NYPD To Step Up Cell Phone Law Enforcement

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — The NYPD says it will step up its enforcement of cell phone laws Tuesday across the five boroughs.

Police said the city would begin the crackdown on drivers using hand-held cell phones at midnight as part of an initiative to focus on traffic infractions that could lead to serious injury or death.

Using cell phones while driving in the city will cost drivers $130 in fines. In 2009, the NYPD issued an average of 617 tickets a day for the violation.

During a similar enforcement in June of this year, police said they issued 6,125 summonses.

Comments

1. Tia M. says:

If this incentive leads to more lives on the road being saved, I’m all for it !

2. John V. says:

Please NYPD, Bloomberg, NYC Dept of taxation and finance etc, spare me the lame excuses already. This is no more than another ploy to fill the city coffers. by the way has anyone else noticed that more and more people are starting to slow down and stop at traffic signals once they go yellow.

3. Jay says:

a few months ago i got pulled over by a NYPD cop and told that I was on the cell phone and he was giving me a ticket. I had not used my phone in over an hour prior to being pulled over. He was lying just to give a ticket I had the cellphone records to prove it. I fought it in court and won. Just a way for NYC to make money.

4. Johnny says:

This is what you get when electing people like Schumer and Cuomo. Did you expect any different in the name of safety?

5. Nick says:

How about just locking them up for one year? Make a law for criminally negligent attempted homicide. Or something like that.

6. AnygryNYCer says:

Another tax from Bloomberg which needs to close his budget for all the over paid and unnecessary contracts he gave out to his buddies…

7. Jake Robb says:

Is it just me or does it see as if the only way the government can keep us safe is by taking our money?

8. NYcCrimeFree says:

Another fee collection day by the NYPD, good thing real criminals are free to roam. They should be cracking down on violent felons and treat every day as a cell phone ban enformcement day.

1. CHRIS says:

I HOPE COPS ARE READY TO GIVE THEMSELVES TICKETS BECAUSE I SEE THEM ON THIER CELL PHONE MORE THAN I DO PEOPLE, THIS CITY IS A JOKE,,,,COMMUNIST COUNTRY HERE WE COME MORE LAWS TO TELL US WHAT CAN AND CAN NOT DO.

Comments are closed.