Catholics Fire Back At Atheists In Billboard Battle

Catholic League Takes $18,500 Shot At 'Militant Atheism'

NEW YORK (CBS 2/1010 WINS) — An atheist group struck first. Now the Catholic League is counterpunching.

Approach the tunnel from the Jersey side and you’ll see it – a billboard from an atheist group saying of Christmas: “You know it’s a myth — this season, celebrate reason.”

On the other side of the tunnel sits the other side of the yuletide tussle — a Catholic League billboard proclaiming “You know it’s real — this season celebrate Jesus.”

“Ninety-six percent of Americans celebrate Christmas. Somebody on our side needs to put down a cultural marker, and that’s what we’ve done,” Catholic League President Bill Donohue told CBS 2’s Tony Aiello.

American Atheists Billboard (Photo/Terry Sheridan, 1010 WINS)

American Atheists' billboard (Photo/Terry Sheridan, 1010 WINS)

Donohue said the billboard is a “counterpunch” against what he calls militant atheism.

The big billboard cost some pretty big cash — $18,500. The Catholic League said it came from an anonymous donor who put up the cash because he was offended by the atheists’ message.

The atheists said they did not intend to offend — but to provoke debate about religious beliefs.

“Bringing the differences out is what’s important, and that’s why we put the billboard up in the first place, to get people talking to each other,” said David Silverman, President of American Atheists.

In the shadow of the Catholic billboard people were talking.

“If it wasn’t for Jesus Christ, I wouldn’t be here! I love [the billboard],” James Bennett said.

“I’m scared of most organized religion and I think a lot of it is based on myth,” Mike Flannery said.

“I support what the Catholic people are doing, and kind of, the atheists, eh …” Joe Cippolone added.

The billboards, part of a Christmas culture clash, will stay up through December.

American atheists also paid big money to make their billboard statement — $20,000.

Previous Story: Atheist Group’s Billboard Targets ‘Closet’ Non-Believers

More from Tony Aiello
Comments

1. mousemess says:

I had an atheist tell me in so many words, it’s my way or you are an a…..e.
    Really nice people, some of these atheists.

But I can see the arrogance cutting both ways here in this area with the Christians and the atheists both guilty of arrogance being convinced they and no one else are right.

2. Oreste Torres says:

You calling billions of Catholics around the world stupid makes you a dummy. It shows your lack of common sense. If someone says something negative about someone elses beliefs and tradition then it is an attack.

3. Hyu says:

That billboard wasn’t intended to attack catholics noobs!
    it’s purpose is to remind atheists to stand up!

~jesus on a surfboard.

1. Oreste Torres says:

You calling billions of Catholics around the world makes you a dummy. It shows your lack of common sense. If someone says something negative about someone else’s beliefs and tradition then it is an attack no matter which way you look at it. It has a double message for the Atheist and it also attacks the Catholic and Christian faith all over the world. Thats how insecure you people are, spending lots of money and effort to make a point. LIke I said, lost people will always hate the truth and will criticize others who believe in the truth which is Jesus Christ

2. Oreste Torres says:

4. Hyu says:

Catholics are stupid. period.

1. MAS says:

Gentlemen: Let us leave the second grade name calling to the six year olds. It does nothing except to demean and is mean spirited. Aethists and Christians can have a dialog without all the acrimony if they think before they speak. Here are a few thoughts toward that end… Peace and blessings to you both.

Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God. — Heywood Broun

In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners. –Jonathon Miller

It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists. –Mohandas Gandhi

Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist. –C. S. Lewis

There’s something in every atheist, itching to believe, and something in every believer, itching to doubt. –Mignon McLaughlin

A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere–‘Bibles laid open, millions of surprises,’ as Herbert says, ‘fine nets and stratagems.’ God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous. –C.S. Lewis

We find the most terrible form of atheism, not in the militant and passionate struggle against the idea of God himself, but in the practical atheism of everyday living, in indifference and torpor. We often encounter these forms of atheism among those who are formally Christians. – Nicolai A. Berdyaev

Atheism is a crutch for those who cannot bear the reality of God. — Tom Stoppard

If atheism spread, it would become a religion as intolerable as the ancient ones. –Gustave le Bon

You think you are too intelligent to believe in God. I am not like you. –Napoleon Bonaparte

An atheist may be simply one whose faith and love are concentrated on the impersonal aspects of God. –Simone Weil

The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful, and has nobody to thank.–Dante Gabriel Rossetti

If there were no God, there would be no atheists. –G.K. Chesterton

Can one be a saint if God does not exist? That is the only concrete problem I know of today. –Albert Camus

By night, an atheist half-believes in God. –Edward Young

If there is a God, He is infinitely incomprehensible, since, having, neither parts nor limits, He has no affinity to us. We are then incapable of knowing either what He is or if He is. [So] you must wager. Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager then without hesitation that he is.– Blaise Pascal

I have always considered “Pascal’s Wager” a questionable bet to place. Any God worth “believing in” would surely prefer an honest agnostic to a calculating hypocrite. — Alan Dershowitz

“Belief” is not something you can turn on and off like a spigot. No person can truly “believe in God” unless the evidence convinces his or her mind. If you don’t believe me, try believing that the stars are holes punched into a heavenly dome, with the light of heaven shining through. Pascal’s recommendation is inherently impractical. –Dave Matson

If there be a God and one has never sought him, it will be small consolation to remember that one could not get proof of his existence. –George MacDonald

Well, I tell you, if I have been wrong in my agnosticism, when I die I’ll walk up to God in a manly way and say, Sir, I made an honest mistake. –H. L. Mencken

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence. –Bertrand Russell

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear. — Thomas Jefferson

My studies in Speculative philosophy, metaphysics, and science are all summed up in the image of a mouse called man running in and out of every hole in the Cosmos hunting for the Absolute Cheese.– Benjamin DeCasseres

I don’t believe in God because I don’t believe in Mother Goose. — Clarence Darrow

I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I’ve been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn’t have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I’m a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don’t have the evidence to prove that God doesn’t exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn’t that I don’t want to waste my time. -Isaac Asimov

He is a self-made man who worships his creator. –John Bright

No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism. –Annie Wood Besant

Humanism or atheism is a wonderful philosophy of life as long as you are big, strong, and between the ages of eighteen and thirty-five. But watch out if you are in a lifeboat and there are others who are younger, bigger, or smarter. –William Murray

Still, even the most admirable of atheists is nothing more than a moral parasite, living his life based on borrowed ethics. This is why, when pressed, the atheist will often attempt to hide his lack of conviction in his own beliefs behind some poorly formulated utilitarianism, or argue that he acts out of altruistic self-interest. But this is only post-facto rationalization, not reason or rational behavior. -Vox Day

A disbelief in God does not result in a belief in nothing; disbelief in God usually results in a belief in anything.—unknown

I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.–Abraham Lincoln

A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers–including even his power to revolt…It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower. –C.S. Lewis

To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge” –Ravi Zacharias

A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion. –Francis Bacon

My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? If the whole show was bad and senseless from A to Z, so to speak, why did I, who was supposed to be part of the show, find myself in such violent reaction against it? A man feels wet when he falls into water, because man is not a water animal: a fish would not feel wet. Of course, I could have given up my idea of justice by saying that it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if I did that, then my argument against God collapsed too–for the argument depended on saying that the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my private fancies. Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist–in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless–I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality–namely my idea of justice–was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.–C.S. Lewis

I hope for the day when everyone can speak again of God without embarrassment. –Paul Tillich

If God were small enough to be understood, He would not be big enough to be worshiped. –Evelyn Underhill

Those who believe they believe in God but without passion in the heart, without anguish of mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, and even at times without despair, believe only in the idea of God, and not in God himself. –Madeleine L’Engle

We think having faith means being convinced God exists in the same way we are convinced a chair exists. People who cannot be completely convinced of God’s existence think faith is impossible for them. Not so. People who doubt can have great faith because faith is something you do, not something you think. In fact, the greater your doubt the more heroic your faith. –Unknown

God is not discoverable or demonstrable by purely scientific means, unfortunately for the scientifically minded. But that really proves nothing. It simply means that the wrong instruments are being used for the job. – J.B. Phillips

A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol. –Deitrich Bonhoeffer

If we were to judge nature by common sense or likelihood, we wouldn’t believe the world existed. –Annie Dillard

Shouldn’t atheist have an equal obligation to explain pleasure in a world of randomness. Where does pleasure come from? –G.K. Chesterton

Understanding God is not attained by calling into session all arguments for and against Him, in order to debate whether He is a reality or a figment of the mind. God cannot be sensed as a second thought, as an explanation of the origin of the universe. He is either the first and the last, or just another concept. –Abraham Joshua Heschel

Secrets of the incomprehensible wisdom of God, unknown to any besides Himself! Man, sprung up only of a few days, wants to penetrate, and to set bounds to it. Who is it that hath known the mind of the Lord, or who hath been His counselor? –Jeanne Guyon

God will not take shelter behind a jugglery of logic or metaphysics. He is neither a schoolman nor theologian, but our Father in Heaven. –George MacDonald

Without God man has no reference point to define himself. 20th century philosophy manifests the chaos of man seeking to understand himself as a creature with dignity while having no reference point for that dignity. –R. C. Sproul

According to the teaching of our Lord, what is wrong with the world is precisely that it does not believe in God. Yet it is clear that the unbelief which he so bitterly deplored was not an intellectual persuasion of God’s non-existence. Those whom he rebuked for their lack of faith were not men who denied God with the top of their minds, but men who, while apparently incapable of doubting him with the top of their minds, lived as though he did not exist. –John Baillie

The real attitude of sin in the heart towards God is that of being without God; it is pride, the worship of myself, that is the great atheistic fact in human life. –Oswald Chambers

God is dead not because He doesn’t exist, but because we live, play, procreate, govern, and die as though He doesn’t. –Chuck Colson

Self is the opaque veil that hides the Face of God from us. It can be removed only in spiritual experience, never by mere instruction. –A.W. Tozer

The turning point in our lives is when we stop seeking the God we want and start seeking the God who is. — Patrick Morley

I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, I hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. –Thomas Nagel

We may seek God by our intellect, but we only can find him with our heart. –Cotvos

I believe in God as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. –C. S. Lewis

5. Oreste Torres says:

This is the statement of truth: The mere fact that we”Believers or non-believers” are talking about God shows the world there is a God. If God is fake, you morons would not even try so hard & waste your time to prove us wrong. Think about it. God has always been the topic since the beginning of time & will always be on our minds whether u believe in Him or not. Even though you dont believe in God, God is in your minds! The what if’s are winding u people to think this way! What if God is real!

1. Rodin says:

Your “statement of truth” is a supposition, an assumption, not a fact.

I, for one, do not discuss religion. Nor have I here. There is nothing to discuss. It is not up to me to prove your gods don’t exist. It’s your proposition. The onus is on you to deliver that proof.

“Think about it. God has always been the topic since the beginning of time.” God has been the cover from ignorance since the beginning of time. Whatever cannot be explained at any given moment is “explained” by divine intervention… until an explanation is found, that is. How convenient!

“What if god is real” doesn’t concern me. Your constant proselytizing and the unwelcome imposition of your views on my life do. My right to be free of your bluster I WILL argue and discuss and defend.

1. Oreste Torres says:

If there was anger expressed here it was from you dummy. You’re the one who replied to me. If what I say is non sense and fictional, why even reply then huh. People like you are the joke here. You judge something and make fun of something you do not understand and will never comprehend because your mind is limited. You don’t believe in God then die and find out. Don’t worry the truth will be revealed to you in time. God is as real as death itself. You don’t see death but it will come. Do you know why you don’t know when you’re going to die? It’s because you don’t own your life dummy! Your words mean nothing to me. hey are cheap and of no value. Keep trying you godless being you.

2. MAS says:

“Faith in the biblical sense is substantive, based on the knowledge that the One in whom that faith is placed has proven that He is worthy of that trust. In its essence, faith is a confidence in the person of Jesus Christ and in His power, so that even when His power does not serve my end, my confidence in Him remains because of who He is.”
        — Ravi Zacharias
        MERRY CHRISTMAS RODIN! PEACE AND BLESSINGS TO YOU!

3. Oreste Torres says:

St Peters body is in the vatican, Saint pauls body exist including the rest of Jesus Apostles so does Abrahams remains. There was a Pontius Pilate and so on and on and you tell me Jesus Christ never existed that it’s all a myth. You are just in denial.

2. Rodin says:

There you go again: “dummy.” Those lacking arguments must resort to insults.

It’s about respect and personal rights, not “beliefs”. You’ll never get it. You can’t. That’s why I don’t discuss religious beliefs. There’s nothing to discuss. Why waste my time, There’s no point to it.

“You’re the one who replied to me.” Is that what bothers you, that someone dared reply..and challenge?

G’night ‘n’ g’bye. Dream on!!!!

1. Oreste Torres says:

You haven’e even given me any challenge yet but run your godless mouth on me. You didn’t waste your time, you only wasted mine.

3. MAS says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS ORESTE! ENJOY THE SEASON. PEACE & BLESSINGS!

1. Rodin says:

And an ENLIGHTENED SOLSTICE to you, MAS!
        That IS what it’s all about.

2. OresteTorres says:

Likewise. God bless and more blessings to you.

6. Oreste Torres says:

You will never see mature people debating and arguing about supermann or micckey mouse if they are real or not right. God is real and He exist that is why we are so curious and we have a real thirst to fill our curiousity. The fact that they, the atheists’ made a big fuzz about Christmas shows that Jesus Christ really does exist! The question is what winds these atheist fools to think and act the way they do? They’re the ones who need to prove a lot to themselves and to everyone esle, not us Christians. Billions of people all over the world are not wrong so come out of your closets you atheists’ and get with the real program. This goes to show you how insecure and misserable the athesits’ are. Why attack something in the first place if you already know its fiction. The fact that they spend so much time, effort and money to make a point and challenging religious faith makes it very real.
    Skeptics and atheists will come and go and they will be forgotten but the word of God will always live and will never be forgotten. It survived more than 2000 years and still going on strong. People will always hate and fear the truth.
    Jesus said it and that’s another reason why Jesus is real because He said many people will hate the very meaning of his name because Jesus is the truth. So let’s thank all the sad atheists’ for making it really legit and verifying that Jesus is real and that His prophecies are unfolding before our very eyes. Remember the godless will always attack and hate the truth. WE Christians understand.

1. Rodin says:

How passive-agressive, how ‘Christian’. How so “forgive them for they know not what they do,” how ‘superior’ a soul, how holier-than-thow, how ill!

I give a rat’s arse what you believe. DON’T BE SHOVING IT EVERONE’S FACE. You don’tlikeour billboard? Think how it might feel suffering it 24/7. It’s what we get from “believers.”

DO ONTO OTHERS WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO ONTO YOU.”

Isn’t that what your book of lore advises. THEN DO IT!!! Shut up.

1. Rodin says:

Forgive my many errors. It’s way past my bedtime.

2. Oreste Torres says:

Did I hit a nerve? You sound pretty upset. Then like I said before, Atheists’ are the most miserable people you will ever meet and boring too. You people are just basic and you people don’t even know how to smile. You know its true right? Who attacked who? Christians never attack even your pathetic kind. You know what your biggest error is? Existing without a purpose. That’s the truth and nothing but the truth so help me God, lol.

2. Rodin says:

No, you did NOT hit any nerve that hasn’t already been aroused by your constant intrusion and the insidious encroachment of religion in every aspect of public and private life.

It seems, from your mode of address, you’re the one full of anger and hate and contempt and arrogance, hence your petty insults. You assume too much.

1. Oreste Torres says:

You atheist are still searching for real happiness and real peace, we Christians already found it. Stay miserable and empty inside, that’s your problem. Leave us out of it.

7. Oreste Torres says:

You will never see mature people debating and arguing about supeerman or micckey mouse if they are real or not right. God is real and He exist that is why we are so curious and we have a real thirst to fill our curiousity. The fact that they, the atheists’ made a big fuzz about Christmas shows that Jesus Christ really does exist! The question is what winds these atheist fools to think and act the way they do? They’re the ones who need to prove a lot to themselves and to everyone esle, not us Christians. Billions of people all over the world are not wrong so come out of your closets you atheists’ and get with the real program. This goes to show you how insecure and misserable the athesits’ are. Why attack something in the first place if you already know its fiction. The fact that they spend so much time, effort and money to make a point and challenging religious faith makes it real.
    Jesus said it and that’s another reason why Jesus is real because He said many people will hate the very meaning of his name because Jesus is the truth. So let’s thank all the sad atheists’ for making it really legit and verifying that Jesus is real and that His prophecies are unfolding in our very eyes. Remember the godless will always attack and hate the truth. WE Christians understand.

8. Christian says:

Why do the atheists on this thread assume that they’re smarter than those with faith? What’s the deal with the elitism? I know a lot of very well educated people who are believers.

On another note, what’s the deal with attacking Christmas? It really is the day of celebrating Christ’s birth. Why not let Christians celebrate it peacefully? Compare this to Great Britain trying to stop the United States from celebrating the Fourth of July. We Americans would not want to have the British tell us that we can’t celebrate it openly. Why can’t Christians celebrate Christmas openly?

1. Alan says:

Atheism is just simply, a non-prophet group. Too bad for them.

2. Rodin says:

WE DON’T CLAIM TO BE SMARTER JUST BETTER INFORMED. Atheists are doubters and, as such, question and study and reflect and decide. That’s why Atheists know more about religion than “believers”, as a recent study demonstrated. Search “Basic Religion Test Stumps Many Americans” in the NY Times.

WE DON’T ATTACK CHRISTMAS. We want to set the record straight. The Solstice is an ancient tradition seized by Pope Julius I in the !V c. as a ruse to atract pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.

9. Oreste Torres says:

This goes to show you how insecure and misserable the athesits’ are. Why attack something in the first place if you already know its fiction. The fact that they spend so much time, effort and money to make a point and challenging religious faith makes it real. The fact that they make a big fuzz about Christmas shows that Jesus Christ really exist!

1. Rodin says:

There’s no anti-Christmas sentiment, only a statement of fact. There is no evidence of a historical Jesus.

Consider the “effort and money” spent by religious groups promoting their beliefs and spreading their myths, this counte-billboard included.

1. Oreste Torres says:

St Peters body is in the vatican, Saint pauls body exist so does Abrahams remains. There was a Pontius Pilate and so on and on and you tellme Jesus never existed that it’s all a myth. You are just in denial

10. chris says:

“It is said that men may not be the dreams of the Gods, but rather that the Gods are the dreams of men.” – Carl Sagan
    “Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.” – Karl Marx
    “Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people” – Jesse Ventura
    “Faith is believing something you know ain’t true.” – Mark Twain
    “The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.” – Benjamin Franklin

11. P Smith says:

It’s amazing just how insecure the religious are about their mythological beliefs…or should I say, myth-illogical.

The godbots weren’t “offended” by the atheist ad, they were offended by people other than themselves daring to speak. The rabidly religious believe in free speech for themselves, but not other people.

The godbots aren’t worried about “god”, they are worried about people starting to think. The more educated a person is, the less likely the person is to be religious.

12. Cecilia Sloan says:

I wish I could put that sign (atheists) in my front yard.

13. Al says:

Most Catholic clergy and laymen. like the vast majority of christians, are closet atheists themselves. Their private beliefs differ vastly from their public beliefs. Integrity and courage are a bit too inconvenient and costly.

14. FMSnyder says:

Tis the the season to use reason- you don’t need religion to be a good person.

15. Mari N. says:

How about each side taking the thousands of dollars they spent on these stupid signs and actually doing some good with it and feeding the homeless? Or is that just TOO Christian on BOTH sides?

1. chris says:

You mean like the tax free church money they have been collecting for how long now? Get off your high horse, at least Atheists pay taxes!

16. Pete Doyle says:

“to stop preaching on the train when everyone is trying to get home or to work. A little”
    +1 about that.
    There I was on the subway, the day after a series of posts in a thread like this about how the practice of religion does not affect my life, there I was when this smiling fellow enters the car and proceeds to sermonize the people i the car about God’s love. More than mildly intrusive – but I am sure that he felt that he was about God’s business and that it was OK.
    Last night, crossing 34th Street, a car with a very loud speaker on its roof drove by – in very slow traffic – announcing the beginning of Hanukkah. Loud, and as intrusive as the subway guy.
    The particular religion doesn’t matter…..when you have God on your side, everything that you do to others is OK.

17. Katie Franklin says:

Last Christmas it was the same deal with the “No God? No problem Just be good for goodness sake!” ad from the American Humanist Association. As an atheist, I celebrate Christmas, void of any religious significance. Atheists merely want to reach out to others who may feel isolated. It’s the Christians who feel threatened by us and insist on retaliating. Flying reindeer and pine trees and a fat man who breaks into your house has nothing to do with Jesus.

18. Rodin says:

Call me atheist, secularist, humanist, naturalist, free thinker. I do not “believe”. I question. I don’t make dogma. Nor do I accept dogma.

I don’t wish to hear about anyone’s religious beliefs any more than I want to hear about anyone’s sex life or personal hygene. To be honest, I would rather shake hands with someone who masturbates than with someone whose hands fold in prayer. Normally a very private individual, I never cared to proselytize anything to anyone.

I don’t “discuss” religion. There is nothing to “discuss”.

(Continued below)

19. Rodin says:

(From above)

The Dutch of the Golden Age, who gave us Rembrandt, Vermeer, Van Eyck and Van Dyck; oil paint, genre painting and still life, the art gallery; letter writing, the postal service, international trade, the stock market, the tulip and gin, also embraced religious tolerance, “freedom of religion” … and FROM it.

(Continued below)

20. Rodin says:

(From above)

While they were free to believe or not in whatever got them through the night, it was to be done PRIVATELY. Banned were all outward manifestations and religious symbols — no proselytizing, no problems. It resulted in the greatest migration and development of intellectuals, philosophers, scientists, writers and artists, in one of the greatest societies in the history of Western Europe.

(Continued below)

21. Rodin says:

(From above)

While too many “believers”, from Obama to Osama, Pat Robertson to Glenn Beck to Sarah Palin to Christine O’Donnell; Timothy Dolan, Bill Donohue and the Catholic League in particular, run amuck shoving their religious slop down everyone’s throat, we nonbelievers must contend with (read ‘tolerate’, roll over and play dead) the insidious and growing encroachment of religion on private and public life.

I got tired of their blather.

KEEP YOUR FAITHS OUT OF MY FACE!

22. Rodin says:

BILL DONOHUE,

Where’d you get your stats?

23. RUSS says:

I DO CELEBRATE THE SEASON AS IT IS. THE 25 OF DECEMBER IS AROUND THE DAY WHEN WE START GETTING MORE DAYLIGHT. THIS WAS CELEBRATED THOUSANDS OF YEARS BEFORE CHRIST.IT CELEBRATES EARTHS TIME OF REST AND REBIRTH OF THE FRESHNESS AND NEWNESS OF ANOTHER PROSPEROUS TIME OF ANY YEARLY CYCLE. I THINK IT IS A WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR

24. Rodin says:

Bad copy. No rhyme. No Reason.

25. Carlos Guzman says:

I’m a Christian, but I say who cares as long as you get cool gifts LOL. Seriously, Christmas is not even a religious holiday anymore. It’s a season of busying and wasting money. They should call it Spendmas and move Jesus birthday to another day that’s more exact to his actual birth..

26. BDAY55 says:

the date of JC birth is not mentioned in the big “B” only his death (which is the basis of the religion). some believe late Oct for his birth based on B references

27. sk says:

I am not an athiest, but an orthodox jew. Ihope cathloics don’t think they are the only ones who oppose this ad. Howveer, in American we have freedom of expression and we can’t tell athiest what they can post. You wouldn’t want the American law to be you can’t post religious ads. si it could be the saem arguement. On the other hand, The ad should be presented at least after the holiday season when it might be less offensive for religious pople celebrating their holidays. This ad seems like a slap in the face that they had to put up the ad now!

1. chris says:

If not now, when!?? Wouldn’t want to offend the Flock! You’re all the same. You don’t like questions and you don’t have any answers, yet you want your religious ‘rights’ observed and protected by the law. I for one am sick of religious people forcing their views down everyone elses throats with no thought as to whether or not anyone cares or is offended by your ridiculous beliefs. It’s all perfectly ok though right? Because you think it’s true and that the rest of us are dead wrong right? You’re doing Gods work, so it’s the right thing no matter what anyone else thinks, right? WRONG!!!! Stop pretending to know what the universe is all about and come out and have a debate with some educated people. Answer some questions… if you can! I believe religious people should have an obligation to prove their b.s. Put up or shutup!

1. Rodin says:

Right on!

28. LA says:

LIVE AND LET LIVE. WHO CARES WHAT THEY SAY OR WHATEVER ANYONE ELSE SAY. PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO EXPRESS WHAT THEY WANT.

29. Nick says:

Court psychiatrist definition of a schizophrenic:

A Fixed False Believe
    and
    an Imaginary Friend.

This does explain the high number of stupid people in the world.

30. jeffrey says:

-In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.
    -The pagans of northern Europe celebrated the their own winter solstice, known as Yule. Yule was symbolic of the pagan Sun God, Mithras, being born, and was observed on the shortest day of the year. As the Sun God grew and matured, the days became longer and warmer.

oh and the contemporary
    – the theory that an increasing consumption of goods is economically beneficial

sooo lets see, nope the christ in question has no reason to be a part of the season

31. Ed says:

Flynn said it all….live and let live. Believe or not believe.

Frankly, I find some of the billboards with half naked guys and half dressed girls more offensive.

32. M Oliver says:

Excellent reply, Flynn. As an atheist I wholeheartedly agree with you point-of-view, particularly the point about us finally saying “enough is enough”. I am bombarded by militant religion every day and it’s beyond frustrating – mostly because if I ever spoke up to say my peace I would be viewed as morally corrupt, lost soul, who can’t possibly live a happy life. No matter what I believe in my heart about religious belief, I would never dislike someone because I “found out” that they are particularly religious. Never. I work in an organization where people freely use bible quotes in the business email signatures and close business conversations with “God bless you.” If I ever countered these things with my opinion or simply stated that such talk makes me uncomfortable, there is a good chance I would suffer a set back in the professional relationship. See, I am aware that (like in government) there is NO PLACE for religion to come into play on the job. Too bad those on the other side of the fence don’t.

It is “about time” those that don’t believe publicly speak up. We’re out there and whether you like it or not, our viewpoint deserves to be heard, too. If for no other reason then to make people stop and think that there are all types of people in this world and no one should have to conform to the loudest group in the room just because they’re the loudest.

33. Vin says:

Atheists are just bitter because they asked God for something in the past, he didn’t deliver and now they don’t believe. Ignore them.

1. RUSS says:

THATS REDICULOUS VIN. ONE GETS OUT OF LIFE WHAT ONE PUTS IN . WHAT HAPPENS HAPPENS .I KNOW IF I HAD A GOD MINE WOULD NOT ALLOW WAR ,FAMINE AND ALL THOSE OTHER THINGS THAT KILL.. YOU CAN ARGUE ALL YOU WANT BUT A GOD WHO KNOWS ALL AND SEES ALL WOULD NEVER ALLOW THAT STUFF. SORRY PAL.

34. Steven Cruz says:

Can’t we all just get along?

1. RUSS says:

YES WE CAN, SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS ARE CHRISTIANS AND THAT IS FINE WITH ME .THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE. BUT THEY DON’T TRY AND STUFF THEIR BELIEFS DOWN MY THROAT,LIKE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH DOES. I QUITE FRANKLY RESENT IT.

1. Rodin says:

“After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel like I must wash my hands.” ~ FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

35. CSI says:

Who cares. Let everyone believe what they want. The only thing I ask is to stop preching on the train when everyone is trying to get home or to work. A little annoying.

36. badman says:

Paula, who ever said we atheists were “tolerant”? I cannot tolerate the willful ignorance of religion and the many atrocities committed through history in its name (especially Christianity!). Yes, I feel emotion and am spiritual. But I don’t believe some bullsh1t story and dogma just because somebody else told me to.

37. ww says:

“For those who believe no explanantion is necessary, for those that do not believe, no ecplanantion will be sufficient.”
    Jesus is truly the reason for the season

38. Sister Mary Elifant says:

Who cares what they say. WHO CARES?

39. niel says:

You Artheists Just be where you are, You have eyes but no sight, Ears burt can’t listen..

1. Rodin says:

Historically illiterate and intellectually flawed. The “reason for the season” is the solstice, which religion has hijacked.

It is those who question who hear and see, not those who blindly believe without questioning, who just are, immutable, where you are.

40. drew says:

Let the athiests yak all they want…they’ll be bummin’ big time when they pass away.

1. Michael H. says:

Yes..clearly the inevitable ‘nothingness’ will be a huge bummer.

2. Rodin says:

This, of course, is the height pious arrogance and prejudice, that “godlessness” equates with evil, immorality and sin and that therefore we deserve eternal punishment.

41. Paula says:

The fool has said in his heart, there is no God…God said that, not me!

1. RUSS says:

OBVIOUSLY PAULA YOU SAID IT BECAUSE THERE IS NO GOD TO SAY IT. I DO FEEL SORRY FOR YOU. BLESS YOU ,IS THAT WHAT YOU SAY?

1. Jon says:

Russ u seem kinda mad lighten up real Christianity teaches love if you believe or not it’s your choice but it seems to me every1 claims to want freedom to express thier feelings yet are always offended when people don’t agree with them that’s for both Christians and others I’m not offended by the athiest ad and no one else who knows anything about Christ would be either

42. paula says:

athiest dont just make fun of christians by making fun of us, they are making fun of every religion on erth, catholic, jews, buddist, hindu, etc. soo much for athiest being tolerant. if you dont believe, thats fine, no problem, but leave us believers alone.

1. Flynn says:

Paula,

Not that I’m an atheist, but your comment of “So much for them being tolerant” is a bit hypocritical. Why SHOULD they be tolerant? No tolerance has ever been shown to them — as clearly indicated by the comments above (ie they’re gonna burn).

For that matter, there is no tolerance of one Religion towards another. Each one says that THEY are the only path to God. Personally I find that ridiculous. Just as there is more than one way to reach a destination, there are numerous paths to connect with God. And there is also the choice NOT to take one of those paths.

But the Major Religions have never been content to “live and let live.” It’s always been “Take my path or else.” Jesus encouraged his followers to go out and spread the good news. He never said “Cram it down their throats whether they want it or not.”

Frankly, I’m surprised the Atheists took this long to finally say enough is enough.

You want them to leave the believers alone? Start by leaving them alone. Celebrate your own holiday they way you choose. Accept that not everyone believes in Jesus. Recognize that some people simply do not believe that there’s an all-powerful Father (or Mother for that matter) watching over us, and that is their right.

Live, and more importantly, let live.

2. Rodin says:

You’ve got it arse backwards, Paula. It is you, the Christians, Jews, Moslems, Hindus, et all, who need to stop spewing your blather and let us nonbelievers be.

We don’t “make fun”, we take the encroachment and threat of religion in public and private life seriously enough.

43. Jerry_Leigh says:

Gee. THIS is an even bigger issue than the Islamic cultural center. Should these billboard ads exist? We’re waiting for Sarah, the Post, Fox, anf the rest to distract us from the Republican government shutdown letter.

44. evolved intelligent being says:

Never substitute intellect with dogma.

Comments are closed.