WFAN Announces Fantasy Phenom Finalists

Sports Radio 66, WFAN’s “Fantasy Phenom Challenge” has narrowed its field to five finalists who will vie for the Grand Prize of a chance to host a once a week air shift on WFAN for one year. The finals of the first annual “Fantasy Phenom Challenge” will take place on Friday, August 27, at Bar A, Lake Como, New Jersey. The event will be broadcast live on the Mike Francesa program between 1:00-6:30 pm, on-air, streaming online at www.wfan.com, through mobile devices and simulcast on the YES television network. WFAN listeners are invited to Bar A to attend the event and watch the competition live.

The five “Fantasy Phenom” finalists are all local to the New York Metropolitan area and were chosen from over 2,000 fans and loyal listeners who showed up at the auditions., Auditions were held at area malls this July, as well as at local Buffalo Wild Wings Restaurants throughout New York and New Jersey. The opening round of candidates were narrowed down to 50 semi-finalists and eventually to the five finalists. The semi-finals were also held at area Buffalo Wild Wings Restaurants.

Here are the five finalists:

1. Otis Harper, Roselle, New Jersey

2. John Shea, Wantagh, New York

3. Patrick Creighton, Bethpage, New York

4. Gregg Sussman, Manalapan, New Jersey

5. Al Renauto, White Plains, New York

“It’s been quite an exciting summer as we’ve heard from so many people who are looking to be a part of this once in a lifetime opportunity to host a weekly radio show on New York’s pre-eminent sports station, WFAN,” says Vice President of Programming, CBS RADIO New York and WFAN Operations Manager Mark Chernoff.

“We’ve seen a lot of talent in the New York area and hope that everyone who participated enjoyed the experience, and also found that it’s not as easy as it might seem to be a sports talk show host. Our own Joe Benigno began his radio journey through a WFAN contest back in 1995 and we’re excited at the prospect of finding another star in the making. We thank Buffalo Wild Wings and all of our sponsors for their participation in the WFAN Fantasy Phenom challenge.”

For more information and full details on the WFAN FANTASY PHENOM CHALLENGE go to www.wfan.com.

WFAN’s Fantasy Phenom Rules & More Info

csb WFAN Announces Fantasy Phenom Finalists

Comments

1. David says:

The videos are cool, I like the background.

2. Warren says:

Personally I think The FAN selected the five right finalists! After listening to them over and over, I’ve made my selection of the winner. I think I’d pick Gregg. His rants have been interesting, and he has a voice that is made for radio. An excellent choice I think!

1. Lee says:

how could you have listened to all of the rants when they didnt post all of them?

1. Warren says:

I followed them from the beginning of the posts….why>

3. Nick G. (aka the Goldenboy, Stamford group) says:

Congratulations to the 5 Finalists! Pat I’m definitely hoping you bring this one home for the Stamford All-Star group.

1. The Mouth of the South says:

Thats RIGHT!!! Our group was the best of the bunch, therefore Patrick is most prepped to take this all the way. LETS GO CREIGHTON!!

4. Jake says:

Hmmmmm… I wonder why they didn’t post the other finalists from the night AL won….

5. Lee says:

IT looks like Al was handpicked before hand… he’s got a history with Beningo… mark my words he’s the one that’s going to win… and his rant clearly wasn’t the best from the other night…

6. Nicki says:

Wow!!! WFAN, are you serious!!! Top 5 should have been Greg Sussman, Daniel Stratford, Chris Garay, Pat Totaro and Frank Espinal. Who picked these guys!!!!

7. Damian says:

FAN should be embarrassed. If this was rigged to give Al his own talk show by pitting against 4 really weak contestants, why not just hire Al and not waste everyone’s time. It’s not like he’d be hard to find. He calls pretty much every day.

8. DD says:

I watched several of the guys in the last couple of weeks; you guys clearly DID NOT pick the top 5

9. Jake says:

My only complaint was that they picked one from each night. What if there was two great ones on the first night and none on the second?

10. Zach says:

Wondering if everyone had to pick their own finalists who they’d be?

1. Paul says:

Ralph from Manhattan.

11. Peter says:

The five finalists: 1. YAWN!!! (2) Really? San Antonio Holmes? Who is he? 3. Annoying!!! FYI Patrick: This is not an audition for The Cartoon Network 4. Huh?! Why??? (5) Al said that Red Sox has the best lefty and righty pitching combination in baseball with Beckett and Buchholz…which one of them is the lefty?

12. Tim says:

I had to turn the volume WAY down on John. I can’t believe FAN would be looking for a guy to do a Jet pom-pom party. Otis was very bland. Greg and Patrick are EMBARRASSINGLY bad. The only one that did a good job was Al, but we never saw the guys he was up against. Was this a real contest? .

1. Evan says:

Yea well tim just because your depressing doesnt mean the rest of us have to be. there is nothing wrong with confidence and hope in your team. you should try it sometime…

13. Francisco says:

The real talent search would have resulting in the selection of the top 5 OVERALL. Period. There is no way around it. Don’t pee on my back and tell me it’s raining guys.

14. Albert says:

Who does WFAN remind you guys of right now? Making a boneheaded decision and doing it in the least appetizing way…Lebron James, anyone? They didn’t feel the need to call anyone in advance to let them down the right way-they made everyone tune in to the big francesa spot to have their hopes and dreams shattered LIVE. Disgusting.

15. Evan says:

Congrats to all the finalists, but I’m rooting for Gregg. His enthusiasm is contagious and I would love listening to him on WFAN. Best of luck!

16. Johnny C. says:

yeah, it seems like the FAN really got it wrong this time. I was absolutely SHOCKED at the people who made it. The only one I agree with is AL…..

17. Tamer says:

One of the Semifinalists here as well. Congrats to John, Patrick, Oris, Gregg and Al. Best of luck in the finals.

18. ShakeandBake12 says:

Gregg is by far the best. He’s the only one with anything real to say, and has the passion and charisma to say it well. MADE FOR RADIO

19. Chet-West Nyack Group says:

Otis my man. Congrats fella. Go get it done at Bar A.

20. george says:

This is clearly not the best of all that I have seen it was a sham!!!!!!!!!!
    Not cool guys not at all!!!!!

21. Bookie says:

Gregg – hands down – best. Only one with an interesting rant instead of an actual one.

22. Glenn says:

Thought Al from White Plains did the best job..

23. Dan (Eatontown) says:

Congrats to those who moved on. It was a great time participating. And wish em nothing but the best.

24. Jeremy (West Nyack) says:

Just wanted to echo Daren: congrats Otis! You were phenomenal and the honor is well deserved.

The whole experience was extremely rewarding and a great deal of fun.

25. The Mouth of the South says:

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE FINALISTS AND Congratulations to all the finalists.

I would like to thank the FAN for the opportunity to perform in the semi-finals and to my boy Patrick! GO GET EM IN THE FINALS MAN!! I BELIEVE IN YOU!!

John “Mouth of the South” Schiavone

26. Mark says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an embarrassing blunder in all of my adult life. For the station that has turned into “New York’s lazy monopoly,” WFAN proved once again that it is not interested in moving forward. Clearly, this contest was a big sham designed to boost ratings and advertising dollars at the expense of the hopes and dreams of thousands. The funny part is, when it came down to the actual judging, MAYBE, MAYBE, just MAYBE ONE of these five guys was the best of his respective group. Now, I will not sit here and berate the five finalists because their performances do that for them. I just cannot believe the sheer stupidity that took place during this judging process. Watch out WFAN, because you’re about to become that proverbial jaded entity who passed on the big fish to watch him pop up with a competitor and OWN YOUR SOUL.

Oh yea, you want jokes? I GOT JOKES….What do tell an ignorant idiot WFAN executive with two black eyes?…NOTHING, you already told him twice!

27. Anna says:

Well, Patrick Creighton was right!…He has us “KNEE-DEEP IN STUPID.”

28. marcia says:

I really enjoyed the experience as well. Good luck to all the finalists!

29. Daren-Weat Nyack Group says:

Congrats Otis and all the finalists. This was an amazing experience and I’m proud to have been a part of it!

30. Jon S. says:

It’s just painfully obvious that the “judging” looked at a guy’s age, nationality, and appearance – NOT their ability. The judges’ finalist selections are just like the finalists’ rants themselves – bad jokes. Pathetic.

31. Jonathan S. says:

What kind of judging was this? I was hoping for some new, young, refreshing voice on The Fan. These finalists are awful! Wow! I was at the Stamford round and we all gave a ROUND OF APPLAUSE for that kid Nick. These guys just bring more of the same, dry style – nothing new, nothing funny. This Patrick guy is flat out painful to watch.

Shame on The Fan for misrepresenting this as a legitimate contest of skill and talent. Absolutely pathetic.

32. Jon S. says:

As a fan of The Fan who attended the Stamford round (and not someone who participated in any part of this competition, so my view on this is one of pure objectivity, not one of bitterness and/or resentfulness), I’m almost in shock at the quality of these 5 finalists. I was in Stamford when the entire restaurant gave a round of applause to the kid Nick, who lit the place up. He lit the entire place up – and Patrick is chosen? There were 3 or 4 contestants on an entirely different stratosphere than this clown. Was he trying to be funny up there?? It’s not entirely clear, as he offered absolutely nothing of insight or depth – nothing that hasn’t been said before time and time again.

I’m not at all shocked that a station run like The Fan, stuck in the dark ages, weighed what seem to be factors such as age, nationality and appearance more than TALENT and ABILITY. But the thing is that the round that I bore witness to – it wasn’t even CLOSE! I feel absolutely awful that the dreams of several young men were shattered today; young men who were hungry for this life-changing opportunity, young men whose passion practically trickled down their faces as they ranted.

This competition is quite clearly a joke. Some (or all) of these “finalists” must have ins at the station, they must have relatives and/or other hookups at the station. Because in re-watching every single video from rounds 1 and 2, it’s completely clear that the BEST did not advance. Shame on The Fan for misrepresenting this as a legitimate “competition” of skill; this is a bad joke. It’s a bad joke, like this guy Patrick standing up there trying way too hard to get some laughs.

To those who “judged” this competition – absolutely pathetic. You just lost a long-time listener.

33. Josh says:

I am sorry. If you think the guy’s name is San Antonio Holmes, you’re just not a big time fan.

1. Tom says:

yeah? well its called nerves so lets see you up there in front of all those people its not easy something that he has to get used to so shut up cause i doubt you can do better!!!!

34. adam says:

35. GIL says:

The judging was clearly not based on talent. Daniel should have made the cut.

36. jj says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an embarrassing blunder in all of my adult life. For the station that has turned into “New York’s lazy monopoly,” WFAN proved once again that it is not interested in moving forward. Clearly, this contest was a big sham designed to boost ratings and advertising dollars at the expense of the hopes and dreams of thousands. The funny part is, when it came down to the actual judging, MAYBE, MAYBE, just MAYBE ONE of these five guys was the best of his respective group. Now, I will not sit here and berate the five finalists because their performances do that for them. I just cannot believe the sheer stuuuupidity that took place during this judging process. Watch out WFAN, because you’re about to become that proverbial jaded entity who passed on the big fish to watch him pop up with a competitor and OWN YOUR SOUL.

Oh yea, you want jokes? I GOT JOKES….What do tell an ign0rant idi0t WFAN executive with two black eyes?…NOTHING, you already told him twice!

37. Eddie says:

My pick to win it all didn’t even make the finals…WOW

38. Adam says:

The sick part is that the farm animals at WFAN probably think they made the right calls. They’re chalking these comments up to sour grapes and jealousy and are completely shut off to their George W Bush-like evaluation skills.

1. Larry says:

Well said Adam!

39. Dan says:

Can’t you just wish the contestants well and not listen if you don’t like them? Don’t see the need to bash people you don’t know.

40. Larry says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an embarrassing blunder in all of my adult life. For the station that has turned into “New York’s lazy monopoly,” WFAN proved once again that it is not interested in moving forward. Clearly, this contest was a big sham designed to boost ratings and advertising dollars at the expense of the hopes and dreams of thousands. The funny part is, when it came down to the actual judging, MAYBE, MAYBE, just MAYBE ONE of these five guys was the best of his respective group. Now, I will not sit here and berate the five finalists because their performances do that for them. I just cannot believe the sheer st*pidity that took place during this judging process. Watch out WFAN, because you’re about to become that proverbial jaded entity who passed on the big fish to watch him pop up with a competitor and OWN YOUR SOUL.

Oh yea, you want jokes? I GOT JOKES….What do tell an ignorant id*ot WFAN executive with two black eyes?…NOTHING, you already told him twice!

41. Teddy V. says:

MORONS MORONS MORONS MORONS MORONS

42. Steve says:

Wow, Patrick? Really? The guy was imitating voices during a conversation and it wasn’t funny, some of the others were okay but Patrick was easily on the bottom 5 during his group what were you guys thinking

43. Steve M. says:

Good Luck Pat!

44. Larry says:

Wow…what were they thinking….i guess the Fan just wants the same old boring personalities….yawn….whats the point of a contest like this if you want the same boring old, dry style. I guess this is ESPN’s chance to scoop up a real new personality to compete, because with this bunch WFAN is bringing nothing worth listening to.

45. Brian says:

I honestly thought Otis was one of the worse of this group, how did he make it through? Anything to do with WFAN not having enough minority hosts?

1. Trace says:

You are so rude. I can see why someone like you would not be chosen- surprised you can get by in life. Thankfully, you are not judge- just ignorant.

46. Rocco says:

Wow….terrible judging….these guys don’t belong here

47. Nick Malone says:

You’re taking this Pat. Not a doubt in my mind!

48. Tony says:

Why am I not surprised that there are three Jets fans on here?

Comments are closed.