Bronxville Dog Barking Time Limit Almost A Reality

If Your Pooch Goes More Than 10 Minutes, You Could Pay $250

BRONXVILLE, NY (WCBS 880/CBS 2) — Police are getting ready to put a stopwatch on your barking dog. One suburban village is preparing to set time limits for barking dogs that could cost owners big money.

CBS 2’s Lou Young reports on the proposed Bronxville barking ordinance.

Barking … how much is too much? Bronxville is now proposing an ordinance that would limit continuous barking to 10 minutes during the day and five minutes after 10 p.m. or the owner would be subject to a $250 fine.

“If you live next door, a dog barking all night, you sure wouldn’t want that. I see their point,” dog owner Janet Flanagan said.

In this upscale bedroom community even the dog owners think too much barking is a crime-or at least a nuisance, although a few are worried about the proposed time limit.

“Ten minutes is not a lot I don’t think for excessive barking. Ten minutes is not excessive, if it stops,” owner Kim Callahan said.

But if it doesn’t stop what are the police to do? Many here are suggesting that the plaintiff bark of a dog on an otherwise quiet street could be signaling trouble if not for the owner, then perhaps for a neglected pet.

“Someone comes to the door and the dog barks, but if it’s a continuous bark for a long time and at night something’s wrong,” dog owner Elizabeth Gusta said.

“It’s not anti-dog. It would actually help the dog owner as well because it would give them a range and a limit to understand what’s required of them as a dog owner living in a densely populated area,” Bronxville administrator Harold Porr said.

Porr pointed out violators could get a warning or fine less than the $250 maximum. Besides, he said Bronxville doesn’t have a lot of barky dogs. In fact, some are quite the opposite.

WCBS 880 reporter Paul Murnane asked one dog owner, “Have you learned anything about how to keep the dogs from barking?”

The owner replied, “maybe exercise them a lot, you know. A tired dog is a happy dog is a quiet dog.”

Individual fines would be set by a judge under the proposed ordinance up to $250 per incident.

A public hearing is scheduled for Oct. 12.

More from Lou Young
Comments

1. JC Goodman says:

You are so correct. I live in the country and my stupid neighbor has two germane shepherds he keeps tied. They bark night and day until my head is throbbing. I feel like I am going crazy. I wish that law would extend all over the united states. Great law for those who have to suffer.I have a German shepherd but she stays in the home with me and hardly ever barks.If a person can’t control there dogs they should not have them. Also the crazy man who owns them does not work so he has no excuse.

2. Jessica G says:

I’ve had a neighbor where the dog would constantly bark, climb under the fence into my yard and run around while the kids were there. I’ve had my neighbors dog from the people behind me chase me in my yard because owners just have no control over they’re pets. Who can eat sleep and breathe dog barking 24-7. If the people who own these dogs have no control over them with excessive barking, then what else do they not have control over concerning the care and temperament of the dog. This is all for a reason. I had my neighbors rip from it’s leash and jump over a 7 foot high fence to chase some woman who was walking across the street once day. The dog unfortunately was hit by a car and killed. I lied they’re in the grass holding this dying dogs head in my hands because the neighbor did not take care of his dog properly. If the neighbor took the time out to perhaps get an electric collar or fence to curb it’s temperament, perhaps the dog would not have been so aggressive and hit the level of full on attack mode. I dunno..that’s just my opinion. I’ve been barked at and chased by so many dogs in my lifetime. I just can’t stand the barking.

3. KRISTOPH SATRIELI says:

THIS IS PERFECT FOR BRONXVILLE POLICE. SINCE THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO ALL DAY THEY CAN ACTUALLY GO AROUND LISTENING FOR 10 MINUTE BARKS. THIS NEW LAW MAY EVEN ALLOW BRONXVILLE TO HIRE A FEW MORE OFFICERS. BRINGING THE TOTAL TO OVER 25 OFFICERS. WHAT A 1 SQUARE MILE TOWN NEEDS WITH THAT MANY, UNEDUCATED, GUN TOTING BUFFOONS BESIEGES ME. BUT HEY AT LEAST EVERYONES WHITE SO THERE WILL BE NO WORRY FOR ANY POLICE SHOOTINGS

1. Binky says:

@ KRISTOPH SATRIELI You’re an idiot

4. Binky says:

@ Incredulous

You obviously have never lived next to someone who has a dog that has barked a good part of the day—everyday.
    Fortunately most people haven’t. That’s why many find this law a waste of time.

And get real. This law would NOT add many calls to a police officer’s day. Maybe one every few days at most. Most dogs are in control!

People against this law are talking as if EVERYTIME a dog starts barking the cops are going to be called. Not true! We all know that any dog goes into a barking craze for some reason every once in a while. Its owner will have to calm dog down and address issue and most do.

I bet those against this barking law think it’s silly that one can’t just beep their horn over and over on a city street because there’s traffic. That law is a waste of time too, I’m sure. Before it was a law, local residents would have to listen to a dozen horns blowing at one time every morning and night. When the beeping fools learned that they’ll be fined the stopped beeping. The police force hasn’t been inundated since this law came into affect either.

Get the point

5. BarkingDogATLAS says:

Shut the dogs up, already!

Please visit the Barking Dog ATLAS if you have barking dogs that are keeping you awake.

6. Incredulous says:

Binky…Credulous…

There are laws that make sense and there are laws that just tie up the police force, tie up our court systems, and cost us big tax dollars. There already are laws about disturbing the peace. A call to 911 should work. Also, most homes and apartments have doorbells or one can do an old fashioned knock on the door to talk to their neighbor. All this hate is not necessary. I am astonished that someone would throw perfect strangers such hate when commenting on a news article such as this one. There are a lot of anger management programs out there. Maybe some of you haters and ‘griefers’ such partake.

I wish you peace.

7. Incredulous says:

Now that was a real sane response.

-not

1. binky says:

@ Incredulous

“NoW that was a real sane response.”

No it’s the response of a neighbor who can’t sleep, read and enjoy peace and quite you fool

2. Credulous says:

Insane in the membrane…Insane in the brain: Incredulous.
      And Idiot and an AHole

8. Incredulous AT INCREDULOUS says:

Hitler, you make Hitler proud when you invoke him in this way. Forget about using sound reason to argue your case, resort to demonizing the other side and voila instant demagogue. You’d just have to change your “Hitler Speech” to “Evil Jews” and “Americans” to “Germans” and “Land” to “Fatherland” and you’d have been a acceptable Hitler Speech Writer yourself Incredulous. How’d you like that, just made you into Hitler, freedom hating demagogue you. Putting canines above humans. You’re a Nazi dog lover.

What kind of mumbo-jumbo “freedom” are you talking about? Is it the freedom of reasonable quiet in a neighborhood? Is it the freedom to live peacefully? Or should the freedom be I’ll buy a bigger dog and have it go over and rip that other barking dog to shreds, then I can teach my dog to bray at my grieving neighbors. That would a acceptable way to exercise my freedom??? Sounds like what you’re advocating.

Or is it just that you own a dog and somehow haven’t been able to keep it quiet while you are out working, running errands or just enjoying you dog free evening out drinking with your college (or perhaps stormtrooper school) buddies while you’re dog brays into the night keeping your neighbors up. But to do anything about it would mean that all your freedoms would be encroached upon. Taken to it’s logical conclusion, you’re kind of freedom would plunge us back into a darker age, where freedom is directly proportional to strength of power. What this dog barking law proposes is something altogether different, a reflection of modern society and civility. Nobody will be hauled off to jail. The owner who’s dog impacts the life of a neighbor or neighborhood, will be fined and the law applies to all. It’s a law. It’s not unreasonable. It doesn’t impose overly harsh penalties and it’s easily followed: Train your dog. Keep your dog happy. Be responsible. If you cannot do all these things, give your dog to somebody who can.

9. Incredulous says:

Hey Lovell1,

What are you proposing? A total police state? Where is all this hate coming from? Do you realize what you are saying reads like a Hitler speech? Why are so many people so eager to give up their basic rights and freedom?

What next, a fine if you sneeze in public?

These are the voices of Americans? …land of the free and home of the brave?

These comments for the most part are very sad. Everyone wants strict rules with a policeman standing at everyone’s door making sure that they are not breaking one of the millions of rules… Let’s make some revenue off of this stuff while we’re at it. We could use the money to pay the increased police staff.

How about fining people for exhaling carbon dioxide? Then we could afford to hire one police person per person so that we are really sure that each person is not breaking the rules.

Land of the free and home of the brave… just a bad joke….

1. My Freedom says:

Land of Free Home of Brave?

You ever live next door to a drug dealer and his 5 rottweilers? I’m not going over there to ask him to keep his dogs quiet. I don’t live in Bronxville where you could probably do that, but I’d like this law where I live and feel it’s about my freedom too.

2. binky says:

You’re an idiot Incredulous.

1. Incredulous says:

Blinky,

You call everyone here idiots and fools but you don’t know the difference between load and loud. The problem here is a matter of low IQ individuals looking for some muscle.

3. Put up or Shut up says:

Icredulous…

Dont like rules? How bout we meet up and I bash you…then you’d probably want a cop around…

10. Dr. Rosset says:

What do you do in the case of an emergency tell the dog to stop barking at the burgler or the murderer? This is a stupid law as are most laws today being pushed by people on their communities.But this one tops the list.

1. Dr. Welby says:

Dear Fellow Dr. Rosset,

Dog barking has been shown to be a nuisance to many. Dog barking has been proven in Lancet and AMA literature to cause wakefulness and fatigue to people who suffer from the unfortunate disorder of nextdoordogbarkerismitis… Please consult the pertinent literature to familiarize your self with the condition. It is akin to someone coming into your home and playing drums while you sleep. I forget what the name of this condition is, but I trust that you are free of this affliction, since it would be unlawful for someone to barge into your home and subject you to their noise (since it if perfectly preventable and avoidable).

Yours truly,
      Dr. Marcus Welby MD

1. Lovell1 says:

This era dogs are used as passive-aggressive weapons: what bullets are to guns, barking is to dogs. Barking kills–a slow, painful death of a million bee stings. Communities should focus on the root cause of the conflict between barking dog and innocent human: the barking is the root cause. It’s the BARKING that’s the source of the conflict. The source of the conflict is not the barking-sufferer’s REACTION to barking, whatever that reaction may be. Chronic barking is molestation. The party at fault is the household with the barker(s). It doesn’t matter what the sufferer-of-barking does to try to get the barking to stop–they feel desperate because they’re not getting support from the outlying community to get the barking stopped. I’m not talking about partial-barking stopped–I mean 100%-barking stopped. The barking-sufferer has a right to enjoy his or her patch of real estate unmolested by barking. The barker needs to get gone.

In a conflict between one person and a dog, the human should win out every time. Human rights trump dog rights. Who is it who pays the mortgage or rent? Not dogs. Why do we as society allow dogs to have more rights than people? Barking is a serious offense: barking makes people–literally–insane. Chronic barking causes the barking-sufferer to not be able to meet his obligations in paying the mortgage or rent and put food on the table. People, obtaining dogs, who like to “have their own petty egos petted,” are clueless as to what it takes to truly care for a dog. Being the guardian of a dog is a lifelong commitment–and dogs cost money. Leaving dog(s) in a yard unattended and unloved is a hazard to anyone who is not the owner and who is within earshot of the barking. A barker is a menace. A barker is a health hazard. A barker is an “ignored” dog–it’s time we see chronic barking for what it is: ANIMAL NEGLECT. Things have to be done, by the community, on behalf of the barking-sufferer.

Communities should give power to law enforcement to seize yard barkers without the dog owner’s knowledge, impound the dog(s). Or 6 months in jail. Or a $1,000 fine. If I had my wish, the dog would be euthanized within 24 hours.

Residents become hostile after years of their communities having more sympathy for barkers than for barking-sufferers, communities who spit on human need for peace and quiet where they live. Having dogs growing up, I used to like dogs. No more. Because of chronic yard barkers, I learned to loathe dogs–all dogs–always–everywhere. Barkers are REALLY, REALLY bad public relations for dogs in general. Barking gives the whole canine species a bad name.

You know, how would you feel if you went to go poop in your own toilet, the next-door neighbor’s dog heard you from outside, barked continuously 5 feet from where you’re doing your business? How would you feel if you put a dish in the microwave oven, the other next-door neighbor’s dog heard you from outside, barked continuously 5 feet from where you’re trying to eat a pleasant meal? How would you feel if the phone rings, you answer it, the next-door neighbor’s dog heard you from outside, barked continuously 5 feet from where you’re trying to have a conversation where you yell into the phone “I can’t hear you. What’d you say?” How would you feel if the only place you could sleep was a closet floor on the other side of the house from the barker? And finally, how would you feel if this went on, day and night, for five years? Answer honestly, because you would not have had a good night’s sleep in five years. How would YOU feel?

Dogs have no business around human dwelling areas. Dogs are “guests” and as such, must behave. If dogs don’t behave, banish them. Dog be gone, or dog de-barked.

Mediation implies there is something to mediate, as if with chronic barking there is middle-ground or compromise. Sorry, but I’m not going to compromise my physical need for a safe and sane soundscape around my home. The dog leaves.

2. Dr. Rosset says:

Your first step is to ask your neighbor to bring the dog in at night. I know my neighbors and their dogs. This law allows neighbors to harass other neighbors. Its another symptom of our anti human anti dog society. If you cannot talk to your neighbor about the barking dogs then you don’t have neighbors you have strangers next door.

2. binky says:

Come on Dr. Rosset. The law is not aimed at a dog who barks occasionally. It’s meant to stop owners who let their dogs bark all the time. And if the dog barks all the time no one is going to take notice to a burglar anyway. Did you ever read the Boy who Cried Wolfe.
      Are you really a doctor?

11. EyeHateNY says:

Marvelous. The Barking Dog Tax. What else will the city be billing us for? They’re ANIMALS…suppose the dog is barking because it’s in genuine distress? It’s not like it can pick up the phone and call for help…but by all means, fine the owner. I cannot wait to leave this cesspool.

1. binky says:

You’re a fool EyeHateNY. This law is aimed at peoiple who let there dogs bark everyday and make life suck for others.
      People can’t sleep, read, study and just enjoy their day. get real!

You’re an idiot!

2. Leave the CEssPooL says:

Please leave this cesspool. I’ll start a donation and pledge 1 dollar. I’ll give more as soon as I get my $$$ from reporting all those barking dogs in my neighborhood.

And when you leave this cesspool. Please take your HateNY yapping dog with you. I hope you go to a place where neighbors who don’t take kindly to your yapping dog wont fine you, they’ll just hang your dog

12. JONATHAN says:

ARE YOU KIDDING? I GUESS THESE TOWNS ARE RUNNING OUT OF THINGS TO DO TO GENERATE MONEY. IF THE TOWN IS SO CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR RESIDENCE BEING BOTHERED BY BARKING DOGS, THEY SHOULD GIVE THE $250 TO THE PERSON WHO LODGED THE COMPLAINT. LET’S SEE HOW WELL THAT GOES OVER??? DON’T YOU THINK POLICE OFFICERS SHOULD SPEND THEIR TIME FIGHTING CRIME INSTEAD OF SITTING IN FRONT OF SOMEONE’S HOME WITH WATCH IN HAND WAITING FOR THE 10 MINUTE LIMIT?

1. binky says:

@EyehateNYC
      First of all some dogs just bark when they’re outside if they’re bored and make life miserable other people.
      Dog barking can be as load as many car horns. How about someone park outside your house and beep their horn intermittently for 10 minutes at a time throughout the day everyday. I’m sure you’d love that
      Also, ten minutes is more than enough time to attend to a dog if it’s in distress you fool. And I’m sure no one will call authorities unless it’s a dog that constantly disturbs the peace. You obviously have no idea what it’s like to live next to one (not to mention several) dogs who bark intermittently all day–every day.
      You can’t take a nap when you want!
      It’s loader than TV!
      It’s hard to read or study!
      It reduces quality of life for sane people.
      Just a few issues one runs into when living close to a dog that barks all the time. And that’s all that this law will be aimed at.
      Yes, dogs bark and are allowed to bark on occasion.

2. binky says:

Your’e an idiot Jonathan. that make no sense!

3. JONATHAN'S KEEPER says:

WOULD FIGHTING CRIME INCLUDE ME GOING TO YOUR HOME AND KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR ALL DAY AND NIGHT????????? SHOULD COPS BUST PEOPLE WHO JUMP FARES?? SHOULD COPS BUST PEOPLE WHO GRAFFITI???? SHOULD COPS DO ANYTHING THAT DOESNT INVOLVE CATCHING MURDERS???? JONATHAN. YOU ARE A TRUE DYED IN THE WOOL FOOL. THE LAW’S INTENTION IS NOT TO GENERATE MONEY FOR THE TOWN, ITS A DISINCENTIVE FOR THE OWNER TO KEEP THEIR DOG QUITE. CAPISCE?

1. JONATHAN says:

THAN WHY PLACE A DOLLAR AMOUNT ON THE FINE? OBVIOUSLY YOU’RE NOT TOO BRIGHT. IT’S ALL ABOUT BUCKS KID…. THE REST IS CONVERSATION.

2. JONATHAN'S KEEPER says:

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE A “FINE” BE? COMMUNITY SERVICE. YEAH, I CAN SEE BRONXVILLE GETTING RICH OFF THIS THEN IT TAKING OFF ACROSS THE COUNTRY AS A NEW “SECRET” TAX. THEN THE BUDGET WILL BE BALANCED…NO THE COUNTRY WILL HAVE A SURPLUS AND WELL LOOK BACK IN HISTORY BOOKS AND CALL IT: PAX AMERICANA VIA CANINE TAXATION. IT’S BRILLIANT AND ALL ABOUT THE BUCKS. AND HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS A KID? WE’RE BOTH SUPERSMART. I KNEW YOU WERE A CRABBY OLD WINDBAG WHEN I FIRST READ YOUR SCREAMING MESSAGE.

13. Iconoclast says:

It’s about time. I hope this type of law will spread. The right of citizens to live in peace and quiet exceeds the right of dog owners to allow their pet to behave as the pet wishes. The only people who will be adversely affected by this law will be those who have not taken responsibility for disciplining and training their dogs.
    The ASPCA website advises:
    Remember the Good Neighbor Policy. Keep in mind that not everyone loves dogs, so it’s up to the urban dogkeeper to present a dog who is well-socialized and under control.

The ASPCA has extensive information about taking good care of dogs. Most dog owners do not do 10% of the grooming care (bathing, brushing the dog’s teeth, etc.) and other aspects of dog care that they should follow. If you aren’t committed to taking good care of the dog as well as teaching it some discipline, then don’t get one.

1. Irving says:

I agree with you. we sent our dog to obedient college and he learned how to brush his own teeth, walk and groom himself, and he’s smart enough to now take public transportation. My wife and I are overjoyed with the accomplishments of Spike.

1. KC says:

I think what Irving is trying to say is that because he owns a dog and it’s barking may keep you up at night, too bad, deal with it. His dog is precocious and precious, so quit whining because your wining is annoying Irv. Dogs and dog owners have more rights that non-dog citizen — look it up. It should be permissible to allow our dogs to defecate and urinate wherever, whenever. They should be allowed to bark however long they want — until it annoys the owner that is, then Irv will put a stop to that. BTW, Irving and Jac would like to stop by and smoke it your home tomorrow. It’s their rights.

14. Olga says:

Finally somebody is taking care of that! I had to move out , just because neighbors dog would bark all night. hate irresponsible dog owners!!!!!

15. pauline fife says:

A dog constantly barking is like a smoke alarm it means something is wrong. The dog owner just needs to see why he’s barking in order to stop it

16. CS says:

What nonsense. Leave the dogs alone!

1. Dog Loving Convert says:

leave the dogs alone! we should just jail or commit to an asylum those who cannot stand an incessantly barking dog. Please put them in the same asylum as those who cannot stand second hand smoke. nonsense. CS Lewis is right. dogs should be treated like cows in India, they should be revered and worshipped. And dog owners should be likewise praises and worshipped. We should have a call to prayer each evening and it should be the barking of the dog 5 times a day. Then all will kneel at the feet of the nearest dog owner and pray for forgiveness that their dogs barking has kept us up all night.

17. Jac says:

And their dogs

1. Black Jac says:

yeah! you tell em Jac, Innocent dogs. Leave the dogs alone. I like that guys idea to make dogs holy and stuff. And make them like saints yeah, make em like innocent and free of stuff and make em like gods. worship them. I like you Jac. You’re not petty youre all grownup and stuff and we should only stop people who do bad things that we dont agree with. we should make you king jac you and your dog —is it a a jack russell,cuz that would be cool

1. Black Jac says:

And their god-like dogs.

2. Jac Sparrow says:

Jac.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

“Pathetic. Most animals are better than some people.”

MY GOLDFISH (MR HIBBLES) SAYS YOU’RE PATHETIC AND HE’S BETTER THAN YOU.

I AGREE. THANKS JAC FOR PROVING YOURSELF-RIGHTEOUS SELF RIGHT.

18. Jac says:

I think that people r so petty and stupid. Find the kids that are bring drugs in and out of schools. And the people that drink n drive and kill innocent people. Maybe if some people had a life they wouldn’t focus on innocent people.

19. Jac says:

Sad n nothin better to do. This town apparently has nothin better to focus on. Pathetic. Most animals are better than some people.

20. Blys says:

What about all the other noise like motorcycles where the louder they are, the better? I think they should be penalized first!

1. binky says:

One motorcycle every once in a while is nothing like living next to a dog who barks everyday you fool.

2. KC says:

a motorcycle driving through is transportation and intermittent (necessary and unavoidable) and dog barking is incessant and avoidable. nuff sed.

21. charles Kleman says:

Three answers here from Bangued pop 46,179 .It is very strange.Overthere people must love dogs.———– Bangued is a first class municipality in the province of Abra in the Cordillera Administrative Region of the Philippines. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 46,179 in 8,071 households. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangued,_Abra

22. Ren says:

I live in Bangued, Abra Philippines too, and we love dogs. They’re delicious!

23. Allen says:

I love in Bangued too and while I get tired of barking dogs I’m glad to know if someone comes around that may be up to no good.

24. Fely says:

We like barking dogs where I live (Bangued, Abra Philippines) because we know they are protecting us from robbers.

25. Tiff Hurtyu says:

This will result in a lot of unnecessary surgeries to remove the vocal cords on these poor dogs……..Next it will be, birds make to much noise, ohhh and what about those annoying crying babies in restaurants? How about a fine for them too!!!!

1. KC says:

Dogs are not people. I bet you wouldn’t like it if I went to your house and banged on the door all day because it made me feel good. It violates your rights and so does a barking dog. Babies in restaurants cannot compare to dogs waking a neighborhood and the owner going scott free. If you’re home and you allow your dog to bark — shame on you. If your out and the dog barks incessantly. You should not have a dog. You are irresponsible.

26. betsy says:

i think it’s stupid. they ought to just get used to it. i mean come on a dog is gonna bark, ‘specially if they hear something like squirrels or cats or coons.

1. binky says:

Dog barking sucks!!!! “get used to it” You’re an idiot!

1. KC says:

we should all get used to it. betsy, can I come by your house and scream all night? that’s what i thought, you’d probably not be able to get used to that. Unless your deaf of course. a deaf dog owner who cannot understand why anyone could be annoyed with a barking dog….brilliant

27. Edna says:

ooh wow!..u have no peep horn on cars ..now no Barking on dog..whats next????….a city that’s doesn’t make noise…

1. Agitha says:

Edna,

You should live in a commune with Jac, Irving and CS… you guys can worship dogs and scream at each other over the dog din…. cool

Comments are closed.