Mayor: Stripper Saga 1 More Reason To End Tenure

NYC Parents Furious Petro's Past Slipped Through Cracks

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — She went from stripper to prostitute to teacher. And then she got job security — in the form of tenure.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Wednesday it’s one more reason to end the system that basically gives teachers lifetime job security.

Reassigned to a non-teaching job, 30-year-old Melissa Petro stayed silent as she headed for the subway Wednesday morning.

But at PS 70 in the Claremont section of the Bronx, there were a lot of people talking.

“If they would’ve searched and done the proper background check on her, they would have found it,” parent Cristal Carambot said.

“They don’t really care who they bring in the school!” another parent added.

Petro long has admitted she once worked as a stripper. But three weeks ago, days after getting job protection in the form of tenure, she took it to the next level, blogging that she briefly worked as a prostitute in late 2006.

“We’re just not going to have this woman in front of a class,” Bloomberg said.

CBS 2’s Tony Aiello asked the mayor how thorough the required background check was before Petro was hired in August 2007.

“Obviously, whatever they did, did not turn this up,” Bloomberg responded.

Another question — did any administrators at PS 70 raise a red flag about Petro. She claims at least one supervisor was aware of her sex worker past.

Whether she broke the law in terms of applying for and getting tenure or whether the system just broke down is being investigated.

What does the teachers’ union make of all this? Aiello wanted to see if someone could go on camera about the Petro situation, but since the story broke the United Federation of Teachers has refused to talk.

The case of an admitted former prostitute, who became a tenured teacher, is the last thing the union needs as it deals with efforts to reform the tenure system.

More from Tony Aiello
Comments

1. Ronnie from Morris Park says:

27 members of the city council were like prostitutes when they backed Billionairebergs third term take over in the last election. Now he wants to use this to fight tenure for all teachers. I think that a drunken police officer that kills someone with his car and only gets 90 days is worse than any of this.

2. ejm says:

As a prostitute, she fits right in with every politician in the US. Bloomberg should cut the sanctimonious BS and go to the real issues. At least she is forthright enough to say what it is she was.

3. Terry6206 says:

Can’t Bloomberg get rid of her? And this just when “Waiting for Superman” is about to open.

4. Roy says:

P.S. is she busy this weekend?

5. Roy says:

Hey LULU what a HEPPIE ? a HIPPY with hepatitus ?

6. LULU says:

I PERSONALLY FEEL THAT ALL TEACHERS HAVE SOME KIND OF STORY BEHIND THEM, I WENT TO SCHOOL IN THE 70’S A FOR SURE I HAD TEACHERS THAT WERE HEPPIES AN SMOKED LOTS OF MARIJUANA BUT WHEN THEY GOT IN FRONT OF THE CLASS THEY WERE ALL VERY PROFESSIONAL AND WE ALL LOVE THEM ALL.
    LET HER LIVE HER LIVE AND SHE MAYBE DID IT TO PUT HERSELF THRU SCHOOL AT LEAST SHE IS NOT TEACHING BAD TO HER STUDENTS SHE LOOKS VERY NICE AND HOPEFULLY THEY CAN LEAVE HER ALONE EVERYONE HAS A CHANCE IN LIFE.

7. Brian Forsyth says:

So… can she teach them how to read? Can she teach them how to think? Does she encourage good moral behavior? Can she teach them good manners and how to behave in society? And is she effective in doing this? This is what teaching is all about. If she’s doing these things well, leave her alone and congratulate her – we need more people who can do these things effectively.

I’m not the slightest bit concerned with what she’s done before becoming a teacher or what she does in her off-school hours. I’m concerned strictly with the job and how well one does it – I want quality performance from my teachers!

I’ve been a high school and university teacher since 1965 – I’ve seen a lot of teachers. If she can do the things listed above, I’ll sit with her at lunch every day and smile at her!

8. Steven says:

Why is this an issue? Most people have a skeleton in their closet. Her past does not affect her abilities as a teacher. Unless she is currently offering her “services” to her students, her past is irrelevant.

1. Wilson says:

That’s because the skeleton is out of the closet. She is suppose to be an educator to our children. She took the skeleton out of the closet by admitting to her past. She lacks common sense and wisdom.

2. Madam Potchki says:

I agree with Steven. I would think that we would want people to better themselves.

9. Sally Rogers says:

I’m all for people who turn their lives around. But this woman, she has a big mouth. Why not shut up and put your past behind you? She kept blabbing and talking and now look. She obviously had no common sense.

1. Melody White says:

I agree. I also agree that tenure needs to be done away with. There are too many teachers who aren’t performing up to standards, and our kids are suffering for it. The teachers’ union needs to go, too. They’re simply a political organization that doesn’t serve our kids appropriately, either. And I have a teaching degree.

Comments are closed.