New Jersey School Fire Blamed On Squirrel

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, NJ (AP) – Officials say a squirrel started a fire that forced the evacuation of a southern New Jersey high school.

Bayview Volunteer Fire Company assistant chief Chuck Mackintosh says the squirrel shorted out a transformer at Absegami High School on Tuesday.

Mackintosh tells The Press of Atlantic City one of three air conditioners then shorted out. Mackintosh says the remaining air conditioners overheated and caught fire.

Students spent the rest of the school day on the football field or in the stands.

No one was injured.

Absegami High School is closed Wednesday because of the power problem.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

  • Rocky

    >No one was injured.
    Is the squirrel OK?

blog comments powered by Disqus
Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live