NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York City is starting a new effort to get students, parents and staff vaccinated ahead of the upcoming school year.
Vaccinations will be offered at Summer Rising programs being held at public schools, including one clinic that opened Monday at Fort Hamilton High School in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Eventually, vaccines will be available at 25 sites across the five boroughs.READ MORE: MTA To Start Issuing $50 Fines To Riders Not Wearing Masks
East Flatbush mother Renee Vincent told CBS2’s John Dias she’s keeping an open mind now that she and her 14-year-old son can get vaccinated at his learning program.
“It’s possible that we can do it today,” Vincent said. “I had corona really badly, and I don’t want to go through that again.”
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
The latest push aims to get the city’s youngest eligible population — 12 to 17 year olds — and their families vaccinated. But will people take advantage of it?
“It’ll do some good. There will be a few people who will take it, and it’s worth it,” Staten Island resident Steve Tsavlis said.READ MORE: Judge Lifts Temporary Pause On Vaccine Mandate For NYC Teachers And Other City Workers, Who Now Must Be Vaccinated By Monday
“I think it’s safe. Safe for him and it’s safe for our family members,” said Bay Ridge resident Jay Ling.
The mayor’s office says 44% of the age group have already received their first dose. But some students Dias spoke with were still reluctant.
“I don’t know, I’m just going to wait,” freshman Christopher Ruiz said. “I don’t trust it.”
“I’m thinking about it, but I have to ask my parents,” another student added.
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
Minors must have verbal consent from a parent at the time of their shot, and those 15 and younger must be accompanied by an adult.MORE NEWS: 'I Want A Proper Education': Some NYC Public School Students With Medical Exemptions From In-Person Instruction Feel They're Falling Behind
The schools chancellor encourages all families to get their eligible kids their first dose by August 9, so they are fully vaccinated by the start of the school year.