WASHINGTON (CBSNewYork) — Republicans are set to unveil a new stimulus aid package as soon as Monday.
The package would include $1,200 checks to many Americans.
RELATED STORY: Will You See A Second Stimulus Payment?
The Trump Administration says it will not renew the unemployment benefits of $600 extra per week. Instead, the new proposed aid package would pay roughly 70% of applicants’ wages prior to unemployment.
- What To Do If Someone Isn’t Social Distancing Or Wearing A Mask?
- Expert: Parents Be Mindful Of Children’s Stress After Months Of Isolation
- CBS2’s Dr. Max Answers Your Health Questions
- Chopper 2 Over Empty NYC Streets, Landmarks
- Resources, Hotlines, Unemployment & Covering Bills
- Remote Learning Tools For Parents Teaching At Home
- How To Safely Remove Disposable Gloves
- How Make Your Own Face Covering
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer wants to extend the current package until Jan. 31.
“We should not give a 30% pay cut to those who lost their jobs through no fault of their own. This, the unemployment insurance has kept millions out of poverty, prevented the recession from becoming a depression. We need to extend it,” he said.
“The original unemployment benefits actually paid people to stay home, and actually, a lot of people got more money staying at home than they would going back to work,” White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said.
The White House says the package will also include tax credits for small businesses and restaurants.