CBSNewYork.com Presents: Allure’s Best Beauty Winners
NEW YORK (CBS 2) — From moisturizers to mascaras, it’s a $20 billion a year business.
But how do you ever know which beauty products really work?
CBS 2’s Magee Hickey reports on some that passed all the tests.
They are the best of the best according to the editors of Allure magazine. More than 100 staffers tested thousands of beauty products and came up with these winners — like what they call a breakthrough product for hair: Garnier’s blow dry perfector.
“You put this on towel-dried hair and then blow out your hair with round brush and blow dry like you usually would and this will actually smooth the cuticles so no frizz for seven shampoos,” Allure beauty editor Heather Muir said.
Then there’s the lash-blast from Cover Girl with the totally flexible brush, or the dollar lip glosses from E.L.F. that you can buy at your local drug store. Other hot tools for under $50 were used all throughout fashion week.
“There’s a large size. You get a loose, bouncy wave and smaller ones you get tight, wriggly curls, great versatility,” Muir said.
But how about that forever search for the perfect red lipstick? The staff at Allure found their answer in Lancôme’s L’Absolu rouge.
“This one has the perfect balance, a little bit of a cool tone, a warm tone that makes everyone’s lips look perfect,” Muir said.
And if you worry about those dark circles under your eyes, the experts say try the Olay Definity eye illuminator is the answer.
“This eye is brighter. Put it on before the concealer and you use it over time and it’ll really diminish those dark circles,” Muir said.
And we all know men who don’t like to obsess over products so there’s the two-in-one Dove body and face wash for them, and the Gillette Mach 3 turbo. But hey, let’s end on a dream, splurging on a $195 dollar crème by La Mer that will feel like cake frosting all over your body.
The following is a list of products that passed the test and where you can find them:
* Garnier Blow-Dry Perfector; $11.99; Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, Drugstore.com
* Cover Girl Lash blast; $8; Target, Wal-Mart, CVS, Rite Aid
* E.L.F. Hypershine Gloss in fairy and joy lip gloss; $1; drug stores
* Hot Tools; $50; Ulta.com, Folica.com, Locakandmane.com
* Lancôme L’Absolu rouge; $29; Macy’s, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale’s, Sephora
* Olay Definity eye illuminator; $25.99; Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, Duane Reade
* Dove men+care deep clean face and body wash; $4.99; Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS
* Gillette Mach3 Turbo; $7.99; Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid
* La Mer; $195; Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale’s, Bergdorf Goodman, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus
NOTE: If you are looking for CBS 2′s story on anti-aging products, you have clicked on the wrong story. Click here to read that article.