NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The victim of the most recent subway slashing is speaking out about the ordeal as a passenger rights group calls on the governor to intervene.

A bandage covers the gash on Ashish Sanwal’s arm after he was slashed on the platform of the 2/3 line at 110th Street station in Harlem on Thursday evening.

READ MORE: NYPD Officer Jason Rivera Fatally Shot, Officer Wilbert Mora Critically Injured Responding To Harlem Domestic Dispute

Sanwal said he let another passenger with a puppy through the emergency gate after they couldn’t make it through the turnstile.

“Then he walked to another guy who was already standing on the platform before me and started talking to him about why he didn’t let him in before,” Sanwal told CBS2’s Aundrea Cline-Thomas.

An argument lead to blows, and the man with the dog stabbed the other passenger.

“Before I know, they were right behind me on the floor fighting, and the puppy, or the dog, that the guy was carrying was still on a leash,” Sanwal said.

Video shows Sanwal bleeding moments after. He says he was not trying to intervene and didn’t know how he was slashed.

READ MORE: 'The Loss Of A Hero': New York Mourns Death Of 22-Year-Old NYPD Officer Jason Rivera

The advocacy group Passengers United has made pleas to the mayor and MTA about addressing subway crime. Now, it’s taking its concerns to the governor.

“We’re asking the governor, since he runs the MTA and since the MTA is under his authority … Bring in 300 state troopers,” Passengers United President Charlton D’Souza said.

More than 3,000 NYPD officers are now patrolling stations. Still, D’Souza believes they are spread too thin, and for the first time, Passengers United is telling customers to ride at their own risk.

“I’m going to be a lot more cautious now and I’m going to pay attention around my surroundings,” Sanwal said.

It’s another incident adding to mounting concerns about subway safety.

MORE NEWS: Lashawn McNeil, Suspect In Deadly Harlem Police Shooting, Was On Probation, Had 5 Prior Arrests

The suspect ran away with his dog after the incident. A knife was recovered at the scene.

Aundrea Cline-Thomas