NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — COVID-19 cases are surging across the U.S. even as vaccination efforts pick up.
The nation’s top doctors pleaded with states Monday to pause reopening plans as a fourth surge of the coronavirus threatens the country, CBS2’s Christina Fan reported.READ MORE: 18-Year-Old Saadiq Teague Arrested After Being Spotted With AK-47 At Times Square Subway Station
CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky grew emotional as she implored Americans to not let their guards down.
“I’m going to lose the script, and I’m going to reflect on the recurring feeling I have of impending doom,” Walensky said. “We have so much to look forward to, so much promise and potential of where we are, and so much reason for hope. But right now I’m scared.”
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
The U.S. is averaging about 60,000 cases per day – a 10% increase compared to the previous week.
The surge comes as the country is administering COVID vaccines at a faster pace than ever, but also reopening on a larger scale.
President Joe Biden, when asked, said he does believe some states should pause their reopening efforts. The Biden administration did not clarify which states.READ MORE: COVID Vaccine In New York: Walk-In Appointments Offered To All New Yorkers Over 50 At City-Run Sites
“We know this virus is many times more transmissible indoors – and you’ve heard that from us, I think, hundreds of times – than it is outdoors. So any type of larger gathering is safer for everyone if it can be held outside,” Murphy said.
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
“Still keep gatherings small, observe social distancing, wear a mask,” said de Blasio.
Public health officials said other causes for the surge include increased travel and new variants that have been detected in the U.S.
Dr. Walensky said she will speak with governors on Tuesday to try to convince them to buckle down and refrain from reopening too quickly.MORE NEWS: Discarded Tombstone Spotted On Empty Lot Raising Questions In Paramus
CBS2’s Christina Fan contributed to this report.