NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Improving COVID numbers have prompted the New York City Department of Education to lift restrictions on school sports competitions.
Under previous restrictions, high-risk sports like basketball, volleyball and wrestling were allowed, but only outdoors. Now, they will be allowed to move back inside for competitions.
No spectators will be allowed — only players, coaches and essential personnel — and masks will be required.
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
The changes take effect immediately, allowing a citywide basketball tournament to move back indoors, avoiding the threat of rain this weekend.