EAST HAVEN, Conn. (CBSNewYork) — Fire investigators are warning of a new social media challenge that left a Connecticut child seriously burned.

The experiment is called the “Whoosh Bottle Challenge,” named after the sound it makes. People pour rubbing alcohol into a plastic jug and then light it on fire.

READ MORE: Mayor Adams Vows Crackdown On Drivers And Cyclists Who Fail To Yield For Pedestrians: 'Stop, Let Them Cross'

Authorities say the boy was injured Tuesday in East Haven is being treated at a burn center.

READ MORE: New Jersey Announces COVID Vaccine And Booster Mandate For Health Care Workers And High-Risk Settings

The fire marshal says parents should talk to their children about the dangers.

“Open a line of communication with your children to talk about these experiments and what they are seeing on TikTok because talking to them will hopefully be able to reduce these incidences,” East Haven Fire Marshal Charles Miller said.

MORE NEWS: Biden Administration To Give Out 400 Million Free N95 Masks

Authorities remind everyone that fire is not a toy and the challenge could have been deadly.

CBSNewYork Team