NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The COVID-19 pandemic is taking its toll on winter high school sports in New York.
The New York State Public High School Athletic Association has canceled the 2021 winter state championships for all high-risk sports.
They say it’s due to concerns about safe travel and lodging.
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Explanation Of N.Y.’s Yellow, Orange, Red Zones (.pdf)
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
Additionally, all high-risk sports have been postponed until state officials give them the go-ahead.
High-risk sports include basketball, competitive cheerleading, football, ice hockey, volleyball and wrestling.
MORE FROM CBS NEW YORK