NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Two New York nonprofits teamed up Friday for a combination food and COVID vaccination drive.
The event was held at the Plaza Del Sol Family Health Center in Corona, Queens.READ MORE: President Biden Makes Vaccination Push As Concerns Over Delta Variant Increase
Organizers Urban Health Plan and Grow NYC say the community was greatly impacted by the pandemic.
Food insecurity remains a problem as well as access to the COVID-19 vaccine.READ MORE: New York Scaling Back Mass COVID Vaccination Sites, Adding Pop-Ups At Early Voting Locations
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
Organizers say Latinos have one of the lowest vaccination rates in the country.
“We want to understand why people are not vaccinated and see how we can teach or talk about it because sometimes it’s either a lack of knowledge, sometimes it’s wrong information or sometimes it’s they’re afraid,” said Luis Marrero, director of external affairs for Urban Health Plan.MORE NEWS: New Jersey Hits COVID Vaccination Milestone 2 Weeks Early
People can get vaccinated at the health center Monday through Saturday, no appointment needed.