Detection efforts were expanded at four of the nation’s busiest international airports, including two in our area.READ MORE: Pfizer Begins Study Of COVID Vaccine Geared Toward Omicron Variant
The U.S. imposed new restrictions on travel from eight southern African countries late last week.
The CDC director said the agency is working with the company XpresCheck to conduct testing at airports.READ MORE: New York State Supreme Court Strikes Down Gov. Kathy Hochul's Mask Mandate
“This program allows for increased COVID testing for specific international arrivals, increasing our capacity to identify those with COVID-19 on arrival to the United States and enhancing our surveillance for the Omicron variant,” said CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
The World Heath Organization advises that people 60 and older who are not vaccinated or have not previously had COVID postpone travel.
President Joe Biden is expected to further outline the nation’s plans to control the pandemic in a speech Thursday.MORE NEWS: New York Seeing Progress In Fight Against Omicron Surge
Meanwhile, Brazil, France and Japan have joined the rapidly expanding list of countries to report cases of the Omicron variant.