N.J. Police Won’t Enforce Smoking Ban

DENVILLE, N.J. (1010 WINS/AP/WCBS 880) —  Smokers can continue lighting up in a northern New Jersey community despite a new anti-smoking ordinance.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Levon Putney reports from Denville

Police in Denville say they’re not going to enforce it until the town posts signs.

The ordinance — which bans smoking on bleachers, sidewalks, and in parking lots at municipal parks and recreation areas — took effect Wednesday.

First-time offenders face fines of up to $100, or up to two days community service. Denville officials are not sure when the signs will be available.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Marie says:

Why don’t they just have bathroom police now and fine people who don’t wash their hands after using the toilet, that is a health risk for everyone too, is it not? When and where does it stop?

2. Cara says:

Obviously it is not enough that we in NJ pay the highest real estate taxes to support huge salary and benefits of our useless town pencil pushers. Now they create more ridiculous laws to steal even more money from us. I wish all the money they steal are to be use strictly for their medical bills (and I wish them to have plenty of those). Amen!

3. Don says:

I think nail biting would be a bigger health risk for that guy.

4. Binky says:

Hey Frankie,
    A pool that’s not where it should be or not properly installed can cause a lot of damage. Building permits and such are a good thing.

Sorry, regulations are needed. Expecting everyone to do the right thing is naive.
    I’ll say it again. If smokers lit up responsibly and put their used butts where they belong this law never would have been put forward.

The world is too crowded for a free-for-all.

5. frankie says:

hey Binky!!! SHUT UP!!!! Smoker or not, these laws are infringing on our rights. Its only a way to get more money out of the tax payer. Big brother..oh yeah and using google satellite to see who has a illegal pool in their backyard is ok too. Open your eyes..we are all screwed….smoker or not…peace.

6. Nancy says:

OMG !! Look at that picture and those finger nails!!! That should be outlawed too!!
    GROSS!!

7. Binky says:

Hey smokers. Your cigarettes stink and they’re a health risk to you and to people close to you while you smoke.
    If smokers had the decency to smoke away from people and to properly discard their used butts (no, it’s not ok to throw them wherever you please) laws such as this one would never come to be.
    The reality is that most smokers wouldn’t think twice about smoking in the public library and putting their used but out on the floor if there was no law to prevent them from doing so.

1. Moe iii says:

At least get it right. Their not a health risk to others, just the smoker.

1. moe iii says:

forces.ord

8. Mary says:

What if the cops are smoking themselves? Will they write tickets on their own name or to their buddies? I really want to see this happen! NJ Towns will create any laws these days just to make extra money for themselves, as if NJ Real Estate Tax rip-off is not enough. I really hate NJ and its entire greedy bureaucracy!.Thanks God, I am moving to another State soon.

9. Jeff from NJ says:

Is there a sign to tell you not to kill somebody in the parking lot? Ignorance is no excuse for the law. You’re responsible for knowing it and following it. If you want to smoke, sit in your living room and puff away.

10. caroolyn k says:

I’m glad I don’t live in Denville. What the state should do instead is ban cell phone use except for emergencies. These ridiculous converations I hear on the bus or wherever want to make me smoke more. I have been exposed to “second hand smoike” practically since the day I was born and starting smoking at 13 and I have made it this far. It’s getting absurd with the anti-smoking policies.

11. chris r says:

I saw to begin fining obese personnel..those that look fat – should be fined on the spot- those that are reapeat overeaters and continue to show growth should be sent to a fat camp

12. Joe the plumber says:

Let’s take away all freedoms. Does it look like this guy can afford 100 dollar fines? And what happened to the constitution freedom of pursuit of happiness?

1. Larry says:

My happiness counts too and when someone is smoking near me they are infringing on my right to breath clean air and not subject me to the cancer that they don’t seem to care about.

13. anna says:

I agree with police untill signs are up no charges

Comments are closed.