As CBS2’s Dr. Max Gomez reported, the company plans to apply for authorization by the end of the month.
Anxiety has been growing among parents and teachers as children head back to school, and the elementary school age group and their close contacts have not been shielded with a vaccine.
The need is urgent, Gomez reported. Children now account for more than 1 in 5 new cases, and the highly contagious Delta variant has sent more children into hospitals and intensive care units in the past few weeks than any other time during the pandemic.
Pfizer’s clinical trial of more than 2,200 children ages 5 to 11 showed the group developed a strong antibody response.READ MORE: Dr. Max Gomez On How Colin Powell's Medical Conditions May Have Played A Role In His Death Due To COVID Complications
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
“It’s effectively the same vaccine that’s being used in adults, but in a lower dose. Pfizer tested multiple doses to find the optimal dose that had the best compromise between reducing the number of vaccine-related side effects, while still providing efficacy that’s on par with what we saw in 16 to 25-year-olds. So this is basically one-third of the dose that’s already approved in adults,” Pfizer board member and former U.S. Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb said.
Gottlieb said even though children rarely become severely ill, if they are unvaccinated, they can spread the virus to family members, teachers and grandparents who are vulnerable to severe disease or death.
Pfizer will shortly apply for emergency use authorization, which could come from the FDA by the end of October. Trial results for children under the age of 5 are not expected until the fourth quarter of the year at the earliest.MORE NEWS: COVID Vaccine Mandate Takes Effect For Workers At New Jersey Schools, Colleges, Universities And State Agencies
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC’S COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC’s COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage