RoboTripping: The Legal High

Parents Usually Don't Think Of Cough Medicine As Addictive

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — An alarming number of teens are getting high — not on illegal drugs but on something found in many homes.

It’s a dangerous addiction that can go unnoticed until it’s too late.

As CBS 2’s Mary Calvi reports, it’s a legal high called robotripping.

Dextromethorphan or DXM can be found in more than 100 cough medicines. More than 3 million teens nationwide have tried robotripping.

“It’s in your house, like everybody has it in their cabinets,” “Amanda” said.

Amanda said she started robotripping at the age of 16 and then couldn’t stop. For one year, abusing cough medicine took over her life.

CBS 2: “How addictive was it for you?”

Amanda: “It’s definitely addictive. It’s not something parents can catch onto easily.”

Parents may warn their children about illegal drugs, but experts say abusing cough medicine is usually not something most parents think of or worry about.

“They don’t think it’s as big of a deal because it’s a household product, something that they can buy in the store and a lot of times they don’t even know their children might be using it,” said Eriach Fox of Daytop Rehabilitation Center.

Studies show more than half of the teens in rehab have used cough medicine with DXM to get high.

“It was kind of a friend thing at first and as soon as I did it and didn’t feel pain anymore, I stuck with it and started using every day,” Amanda said.

Once she started, her addiction quickly spiraled out of control.

“My family just had enough of me and my attitudes and my out late at night and not coming home and not knowing what I was doing,” she said.

Experts warn parents to be aware of what’s in the medicine cabinet. Cough medicines with DXM have a clear warning label telling parents to learn about teen medicine abuse. The earlier the abuse is discovered, the better, because, as in Amanda’s case, when DXM is not enough to get a high, teens may move onto something else.

“I was using heroine,” Amanda said. “I started to shoot up which is something I promised myself I would never do.

“I lost my family. I lost my friends. I lost my everything.”

At the age of 18, she had nothing.

“I had to figure out what to do on my own,” Amanda said.

It took everything she had left to make the decision to check herself into rehab.

Now, a few months later, she’s clean. She’s finishing high school at the Daytop Rehabilitation Center. She’s also in their chorus, using her voice to rise out of addiction.

“There’s definitely a lot of mountains and definitely a lot of hills that I am hitting right now and I feel like if I try hard enough I can get over them,” Amanda said.

She’s using her strength to create a future all her own.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Off-Duty NYPD Cop Killed In Wrong Way Crash On L.I.

Garden City ‘Hit-Mom’s’ Fate In Jury’s Hands

No Order In The Court: Judge Reverses Admitted Rapist’s Plea Deal

Which Taxi Will Be Named NYC’s Taxi Of Tomorrow?

Brooklyn School Gets New Library, But Where’s The Librarian?

More from Mary Calvi
Comments

1. Worthless reporting. Old news, bad spelling. Hmmmm…typical mainstream stuff.

2. Adrian Stone says:

She started shooting female heroes? It’s “heroin,” guys.

3. Spellcheck says:

heroin, not heroine

4. Eric says:

I’m not sure why but I get the sense that all this reporter did aside from interviewing the girl was speak to a worker at the rehab facility and read a pamphlet she found in the waiting room before the interview.

I love how their expert is a teen from a rehab center who has destroyed her life with heroin. This is lazy reporting at its worst: No statistics, no quotes from multiple sources or recognized authorities (someone who worked at the same rehab center as the girl being interviewed doesnt count) and multiple uses of the term “experts say” (and this is not something where an “expert” would have any reason to hide his or her identity) and a bunch of unsubstantiated statements of “fact.”

I love the drudge report, but I can’t for the life of me understand why drudge linked to this article- it’s not exactly breaking news and there have been plenty of articles written in the recent past that are actually decent, informative and well researched.

You might as well change “experts say

took a fairly commonly known phenomenon, her life

5. mjazz says:

We were doing that in the sixties.
    It’s not addictive though. And even though you get messed up, it’s not all that pleasant.

6. Sman vani bucht says:

It’s not addictive..

7. fern says:

Since when I was 14 I never trusted these cough syrup medicines, whenever I had a bad cough I’d clean up half a fifth of spiced rum, I used it as preventive medicine too.

8. Ben Brubaker says:

Nonsense, an out of body experience inducing drug is ‘not something parents can catch onto easily’? Slow down the scare tactics CBS….it’s making you look like the National Enquirer of television.

1. NICOLE HOWELL says:

THIS IS 100% NOT NONSENSE IT IS TRUE I BET IF YOU GO DOWN TO THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND DID A SURVEY ON HOW MANY KIDS KNOW OF SOMEONE OR DO IT THEM SELVES MOST OF THEM WILL RAISE THERE HANDS!!! THE DRUGS ARE WORSE THEN YOU MAY THINK… AND ITS NOT A SCARETACTIC PEOPLE NEED TO BE INFORMED AND IT IS HARD FOR PARENTS TO FIND OUT ABOUT IT BECAUSE THE KIDS THESE DAYS ARE VERY SMART AND CHEAT THE SYSTEM EXPECIALLY DRUG TESTS!!! MAYBE INSTEAD OF PEOPLE JUST BRUSHING THIS OFF THERE SHOULDERS THEY SHOULD BE INFORMED AND MAYBE JUST ONE KID WILL BE SAVED!!! THAT IS WHY THE KIDS ARE LIKE THIS…

Comments are closed.