Stefanie Scott, of Harlem, says when it comes to her mask, it’s all about the fit.READ MORE: Health Experts Say N95 Face Masks Offer Best COVID Protection; How To Make Sure They Are Most Effective
“Some of them, you know, just are really claustrophobic. I can’t breathe in them. They are too close to my mouth and my nose,” she said.
For India Robinson, it depends on where she’s going.
“I wear this [cloth] one when we’re going outside and we’re not going in an enclosed space. If I was going in a crowded area, I would wear an N95,” she said.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
With Omicron now exploding, some say they will take a close look at the numbers to decide whether to go to the N95 mask.
“If the death rate is really high, then yeah, I’ll probably switch over,” one person said.
It appears many are already making a mask upgrade for adults and kids. Sales at places like Value Drugs in Eastchester are on the rise. People are buying up N95s, but also are making sure their kids aren’t wearing cloth masks anymore.READ MORE: Indoor Mask Mandate Lifted In Stamford
“Our N95 masks have seen an uptick in sales, and we’ve been having a higher demand for kids surgical masks, too,” said Michael Carugan, of Value Drugs.
Some companies are also now requiring N95 masks be worn on the job instead of the surgical masks.
“Why is the N95 mask that much better?” CBS2’s Dick Brennan asked infectious disease specialist Dr. David Goldberg, of New York Presbyterian Medical Group.
“The N95 can keep out small aerosol particles which might carry the virus. The surgical masks do not keep out the small aerosol particles,” Goldberg said.
- Complete COVID Vaccine Coverage
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC’s COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC’s COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
Goldberg says if you are healthy and vaccinated and just want to go to the supermarket, a surgical mask will do, but he says certain people should only wear the N95 mask.
“If you are immunocompromised for some reason, if you have risk factors such as advanced age or diabetes, or if you haven’t been immunized, then you really should wear the N95,” Goldberg said.MORE NEWS: NYPD Commissioner Says Unmasked Officer Caught On Video Pushing Masked Commuter Will Be Disciplined
He also says the cloth mask is of little value and only wear it if you’re desperate. He says now you need a surgical mask at minimum to keep safe.