Wally Backman Hints At Manuel’s Job

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Wally Backman is at it again.

As his Brooklyn Cyclones prepare for the playoffs, Backman is hinting at the Mets’ top job, reports the NY Post.

LISTEN: Boomer & Carton on Wally Backman’s comments

From the Post:

“It would be impossible to say I don’t focus on it,” Backman said before his NY Penn League team hosted Vermont last night at MCU Park. “Do I want the Mets to do good? Absolutely, because this is who I came up with. Do I want the organization to be better? Absolutely. Are there things that maybe I could do better? Probably. But my focus has to be on the guys we have here. I don’t want to have any distractions.”

With the Mets in the midst of another late-season meltdown, manager Jerry Manuel is likely on the hot seat. Backman is a strong candidate for the job, and is considered one of the fan favorites to take over for Manuel.

“Jeff [Wilpon] gave me the chance to show myself again and I feel I’ve done a good job at it,” Backman said. “For me, it’s about being evaluated.”

Backman was hired for the Cyclones managerial position prior to the 2010 season, asking Wilpon for a job over the telephone.

Now, he’s ready for the big show.

“I’m prepared to go to a major league team,” Backman said. “There’s no question in my mind I’m ready for it.”

Comments

1. schlock says:

youtube playing for peanuts. its a reality show around wally backman when he came back to baseball. his fire and passion has been missing here for close to 10 years. while we’re at it bring back davey johnson to gm. don’t laugh he works at team usa.
    finally throw some friggin orange and blue seats inside citi wilpon, the dodgers left ny over 50 years ago so get over it, they play in la and need an owner

1. Gary says:

Right on schlock!

2. PeterG says:

I HAVE BEEN SCREAMING TO GET RID OF MANUEL BEFORE THE 2010 SEASON STARTED,BOOBY V FIRST THEN BACKMAN BENCH COACH,FRANCO PITCHING COACH,KEEP JOHNSON,MAZZELLI FIRST BASE COACH AND YA READY PAULIE LADUCHA THIRD BASE COACH,YOU WONT HAVE AN EMPTY SEAT IN THE HOUSE

3. armando says:

THE METS R NOT GOING TO SPEND MONEY THEY PROVE IT I THINK THEY ALL COMIN BACK HOPE NOT BUT THAT’S WHAT GOING TO HAPPEN TRADE EVERYONE EXCEPT REYES N SANTANA

4. William Valderrama says:

“With the Mets in the midst of another late-season meltdown”, are you serious??? How about the whole second half of the season. I am tired of seeing Jerry smiling on the bench while his team is down 7 runs. FIRE JERRY NOW!!! I really don’t care who is the Manager next season, as long as its not Jerry. Bring back Bobby V., at least he brought us to the playoffs in consecutive seasons.

5. larryd66 says:

Not sure the press would villfiy Wally. Everyone likes a comeback story and Wally is great comeback story. He’s paid the price for his problem and needs to get a second chance. Everyone needs a second chance

6. 43yrmetsfanatic says:

Need Bobby V. to straighten out Wright and Reyes first. Bobby knows how to get most out of young guys. Then when established in a couple of years Wally moves in as successor. Will have more of a handle on young guys coming thru system.

7. JeffinWesternWA says:

Wally was a MLB manager but, fired before ever takin the field a few years back for bad behavior. After Frankie R’s tantrum, do we really want to promote Wally’s behavior?? The NY press will VILLIFY the METS (again) and we couldn’t get rid of Frankie while promoting Wally. I like Wally but, let’s get a NEW GM and then go through a serious manager evaluation. In the meantime, fire Jerry M and promote Oberkfell, BaAckman, et all as interim coaches to finish this lost year and instill SOME “can do change” by management!

1. Scorp says:

Nobody cared about Billy Martins behavior when he was winning.

8. Big John says:

haven’t we heard these crys from Mets fans before. Fire Willie, fire Howe, now it’s fire Manuel. Get Valentine. now is get Backman, a guy who has never managed at this level. It’s not the manager, it’s not the GM, it starts with the players, even Jesus himself can not save this lousy team. They suck, period. Get rid of Reyes, Wright, K-Rod and get players who have heart and hit in the clutch, Reyes & Wright are not those players who can carry a club & lead a team to victory. Like ’07 & ’08, they’re chokers. .

9. Jeff says:

Backman is the man. They should include Daryl on his staff, who needs to be back in a Mets uniform. They can add a little experience by having John “The Dude” Stearns as the bench coach, making for a solid 1-2 punch, no pun intended.

10. Scott says:

Anyone that has heard Backman’s infamous rant knows he is exactly what the Mets need. I swear Jerry Manuel should have a mirror permanently installed under his nose so we can all stop guessing if he is alive or dead.

The team has taken on their leader’s persona. Dead.

11. Mr. H says:

I think he would be a good addition. The clubhouse needs fire at the least. I’m tired of the laiod back players managers.

12. G-Man says:

Clean house within reason. Wally is the answer for 2011 and of course Minaya has to go along with Castillo, Perez, Reyes and Feliciano. Get rid of all the bums that don’t even deserve mention here. Pitching looks solid, but can always be upgraded. Look for John Ricco to be the new GM.

13. daga-nj says:

other than his fiery attitude, the mets players have no idea who Wally is, he wasnt a superstar when he played , so i dont see how they would look up to him.
    However we that saw him play know he would be a change from what we have now and would include good fundamentals and active management. the problem is noone has been able to get Wright, Reyes,Beltran over the 2006 near miss and resulting collapse. Time for this thing to get striped down and rebuilt so they need someone that can affect the whole organization. Maybe next step for Wally is to put him in charge of ALL minors and let him work with the talent trhoughout

14. Ron B says:

Amen and I hope it happens today. Manuel is a bumbling idiot just like his equally dumb GM, Minaya

15. strach069 strach says:

If Wally Backman gets the job it would be the best thing for the team, solid leadership, and someone the players can look up to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments are closed.