Sources told CBS2 it appears the incident was accidental, possibly the result of cleaning solution that wasn’t properly removed from the shake machine.
READ MORE: NYPD Detective Shot While Executing Search Warrant On Staten Island
After a thorough investigation by the NYPD’s Manhattan South investigators, it has been determined that there was no criminality by shake shack’s employees.
— Chief Rodney Harrison (@NYPDDetectives) June 16, 2020
Three officers became sick Monday after drinking shakes from the restaurant located at Broadway and Fulton Street.
Police initially suspected an employee may have contaminated the shakes with bleach.
READ MORE: Search Continues For Gunman After 11-Month-Old Shot By Stray Bullet In Bronx
Our team is working hard to get the full picture. In the meantime, we’re relieved to hear the officers are all okay. https://t.co/rjJYFSYjZc
— SHAKE SHACK (@shakeshack) June 16, 2020
Employees were questioned, and a shake sample was taken to a lab for testing.
The officers were hospitalized, but have since been released.MORE NEWS: Garden State Parkway Reopens After Fire Shut Down Lanes In Both Directions
Note: This post was updated at 4:30 a.m. on June 16, 2020.