Yeshiva School Teacher Killed In Brooklyn Crash

Police Say 23-Year-Old Drunk Driver Responsible

NEW YORK (CBS 2/ 1010 WINS) — A 23-year-old man is facing charges after police said he was driving drunk and speeding when he killed a popular Brooklyn teacher.

He was 25 and very much admired but on Tuesday night Moshe Berkowitz was being mourned following his shocking death on Monday.

“Nobody deserves to die this way,” Yisreol Weiss told CBS 2’s Sean Hennessey.

Weiss was Berkowitz’s best friend.

“This was a 25-year-old healthy, young adult who had such a promising life ahead of him, but it was taken out because of somebody’s stupidity,” Weiss said.

1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera reports

Police said Anel Kolenovic was intoxicated when his Volkswagen T-boned Berkowitz’s car on Ocean Avenue near Avenue N at around 11:40 p.m. The crash happened steps away from a volunteer ambulance service. But given the injuries to Berkowitz, there was little they could do to save his life.

At the Hebrew school where Berkowitz worked, students were at a loss.

“He was the nicest teacher I ever had. He took me places,” student Naftali Friedler said.

And they learned a cruel lesson about the fragility and unfairness of life.

“You can’t control … you can be the safest driver, you can’t control the road,” student Itzhak Stark said.

It’s a lesson that’s been told before.

“This should serve as a lesson to people who decide to drink and get behind the wheel, that at the end of the day someone innocent dies because of this,” Weiss said.

On Tuesday night the role model’s mother was scheduled to arrive from Israel. On Wednesday she’ll help lay her son to rest.

Comments

1. yitschok stark says:

mr berkowits was my best teacher i liked him alot i hope he rests in peace he was allways there when i needed his help i still remember his last day at birchas shmuel i remember the last lesson he taught us

2. ronit says:

Moshe, so young…. We all ask why??????????
    Your smile will stay with us
    Your love for others will continue through friend,
    family and students who loved you
    You will be missed, may you rest in peace.

3. Co. says:

This story is true! I was just at Moe’s funeral this morning, he was killed by someone else’s recklesness. I hope that Kolenvic is locked away for a long time for the death of a loved son nephew and best friend……rest in peace Moshe….we’ll never forget you

4. DIANA says:

DIDNT KNOW HIM BUT ANYONE WHO HAS TO DIE DUE TO SOME IDIOTIC PERSON DRINKING AND DRIVING IS A HORRIBLE TRAGEDY!!! WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN?? LIVE UR LIFE BUT DO IT RESPONSIBLY OR ELSE U WONT HAVE A LIFE, OR U MAY TAKE SOMEONE ELSES LIFE AWAY.

5. DIANA says:

DIDNT KNOW HIM BUT ANYONE WHO HAS TO DIE DUE TO SOME IDIOTIC PERSON DRINKING AND DRIVING IS A HORRIBLE TRAGEDY!!! WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN?? LIVE UR LIVE BUT DO IT RESPONSIBLY OR ELSE U WONT HAVE A LIFE, OR U MAKE TAKE SOMEONE ELSES LIFE AWAY.

6. andrew says:

My heart goes out to the victims family..
    I knew the Suspect and to be quite honest he is one of the nicest people you can ever meet. He comes from a very respectful family. The rumors went around him being under influence but i just got a call from the ppl that attended the court and it was said that he passed the breathalizing test meaning he wasnt drunk and rumors are going around that Berkowitz had passed the red light. It hurts me to see such a handsome young guy go away too soon and it hurts me for seeing kolenovic go through this. 2 good people were at the wrong place and time. I have known Mr. Kolenovic for a long time and i cant say one bad thing about him especially if it comes to alcohol because there were times where there was a huge group of us drinking and he would be the one staying sober so that he can make sure everyone gets home safe. Its hard to explain this to Berkowitzs family but we going to have to wait for conclusion.

1. Daniel says:

His blood alchohol level was TWO times the legal limit!!!! He was drag racing and her killed my friend.Moe was always the most causious driver and never ever ran reds. It is a discrace to his legacy and memory to say otherwise.

2. Shaun says:

Andrew your comments are completely inaccurate. Police said Kolenovic’s alcohol level was TWICE the legal limit of .08. Furthermore, police reports indicate that Kolenovic crossed the double yellow line which caused the accident. Berkowitz did absolutely nothing wrong here. It was completely Kolenovic’s fault, with several witnesses even indicated that Kolenovic was drag racing.
      Kolenovic may be “nice” guy but his utterly reckless (and illegal) act resulted in the death of a beloved mentor and teacher of the Midwood community. Not only should he be held fully responsible but those representing Berkowitz should throw any and all means in doing so. Maybe then people will think twice before recklessly putting other people’s lives in danger.

3. jeff says:

i had the honor of teaching Moshe a few years back when he was in High School.. I remember him as a wonderful student who was generous, easy going, full of lilfe and intelligent –to boot…He never disrespected me and was always kind and funny… I remember talking to him outside of class…playing some hoops with him in the gym and even eating dinner together with him…on occasion….When i received the word yesterday of his passing…i couldnt help but get emotional…What a wonderful human being and a terrible lost! …My heart goes out to his family and loved ones!1….May you rest in peace!!

7. marina says:

did he go to brooklyn college

8. Butlersmiles says:

To SHOCKED: Side air bags could have saved his life, depending of the force of impact (speed and weight of impacting vehicle).
    To all the others clamoring for tougher laws against DUI drivers, you all got it wrong: if the criminal that killed Moe Berkowitz doesn’t know what to expect if he drinks and drives, he will climb into his car thinking that nothing will happen, but if there is a CONTINUOUS campaign warning the population about the horrors of car crashes for DUI than definitely the results would be better. Of course, the question is, who should pay for it?

9. Almog says:

Can someone please send me the contat to his family?

10. Danelle Davis says:

When you choose to drink alcohol and get into a car and drive, you risk ending your life or someone else’s…maybe never seeing your friends or family again. This is a horrible tragedy and this moron who chose to drink and drive should have his freedom taken away for as long as possible. Everyone that drinks and drives should. DRUNK DRIVING KILLS PEOPLE…period…and they laws need to much more severe than they are. This is NYC and there is NO NEED to drive anywhere after you’ve been drinking. There are subways, buses, taxis and livery cabs everywhere…it’s moronic to drive a car and risk someone’s life.

My heart goes out to the Berkowitz family and anyone else who have been harmed by such selfish, negligent behavior.

11. yoni says:

I wish u rest in peace

12. nussi says:

One think is sure NYPD is the worst police dep. in U.S.A.

1. Danelle Davis says:

Clearly you haven’t lined in other big cities across the US. This is an ignorant, uninformed statement.

13. THERESA says:

THIS IS HORRIBLE. THE LAWS HAVE TO GET TUFFER ! THIS IS INSANE….

14. Yossi M says:

You were the nicest guy in the whole entire world!! Everything you did had a purpose!!!!! We were very close and I will miss you!!!! May you rest in peace!
    I LOVE YOU MOE!!!!!!

15. shoshana says:

its so sad that someone was killed becasue of an irrespeonisible driver. There is nothing wrong with drinking, but then don’t get behind the wheel. Everyone knows the risk fo drunk drviving and people do it anyway. My heart and prayers go out to his family, students and collegues!

16. Tony Ambrosini says:

I am a Brooklyn College student and it hurts to lose one of our own. You were and are and always will be loved. Goodbye Moshe, rest now.
    Anthony A.

17. just me says:

OMG this is my old friend! What a sweet guy! I haven’t seen him in years, and now I see him here! Moe, you did so much god in your life, I can’t believe this tragedy. To the guy who walked away after killing my friend, I hope you realize what you did. You had fun, you drank and drove, you killed, and you walked away. You left thousands of people hurting and crying in your wake, and you ended the life of a wonderful young guy who cared, love and helped many many people in his short time here. Rest In Peace old friend, your in my prayers and my heart.

18. naftali friedler says:

I love you mr. Berkowitz you were my best teacher ever. It will be hard to go on without you. You always tried to help me do the right thing and I will make you proud. Rest in peace

19. David says:

I did not know Moshe Berkowitz personally, but I remember him from Yeshiva Ohr Yitzchok. I never seen him without a smile on his face. He always had friends flocking around him because he was such a nice and a popular guy. He was also a great learner, highly intelligent and achieved a lot in his academic goals.

Moshe will forever be remembered by countless of friends and people that he has touched in his short life.

We need to lobby for NYS government to make our DUI laws much tougher. There should be an automatic sentencing for minimum of second degree murder for all drunk drivers that kill innocent people like Moshe. Manslaughter with 5 years maximum sentence IS NOT justice.

20. NATHAN ZAVUROV says:

LOVE YOU MOSHE YOU WERE THE BEST TEACHER WITH OUT YOU THE WHOLE WORLD IS NOTHING TO ME. MAY YOU REST IN PEACE WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU

21. david says:

i was a very good friend of moshe he was such a nice guy may he rest in peace

22. shlomo says:

love u mo may u rest in peace from bircas shmuel

23. Josh says:

Whoever wrote this was obviously trying to take the fault off the drunk driver.
    For whatever reasons.

If you want the news without stupid personal input, you can find out what happened from more reliable news sources. Not this one.

I personally knew the boy who died and half the information here was tampered with. So why believe the rest?

24. shocked says:

oh, and if you would see the state of moshe’s car, like i did, you would see there is no possible way for him to have survived. moshe didn’t lose control. the drunk driver hit moshe’s car right at the driver side door.

25. shocked says:

paul, are you kidding? how is the “yeshiva driver” at fault? moshe was minding his own business and a drunk driver killed him. jewish on not jewish, a drunk driver killed a 25 year old man with his whole life ahead of him. why does race have to be a factor in this tragedty?

26. John says:

i cant tell if you are serious. If you are, he lost control AFTER being hit by a speeding, intoxicated driver. How is there fault on the Yeshiva guys side? IT IS ILLEGAL TO DRIVE DRUNK AND SPEED. This death was caused by the wreckless behavior of the driver who is now rightfully in custody. Take a course in common sense Paul. Hope you one day get into same situation so you can see more clearly what its like to get hit by a drunk driver!

27. Maryanne says:

It’s not clear from the article how the accident happened and who’s fault was it. No one should drive when intoxicated. Period.

1. Shaun says:

Maybe read other news articles if you’re going to start badmouthing the innocent victim. Kolenovic was twice over the legal drinking limit. Police reports indicate that he crossed the double yellow line that caused the accident. Several witnesses claim that Kolenovic was drag racing.
      Yeh, driving intoxicated is bad. But so is throwing around ignorant and inaccurate comments about the victim of drunk driver. Some sensitive to the victim and the facts in order.

28. steven says:

And such a hottie, too!

29. Eve says:

May he rest in peace. It’s such a tragedy!!

30. Jason says:

WHAT !?

31. david says:

Obviously the first comment was deleted by Yahoo very quickly to get the other response.

32. yumi says:

May you him rest in peace

Comments are closed.