NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — There’s a new warning about a bizarre scam surrounding face masks.
Federal officials say cards claiming that someone is exempt from wearing a mask in public are fake.
— US Attorney MDNC (@USAO_MDNC) June 26, 2020
One phony card claims businesses trying to enforce the rule by requiring the card carrier to wear a mask will face tens of thousands of dollars in fines.
- Resources, Hotlines, Unemployment & Covering Bills
- Remote Learning Tools For Parents Teaching At Home
- Ask Dr. Max Your Health Questions
- How Make Your Own DIY Face Mask
- How To Safely Remove Disposable Gloves
- Tips For Parents To Help Kids Cope
- Chopper 2 Over Empty NYC Streets, Landmarks
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
Investigators also say the FTBA, or Freedom to Breathe Agency, is not part of the government.
Cards have surfaced in the New York area and other parts of the country.