Cops: Pace Student Killed In Botched Holdup

NEW YORK (CBS 2/1010 WINS) — Police are investigating an overnight shooting at a luxury high-rise in Manhattan, just a few blocks north of Wall Street, that left a 21-year-old Pace University student dead.

Police were called to 2 Gold Street, a 51-story apartment tower, around midnight Wednesday where they found Max Moreno, of Matawan, N.J., shot once in the head in his off-campus apartment.

Moreno was taken to Bellevue Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

LISTEN: 1010 WINS’ Stan Brooks reports

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Moreno and his roommate had just sold marijuana to a couple when two men suddenly appeared, pushed their way into the apartment and demanded money at gunpoint.

No arrests have been made but police say they will review tape from the building’s state-of-the-art surveillance cameras.

Stephen J. Friedman, President of Pace University, said in a statement that the school is “shocked and saddened” by Moreno’s death. “We extend our community’s deepest sympathies to his family members and friends.”

Residents of the building are shocked.

“It’s definitely a frightening situation and you feel unsafe in a building where you pay a lot for doormen and protection,” one woman said.

Anyone with information is asked to call New York City police (212-334-0611) or campus security (212-346-1800). All information will be treated confidentially.

Comments

1. Tomasz Cebola says:

Perhaps that worm leasing agent Jason Hill might consider properly screening the applicants, instead stuffing his wallet from brokers. Security at the front door is a total joke, the Sony Store has tighter security. It’s a shame the owners don’t give a rat’s arse about anything @ 2 GOLD except being leased up. Shame on you Tom & Fred, start screening your tenants!

2. Deeply Disappointed says:

The truth is the shooting could have happened to ANY resident of the building. This kid had two hispanic males (who SHOULD have been STOPPED at the door) with guns barge into his apartment while his door was closing. It was an armed robbery and for everyone saying he deserved it, maybe next time it will be YOU or your family and friends. Do you (or they) deserve to die at gunpoint?

3. 2GOLDRESIDENT says:

DEFENETLY IS A VERY SAID SITUATION WITHOUT DOUBT, BUT WHERE ARE THE PARENTS IN ALL THIS, WERE ARE REALLY MISSING THE ISSUE OF A YOUNG MAN SELLING DRUGS FROM HIS APARTMENT, WHEN HIS PARENTS WERE PROBABLYING PAYING THE RENT AND HE WAS ATTENDING SCHOOL. THE MAIN ISSUE HERE IS THAT WE CANNOT BLAME ANYONE FOR WHAT HAPPENS BEHIND CLOSE DOORS, THIS WAS A YOUNG MAN BOUND TO GRADUATE AND BECOME SOMETHING OF HIS LIFE, WHY THE NEED TO PROVIDE DRUGS AND PUT OTHER PEOPLES LIFE IN DANGER. I AM A RESIDENT AT 2 GOLD AND I VERY DISSAPOINTED THAT PEOPLE ARE CHOOSING TO BLAME SECURITY,DOORMAN, MANAGEMENT, PEOPLE WHY DONT WE ASK OURSELVES DID HE REALLY HAVE A MOTIVE TO SEEL DRUGS, YOUNG PEOPLE NOW A DAYS ARE GOING BEYOND EXTREME WAYS TO MAKE THEMSELVES HAPPY NOW A DAYS, AND THIS IS ONE EXAMPLE OF A BAD DECISION THIS YOUNG MAN MADE. DONT BLAME NO ONE, BUT IT WAS A BAD CHOICE HE MADE THAT CAUSED HIM HIS LIFE. WHY DONT WE QUESTION THE PARENTS, DID THEY KNOW THAT THEI SON WAS SELLING DRUGS. IS BEYOND THE ISSUE HERE OF SECURITY, IS THE PRESSURE THESE YOUNG KIDS HAVE. STAY FOCUS GO TO SCHOOL, PARENTS ARE PAYING SO MUCH RENT TO HAVE THEIR CHILDREN BE WATCH BY PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST TRYING TO MAKE A DECENT LIVING AND PROVIDE FOR THEIR OWN FAMILIES, DONT BLAME THE BUILDING NOR THE STAFF. YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO LOOK BEYOND THE POINT THAT THIS YOUNG MAN DECIDED TO MAKE THIS CHOICE AND IS VERY SAD THAT THIS CAUSED HIM HIS LIFE.I BEEN A 2 GOLD STREET RESIDENT FOR YEARS AND I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE STAFF AND THE MANAGEMENT, BUT IS NOT THERE FAULT, THERE IS A BIGGER ISSUE THAT WE ARE FORGETTING TO RECOGNIZE BECAUSE WE ARE JUST LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO BLAME. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE FAMILY AND I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT WE DIDNT MAKE THIS YOUNG MAN MAKE THIS DECISION HE MADE IT HIMSELF.

4. JasonS says:

@hs alumni: Calm down toots. I’m sure the kid’s family won’t be offended to read comments which expose the lax security at 2 Gold Street which led to their son’s death. In fact I’m sure they’d be very interesting to hear how 2 filthy gun-toting sub-human savages managed to get past security at the building of their son’s $3000 apartment.

5. hs alumni says:

Wow. the hateful comments on here are ridiculous. A young man is dead. Dealing drugs or not…what if it was your child who was shot in the head and you would read these hateful things?You would be enraged to read this garbage. You think they are not going to rethink the building security now? I am sure they will! But either way…you can sure sit here and dish out comments…but if were your own blood you would be devastated and angered by this stuff. I know this is hurting his family tremendously and I pray they never read these comments. if you are not going to remember Max…go read another article about some stupid video game gone wrong and rant on that….not on this young man’s life. Rest in Peace Max.

6. 2 Gold Dweller says:

I am going to start calling the police every time I go out on one of the various garden terraces or balconies and see someone blatantly smoking a joint in public. Not because I care THAT much about people smoking weed, but because I’m hoping we can embarrass the building management into submission so that they (a) tighten up security, (b) screen applicants more carefully.

7. JasonS says:

I am very familiar with this building having had various friends who have lived here at one time or another since it opened 6 or 7 years ago. What people are saying about 2 Gold Street in these comments is absolutely true – it’s nothing more than a very overpriced college dormitory. The management don’t care and never have – they always turned a blind eye to the partying because they know that college students are a cash cow – their parents will pay big $$$’s to have their kids crammed into these tiny apartments, most of them have fake walls to make more bedrooms. They are generic cookie-cutter apartments with low ceilings, built on the cheap, not “luxury” at all.

I didn’t know Rockrose had changed their name to TF Cornerstone. It doesn’t surprise me though, Rockrose has for some time been the black sheep in “luxury” real estate, well known for marketing cheap flimsy apartments as luxury and managing them very badly. They’re the equivalent of LeFrak.

The drug taking and drunkenness at 2 Gold Street is rife. In the evenings, it’s hard to get an elevator sometimes because huge crowds of these spoiled rich kids will use them to travel between parties on different floors – oftentimes when the elevator does arrive, the doors open to reveal 20 drunken college students with open beer containers in their hands. The above poster is right about the clouds of week on some floors – my friend’s floor is like that. The smell is overpowering sometimes and it’s simply amazing that the building management have never done anything about it. Anything goes here. I’ve had to step over pools of vomit at the weekend, and I’ve also seen people smoking weed (and vomiting) in the stairwells.

Security is a joke: the first time I visited a friend here, he told me to have the doorman call up when I arrived. However, I was just able to walk right past the door staff who said “hello” (having never seen me before) and directed me to the elevators. Oftentimes there will be nobody on the desk at all and you can hear them laughing and joking in the back. I’m not surprised at all that these two filthy savages were able to slip in unnoticed, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if they were actually welcomed in with open arms. Go right up, guys! Poor kid, nobody deserves to die like that and I hope this whole thing acts as a wake up call for the complacent management of Rockrose AKA TF Cornerstone.

8. Roy says:

goldneedschange is obviously another ambulance chasing attorney………

9. goldneedschange says:

TF Cornerstone has, for years, received complaints regarding the inadequate and lax security at 2 Gold Street. Unfortunately, their stance is, as it always has been, to ignore the problem. TFC (formally Rockrose) has been, for years now, a reactive rather than proactive company. Until a problem or issue blows up, they choose to let it be. Clearly, we see what results from such a poor management strategy. The incompetence of TFC’s upper-management is both sad and alarming. If the company wishes to recover its severely tarnished name, it needs to clean house, starting at the top!
    Failing to address long-known security issues at 2 Gold Street seems to demonstrate extremely negligent behavior on the part of TF Cornerstone. I sincerely hope the Moreno family, along with current tenants, seeks civil action against TFC.

10. 2 Gold Resident says:

The problem is of course the security. Guests can walk right on in and the doormen do not stop anyone. Other apartments (such as those on Wall Street and Water Street) will stop you if they don’t recognize you as a resident.

11. Another 2 Gold resident says:

wish i new they were dealing weed upstairs, would have made my life so much easier. instead, the deliv guy has to trek all the way down and i have to wait sooo long.

12. A Friend says:

Regardless of whether or not the building had a huge party atmosphere and things were going on that shouldn’t have been, please just have some respect towards his friends and family. I can understand not being happy with what’s going on in the building, but his friends and family are reading these articles and everyone is devastated by the loss. He was a good person, and his close loved ones don’t deserve to have to see bickering about the building.

13. Another 2 Gold Tennat says:

The problem with building is not really with the tenants or whether or not they smoke pot. The problem is that building has allowed for a lack door policy to continue for years now. It is well known that you do not have to check-in with the doormen. That is why there are so many parties in apartment and common area like the roof. I am certain that the two assailants knew that they did not have to worry about the security. Maybe now something will change.

14. 2 gold resident says:

I must have lucked out with the floor I live on because while I do notice all the partying in the lobby/lounges, luckily no one on my floor seems to act like that. However, I do find it strange that people are commenting about the abundance of college kids when I probably see more drunken “young professionals” in their mid to late 20s all over the building on weekends.

15. Yet Another Resident says:

I completely agree with the other residents’ comments here. There’s a strong party atmosphere seemingly on every floor these days.

16. New 2 Gold Resident says:

I thought I was paying an insane amount to live in a building with amazing amenities and security – I guess I was wrong.

At first I thought the building would be filled with Wall Street professionals, instead I find out and get surprised by the amount of rich spoiled college kids in this building.

Management really needs to do something about this. Sucks, that I’m stuck in this year long lease.

1. Jason says:

In all seriousness, you may be able to get out of the contact on the terms they breached the contact by not properly enforcing security inside the building.

I live across from you at 100 Maiden Lane, it’s no 2 gold in terms of amenities but I find the building to be safe.

17. Friend says:

This is not the place for your insensitive ranting, where his friends and family will probably see your unnecessary comment. Take it elsewhere, like to the management of the building if you really have that big of an issue.

1. Another 2 Gold Resident says:

I’m sorry for your loss, but everything said about this building is true. How did two people carrying guns get into the building unnoticed after 12am on a Tuesday night?

And every day, when I come home from work, I have to walk through a cloud of weed on my floor. After repeated complaints, management has done nothing about it.

Comments are closed.