YONKERS, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Many suburban school districts in our area are starting the new year by going remote.
Dozens of districts in New Jersey, Long Island and Westchester have COVID cancelations of in-person instruction.READ MORE: Mayor Adams Vows Crackdown On Drivers And Cyclists Who Fail To Yield For Pedestrians: 'Stop, Let Them Cross'
Some parents were disappointed the district is all remote until the middle of January.
“I like to keep my kids safe. At the same time, two weeks is a bit much,” said parent Jackie DePaula.
At School 9 in Yonkers, third grade teacher Michelle Lopes sat in an empty classroom, with her students home for an extra week after the holiday break.
“You got a tablet? Perfect timing! How did Santa know we were gonna be online this week?” Lopes said.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
It was a sudden pivot for Yonkers Superintendent Edwin Quezada, who last week announced a “test to stay” plan to open schools Jan. 3, but as results came in, the positivity rate was worrisome.
“We tested over 3,000 people. Seven hundred and forty of them came out positive,” Quezada said. “The district and I will not compromise with the safety and well-being of our students and staff.”
As school superintendents grapple with these difficult decisions the Biden Administration is urging them to find ways to keep kids in the classroom.
“We have better tools than we had in the past to get it done. We know what works, and I believe even with Omicron, our default should be in-person learning for all students across the country,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona.
- Complete COVID Vaccine Coverage
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC’S COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC’s COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
The School 9 principal hopes parents understand teachers are doing their best to make remote learning engaging.
“We teach our kids the skills and the concepts and we give them the best that they need, but it’s always better in person, for both the teachers and for the kids, their social-emotional well-being,” said principal Dr. Michelle Yazurlo.MORE NEWS: Biden Administration To Give Out 400 Million Free N95 Masks
She hopes the situation allows for return to in-person on Jan. 10, but note, it’s written in erasable marker.