scene in Brooklyn
- 1/25: Elderly pedestrian struck and killed in Chinatown