Worker Electrocuted To Death On Long Island

PLAINVIEW, N.Y. (AP) — Police on Long Island say a 21-year-old male worker was electrocuted to death when his aluminum extension ladder struck overhead power lines.

Police say it happened just after 2 p.m. Friday while the man was replacing gutters on Morton Drive in Plainview.

His name was not immediately released.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


One Comment

  1. Mark Foreman says:

    One of the other comments is very correct we should not mock this poor man who was struck down by electricity or use this case to inflate ourselves by showing off our knowledge of electricity. I think at this stage it is impossible for anyone to know exactly what happened as no formal report has been issued by the health and safety authority (OSHA).

    While I do not formally work in the electrical / electronics industry I have experience of high voltage electronics (radio frequency valve power amps) so I am aware of many of the threats posed by high voltage electricity, I suspect that more should be done to educate the ordinary working man to keep him away from overhead wires and other high voltage systems.

    One of the things which displeased me is someone putting this accident down to a ”lack of common sense”. The problem is that what is common sense, I work as a chemist and many things are ”common sense” to a chemist. For example never trust any random glove to resist oils/greases/organic matter, never add water to concentrated acid, never use water to put out sodium fires and always wash your hands before going to the toilet. But to the average member of society some of these things are very new ideas. So be careful what you think is ”common sense”.

  2. tomdiservio says:

    Here in tthe US we are not required to have common sense there are books written about the death of common sense

  3. Patrick says:

    As an electrical engineer with 25 years post grad experience, it is standard practise to use a glasfibre insulated ladder near powerlines and HV yards. As Ken says 300mA can kill, actually 23mA across the heart is fatal! I don’t know what US legislation, but here in South Africa, this is against our law and the HV regulations.

    1. Carmen says:

      It is against OSHA regulations here in the US and they must investiagate every workplace fatality. Unfortunately this worker either didn’t get the training, was not being properly supervised or was simplky tried to take a short-cut using improper equipment.

  4. Muhammad Zafarullah says:

    must use good rubber wire all over the country

  5. selema says:

    poor workmanship and not adhered to safety precautions is always the case, either you are a skilled or unskilled , you have to distinguish what is sense and non- sense. A best safety device is a careful worker. Anyway, my sympathy is with the deceased family.

  6. HS says:

    The headline is redundant. Electrocute means to kill by electricity.

    1. Juan says:

      And striking overhead power lines and being ELECTROCUTED would be????

  7. robert mashburn says:

    well either way the poor young man is DEAD.

  8. surferdave says:

    One should always be wary of any over head electrical lines…most of our over head lines in the city have around 14,400 volts in them…more than enough to electrocute anybody…remember current takes path of least resistance…

    1. Ken says:

      As a studying electronic engineer I can say your not actually correct. Current flows even where resistance is higher, since the voltage is constant the current is only determined by the resistance itself. And its not the voltage that kills you, its the high current. Static electricity has 100,000 volts. Anything around or over 300 mA will kill.

      1. tom says:

        surfer Dave, you will be dead either way

      2. sysardman says:

        We’re talking about a mans death here and all you people are concerned about is scoring brownie points with your proclaimed knowledge of electricity. Big deal, V=IR, not the most complex of formulas by any stretch of the imagination.

Comments are closed.

More From CBS New York

Get Our Morning Briefs

Listen Live