NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The NYPD confirms actor Rick Moranis was randomly attacked by a stranger Thursday on the Upper West Side.

Police said it happened in broad daylight just before 7:30 a.m. on Central Park West near 70th Street.

Surveillance cameras captured the attack on the 67-year-old “Honey I Shrunk the Kids” and “Ghostbusters” actor.

Video shows the suspect, ironically wearing an “I Love New York” sweatshirt, walk up and punch Moranis in the head, knocking him to the ground.

Police said Moranis went to the hospital with pain in his head, back and hip. He later walked to the precinct to report the crime.

The NYPD’s new community affairs rapid response team checked on Moranis, as it does with many victims of violent crimes to offer support, groceries, or anything they may need.

“He’s doing well. He’s strong. He’s recovering. He has some injuries to his left side,” Det. Kaz Daughtry told CBS2’s Jenna DeAngelis.

“He just wants to stay home. He just wants to recover and he just wants peace of mind,” said Officer Jonadel Dorrejo.

Meantime, the search continues for the suspect. Police are asking the public to be on the lookout.

Moranis’ management team told CBS2 he is “fine, but grateful for everyone’s thoughts and well wishes.”

Neighbors said he’s a very nice guy, and they were shocked to hear about the unprovoked attack.

“That why we moved here – to be safe,” said resident Jonathan Kurtin. “Everything’s been good, but I guess trying times. People do strange things, and they’re not always nice… You’ll be looking over your shoulder a lot more often.”

“I’m worried about the whole situation. I’m worried about the fact that everybody’s troubled and they’re so troubled there’s more crime,” a woman who lives in the same building as Moranis said.

She also left him a note.

“I said I was really sorry to hear about it. It must’ve been scary,” she said. “We were on the board together of this building. Nice guy. Really nice guy.”

Moranis has been off the big screen for years to focus on his children after his wife’s passing, but recently appeared in a Mint Mobile commercial with Ryan Reynolds.

Reynolds tweeted Friday:

Anyone with information about the attack is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477), or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). You can also submit a tip via their website or on Twitter, @NYPDTips. All calls are kept confidential.

You can get the latest news, sports and weather on our brand new CBS New York appDownload here.

Comments (102)
  1. JJ says:

Just another crackbaby.. I wish to god something like this would happen around me.. Fortunately for the coward crackbabies, they do it when nobody is around..

2. Thatguy says:

WHY? The eternal question!
    Suddenly my innate paranoia seems insufficient.
    Having a smoke in my driveway this morning, I got 3 “Good Mornings” and a hair flip from a cutie! I guess I shouldn’t let my guard down because I’m as harmless as Rick.

3. givethemtents says:

Public Assistance creates the incentive to take Father’s out of the home.

4. give them tents says:

LIberals take Father’s out of the home.

5. Chris Platt says:

Some untreated mentally ill roam the streets – others post lunatic comments here.
    Trump really opened the floodgates for you. You are his enabler, and he is yours!
    I am confident the wingnut contingent will be quite a bit quieter after November…

6. Mr_Magoo says:

Ving Rhames! Why did you punch Rick?

7. Roger Dodger says:

The editor and CBS ***CLEARLY*** had no primary interest in making the public safer by ensuring the most people got a look at the perp’s face!

A-hole editors produced this video. How many typical viewers would watch this overly-long piece until the very end to FINALLY get a look at the perpetrator? I support real BLM. I support ending police brutality. I am a liberal. I also have empathy and common freakin’ sense! When a criminal commits a hurtful, violent crime and the editor has a clear picture of his face, the editor is MORALLY obligated to do something by quickly sharing that image with the community, near the beginning of the video and later at least at the end to reinforce the memory of how it looks. Instead, the editor hid away that face.

The editor clearly thinks trying to catch violent criminals is not as important as…what? What other agenda do you have, editor? You would have had the same or even more advertising clicks by showing the criminals face, so what are you hiding editor-in-chief? Why are you so afraid to show the criminal’s clear face until a token moment at the end of the video? Explain yourself, editor-in-chief. You owe us that!

8. Jukester says:

When you get knocked get out your Glock.

9. Frank Verebi says:

Wow! So random colored man unprovoked strikes and knocks down random Caucasian man. Nobody says racist act or hate crime. WTF people? If we are equal, then we don’t convolute perspective.

10. Jeff S. says:

Liberal on Liberal Crime. I can’t pretend to care.

11. J West says:

Another misbehaving tutsoon. Who would have imagined.