“We still have a life to live,” Meghan Hartson of Yonkers told CBS2’s Cory James.
“I got the three shots,” said Thomas Joyce of Neptune, New Jersey.
“I feel like as long as everyone wears their masks and are vaccinated, we should be good,” added Suzanne Schiller of Bergen County.
The legendary singer’s Monday night show brought out thousands.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
Neil Stevens said he traveled some 3,000 miles from the United Kingdom to see the star perform, and the tourist added he feels more at ease here with the virus.
“You people seem to be handling a lot more better. In the United Kingdom, I don’t feel safe,” Stevens said.
While Broadway shows like “The Music Man” opened for the first time Monday evening, producers for “Jagged Little Pill” announced that the show is shutting down for good.
And other shows have temporary closures, including “Alladin,” “Ain’t Too Proud, “Dear Evan Hansen,” “Hadestown,” “Hamilton,” and “Harry Potters and the Cursed Child.”READ MORE: Billy Joel Sets Dates For Six Make-Up Concerts At Madison Square Garden
Sean Haydin said Broadway shows are the soul of New York City and the heartbeat for Midtown restaurants.
His restaurant, Valerie, will also be closing for a week after some of his staff tested positive.
“You were there, yourself, and your crew two weeks ago and things were hopping and it was very busy, and everything was great and we were really getting back on track and then all of a sudden this was out of left field,” Haydin said.
- Complete COVID Vaccine Coverage
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC’S COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC’s COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
Meanwhile, Mayor Bill de Blasio is suggesting people make changes to their plans.
“I do advise older adults or others at higher risks to skip optional activities, particularly in crowded settings, at least for the next few weeks,” city Health Commissioner Dave Chokshi said.
Some are trusting the safety measures in place to keep them safe.
“Honestly, I have to give credit to Madison Square Garden because I’ve seen a few shows before even Billy Joel and they’ve done amazing jobs just keeping our safety in mind,” said Gianna Villani of the Bronx.
“We have masks … and I think we’ll be okay because everybody has to be vaccinated,” Joyce added.MORE NEWS: Billy Joel's Long Island Home Burglarized, Motorcycles Damaged
And for many concertgoers, that is enough.