NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The number of new coronavirus cases is now rising across in the Tri-State Area.
On Tuesday, New York City reported 2,050 new cases. New York state reported 8,200 new cases, up from 3,400 a month ago.READ MORE: Residents Living In Multi-Family Homes Running Into Issues Getting Their Fed-Issued At-Home COVID Tests Through USPS
There’s a similar increase in New Jersey, where more than 4,100 new cases have been reported, compared to 3,200 last month.
In Connecticut, cases nearly doubled last month to more than 1,900 new cases reported Tuesday.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
As CBS2’s Dr. Max Gomez explains, the first and most important thing to remember is that these are preliminary studies, meaning that they have yet to be fully evaluated by outside scientists.
Equally important is that these were laboratory studies, meaning that Pfizer measured antibodies in test tubes from people after a booster shot and compared that to antibody levels that have been shown to be protective in real-world vaccinated people.
That said, the laboratory data indicate a third dose of the Pfizer vaccine increases neutralizing antibodies by 25 times compared to two doses against the Omicron variant, but that two doses still help fight it.READ MORE: Congressional House Hearing Held To Discuss COVID's Impact On Arts Industry
Dr. Anthony Fauci said that’s encouraging news.
“At the level of protection, at least from a laboratory parameter, that you get when you get a third shot boost, and even some protection that you may get against severe disease with just two shots, it really is quite good,” Fauci said.
Even more encouraging, according to Fauci, is that getting a short series of shots may mean that we won’t need annual boosters to maintain immunity against many coronaviruses.
“You broaden the breadth and perhaps even the durability of protection,” Fauci said.
- Complete COVID Vaccine Coverage
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC’S COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC’s COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
Pfizer also says that it is continuing to develop a specific vaccine against the Omicron variant, and expects to have it available by March.
Because the Moderna vaccine and booster are almost identical in makeup to the Pfizer booster, it is believed Moderna will offer a similar level of Omicron protection.MORE NEWS: Tri-State Area's Latest COVID Statistics Offer Signs Of Optimism
Until then, the early data are yet another reason to get a booster shot now.