L.I. Man Struck, Killed After Leaving Church

SAYVILLE, N.Y. (CBS 2/1010 WINS) — A manhunt is under way Wednesday for the driver who struck and killed a Long Island father as he left bible study.

Police say the unknown driver sped away as the victim laid helpless in the road in front of his church.

The victim’s only child, heartbroken, arrived at the church with his mother to see for himself where his loving father, Daniel Fanuele, had been mowed down and left for dead by a heartless hit-and-run driver.

“We are trying to find out what happened,” the victim’s ex-girlfriend, Doreen Faracco, told 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera. “The person has got to look in the mirror and say ‘I just killed a kid’s father.'”

“I don’t really know what to say, it was unexpected, and I’m really upset about it,” Fanuele’s son, Daniel Jr., said. “I was his whole life basically. He called me everyday, we talked everyday, played baseball all the time – we did a lot of things together. It’s just hard to deal with.”

At 8:52 p.m., witnesses heard the squeal of tires.

Fanuele’s church community in Sayville, where he led group discussions, is stunned.

“You are talking to somebody one minute, at dinner, and then all of a sudden he’s gone the next,” church secretary Eileen Heintz said. “That’s devastating.”

At his Elaine Drive home, which Fanuele shared with other divorced men from the New Life Community Church, there were tears and anger.

“He must have not just hit him, he must have hit him real bad, because they found his shoes 100 feet from his body,” housemate Michael Kline said. “It wasn’t just a 30 mile an hour hit-and-run.”

So far, Suffolk Police know they are looking for a Toyota vehicle.

“Our crime laboratory was out last night, collecting evidence, trying to determine forensically at this point,” Suffolk County Police Sergeant Alan Feinstein said.

Daniel Jr. said his father was leaving the church he loved to rush one block home to watch the team he loved, the New York Yankees. Fanuele’s family is pleading for the driver to turn himself in.

The crime lab hopes to be able to release the model and color of the Toyota later Wednesday night.

More from Jennifer McLogan
Comments

1. Beth Butera says:

Danny, Dean tried to call you as soon as he heard, unforuntatly it was five days after the accident. You are in the family’s thoughts and prayers! Your Dad will be missed so much by Dean, amanda, Matthew, Steven and Anthony! They will always be here for you if you ever need them!
    Love Beth (Dean’s wife)

2. ELLE MASONE says:

MY HEART GOES OUT TO THIS FAMILY.. FOR ALL THE SUFFERING…

3. Bunny says:

It is terrible that this life was lost so tragically. My heart goes out to his son. I lost contact with the family and have tried for over a year to locate them. This is NOT the way to find them. PLEASE, if this is the son of Dan Sr. & Cath., PLEASE contact me!

4. REED MARKMAN says:

hard to deal with, A good friend to all that knew him. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMMING TO? MAY GOD KEEP HIM IN HIS ARMS FOREVER,ADONOI ECHORD(HEBREW).HE WILL BE MISSED BY ALL.
    the pollice better do thieir job to catch the mudering devil.

5. Daniel Fanuele jr. says:

Thankyou this is hard to deal with i read this article everyday and watch the video I’m gonna miss him with all my heart and I loved him with all my heart. He was the best father he could be and now he’s gone. I hope this person comes out and if your reading this please come out it would help me and my family feel more secure and long island will be happy. This person bascicall ruined my childhood losing a father at 14 years old. And thankyou who kinda understand what I’m going through. And dad I love you and miss you so much.

1. Stephen D's Mom says:

Danny,
      We are so sorry to hear about your Dad. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
      I hope the person who did this will turn themselves in. But just know, whether they choose to do the right thing or not, they WILL be caught.

2. jimmy palazzola says:

Daniel,my name is Jimmy Palazzola,I have an entertainment company in nassau county.We are planning a benefit for you when the time is right.In the mean time im trying to get my hands on Yankee tix for you.I dont know how lucky Ill be, but i am trying.I know how you feel pal, I lost my dad at 14 yrs old also.Please call me,or a guardian or your mom,so we know when to set up the benefit.My number is 845-283-1413.Call me anytime if you just want to talk.

3. mary says:

Danny-your dad was proud to have such a wonderful son. I knew your dad in high school and could tell you many funny things about him. he was a good man. he loved his family and was there whenever you needed him. i met you the other night at the wake, i was with my friend Joann. if you ever need to talk, I am here as i’m sure so many other people are. your dad is with God now and he is smiling down on you. mary

6. John/ Sayville says:

Just another reason I am leaving this horrible place (long island) . Just hope I and my family will make it out alive. People here are animals. Maybe if the Suffolk County Police would do something about reckless driving instead of hiding out in volunteer firehouses or their homes things like this wouldn’t happen. Good help his son.

7. Worry01 says:

There are s ome absollutely horrid people in this world, and they do things like this. I suspect that It was some drugged up character who did not want to hang arround to be arrested on outstanding warrants.

8. daniel fanuele jr. says:

dad i love you

1. RICHIE MASONE says:

OUR PRAYERS AND OUR LOVE AND CONCERN ARE WITH ALL OF YOU..
      RICHIE MASONE