NYPD Arrests Driver In Deadly Hit-And-Run

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — The driver in a deadly hit-and-run in Lower Manhattan was tracked down by police.

A 27-year-old man on a Ducati motorcycle was killed when he was struck by a Nissan at West and Canal Streets on Sunday evening.

Police said the car’s driver, 25-year-old Naisha Sutton of the Bronx, fled the scene. She was later arrested in Brooklyn and charged with leaving the scene of an accident and making an improper left turn.

Police have not identified the motorcycle rider.

More from Mary Calvi
Comments

1. realbeats says:

Well, I am so excited that I feature found michael jackson headphone,this your page because I possess been searching for a few information about it virtually three hours.

2. After research a couple of of the blog posts on your web site now, and I truly like your approach of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site listing and can be checking again soon. Pls check out my web page as well and let me know what you think.

3. Tim Richardson says:

Fact is that many drivers are not qualified to drive a car!!! Because they are out of touch with the driving rules and laws that have changed since they first got their license. All the States should retest their drivers at regular intervals so drivers can demonstrate their ability to drive safely!

4. MonkeyDudeSF says:

As a fellow motorcyclist, I agree with some of the observations made here about my fellow riders. I moved here from San Francisco, one of the highest motorcycle populations per capita in the country. Relatively speaking, the riders in NY are some of the most reckless individuals I have ever seen. Helmets are the only safety gear worn, but never secured with the strap. Stunting is practically mandatory. Loud pipes are the norm.

If nothing else, there should be stricter enforcement of decibel limits on pipes, a crackdown on “stunting” and more moto-patrol officers (to facilitate pursuit of lane-splitting riders/speeders that weave through traffic.) This would surely reign in the inclination towards bad behavior and improve the image of riders amongst the general public.

5. iRunThis says:

As a funeral director, it keeps me busy.

6. BDAY55 says:

I ride a mc in and out of Manhattan everyday. Been riding ~15 years. I have to say that the only vehicles on the road that truly scare me are OTHER MOTORCYCLISTS. You have testosterone fueled kids getting bikes that can top 150 out of the box. It’s a bad combination. Add some alcohol and bam! Every spring dozens of these kids get killed in the NYC area and the cops start cracking down on ALL OF US. I’ve gotten tickets for not having the visor down (3 of them @ $100 a pop) cause some idiots decided to kill themselves.

7. ben mutua says:

I think this is a wake up call for both road users and the authorities.Road users have to follow the highway code at all times while the authorities ought to book anyone or charge them for not adhering to the law.As the people who live in West St,New York attest,there seems to be a problem with bike riders there.So the authorities should take note of this and act without postponing.

8. Path says:

God bless all of you… God be mercy on us…
    Matthew 24

9. Path says:

God bless all of you… God be mercy on us…
    Mattew 24

10. Steve says:

Thanks KPMc, Edna – unlike others who replied, I appreciate your balanced, intelligent views (unlike others, you didn’t assume that I somehow laid fault on a whole group, just because I didn’t mention the hit-and-run driver’s culpability).
    The hit-and-run driver is a criminal and a murderer – but we do have very a dangerous situation on West St, with OUT-OF-CONTROL motorcycles at all hours of the day and night. My deepest condolences to the family of the victim.

11. KPMc says:

It may be a cliche but… It’s not ‘if’ you will have an accident on a motorcycle, it’s ‘when’.

I know of life-long cyclists who were very good drivers yet hit a PEBBLE and died as a result of the crash.

I saw nothing in Steve’s comment where he blamed the motorcyclist or exonerated the car driver, just stated his opinion and a few facts. Cyclists ARE recklessly going down West St in the middle of the night every night.

12. bayo says:

wish you guys visit lagos, nigeria and see how reckless these riders are. often wonder if they have two lives.

13. Michael says:

Would’ve *

14. Michael says:

I was driving on the LIE the other day and this motorcyclist zoomed right by me and the vehicle to my left (with only about 3 ft of space) at about 120mph.

Motorcyclists are way too stupid for their own good. I mean, how dumb can you be? Obey the freaking law!!! You’re on a bike doesn’t mean you don’t have to follow the same laws as cars. Had he ran into either of our cars, the car drivers wouldn’t have needed to deal with the outcome, guilt and stress.

15. Mayinja Moses says:

Hey we just ought not to be reckless because speeding can’t be a solution. otherwise sorry for the motorcyclist, actually its worse in our areas (Uganda, Africa)

16. Edna says:

i don’t think is the Motorcycles fault .if this is what you mean Steve……

17. Fely says:

I agree with you Allen, I think Steve is a motorcycle hater that thinks it is OK to kill someone just because they are on a motorcycle.

18. allen britton says:

so Steve, are you saying that justifies the hit and run driver murdering the motorcyclist and then fleeing the crime scene.

19. Steve says:

This is very sad. However, motorcycles on West St are COMPLETELY out of control – breaking the speed limit, gunning their engines at 4 in the morning, releasing significant noise/air pollution and creating dangerous driving conditions. Probably the bad ones ruin it for the good ones, but there should be MORE RESTRICTIONS placed on these people.

1. Steve says:

Hi Allen:
      Obviously, I said that the incident was very sad. I made no comment about the disgusting behavior of the hit-and-run driver. I identified as (what I see) as a VERY SERIOUS problem – some motorcycle drivers on West St are a danger, and create an incredible noise nuisance.
      Therefore, Allen, you and Fely NEED YOUR HEADS EXAMINED (or maybe you’re one of those stupid guys on a harley chopper, waking up everyone at 2am).

Comments are closed.