Admitted Ex-Prostitute Teacher, Melissa Petro, Faces Trial

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — A self-proclaimed hooker-turned-teacher is facing a Department of Education trial within 60 days.

Melissa Petro, 30,  was a tenured teacher at P.S. 70 in the Claremont section of the Bronx. After beginning a blog for the Huffington Post, she admitted she worked as a stripper and, briefly, as a prostitute before she got her teaching job.

Petro was hired after passing a background check. According to chancellor’s regulation, c-105, the check is supposed to look for “unbecoming conduct,” specifically including prostitution or pimping. She’s since been charged, administratively, with “conduct unbecoming a teacher,” and was removed from her classroom.

Education officials have yet to mention on what grounds they’re able to fire Petro for from the content of her blog.

“I was a stripper in Mexico, when I was 19,” Petro said on her video.

Petro made no effort to hide her past, speaking at a 2009 event in the Bowery and blogging about it repeatedly over the last five years.

In June, Petro blogged that an administrator at the school urged her to use a pseudonym. She declined. “I’ve never been one to shy away from publicity. I suppose I could be fired, but for what exactly?” she said.

After her trial, an arbitrator will have 30 days to decide what penalty, if any, she should receive.

Comments

1. ali says:

Karina Maceczek the Russian prostitute teacher still works in a Brooklyn school. If they get rid of these prostitutes and other teachers like Alini Brito or Cindy Mauro, they wouldn’t have to (lay) anyone off.

2. Gameover says:

People can change , every body deserved a second chance

3. janejoeyxo says:

sorry i wouldn’t want her teaching my daughter. i wouldn’t want her to influence young people. she might be more suitable on wall street or in the secretarial pool.

4. Roy says:

So she’s out of the classroom,recieving her full salary and benefits,and the “trial” could take years to be heard,nice deal for her……………what is she doing in her spare time?

5. The Truth says:

She should be able to teach. No hurt to the class and she is a good teacher. See dirtbag Spitzer, cheating Rangel, Dealers 50 cent, Markie Mark, Jaz Zee, Corrupt Cops, Lazy Firemen and tons of other corrupt Politicians. What the hell let her be.

6. Ham says:

This action by NYC Department of Education targets only those who admit to, or are discovered to, have engaged in prostitution. What about all those teachers who pay for the services of prostitutes and then lie about it? Aren’t they just as guilty of unbecoming conduct?

7. Steve says:

I agree with Good Samaritan.
    This is a stupid idea to off-load a good teacher, just because that individual had a “colorful past.” Another asinine statute on the books – sort of like the statutes that send non-violent drug abusers to jail for extremely long periods. Dumb ideas, but still in practice!

8. jj says:

wow, she’s pretty cute! she could always get back into stripping and make WAY more money than being a teacher! i’d certainly tuck some “fives” if she were dancing in front of me!

9. otto says:

This is a real shame for Ms. Petro. Those who are pulling the strings on this matter for their own benefit should be ashamed – I hope it comes back to bite them in the behind.

She should be judged solely on the type of person she is today and her teaching ability.

I truly hope she is vindicated at trial & hopefully the Dept of Education will look foolish for this absolute waste of time & energy.

It’s the 21st century and sex is still such a taboo subject in this country.

HANG IN THERE, MELISSA. THERE’S A BUNCH OF US SUPPORTING YOU🙂

1. KPMc says:

Ok… she’s the type of person who has no regrets or shame from stripping and prostituting.

She is the type of person who wouldn’t take the excellent advice of using a pseudonym, rather proudly letting everyone know not only about her past but that she LIED on her background check.

She is the type of person that collected an INCOME from prostitution and didn’t pay taxes on it.

If that is the example she provides than I say her teaching ability is pretty poor because those aren’t the traits I’d want in the next generation of NYers!

10. The Good samaritan says:

jtorres this was in the past and her civil rights are being violated. Don’t you get it?

The Good Samaritan has spoken.

11. jtorres says:

I somone else were accusing her, she was denying it and they were raking her over the coals anyway, then I would say she’s a scapegoat. But she herself not only admitted it but made it publicly known by blogging about it. Stripping I would never do, but it’s not against the law. Prostitution is ILLEGAL! It doesn’t even sound like she regrets it, which may have a different effect. I suppose if she had been a drug dealer that would be okay too. She just should have kept her mouth shut. I wouldn’t want her in a classroom with my children no more than I wanted a member of NAMBLA teaching my teenage sons. That’s whay a teacher in Bronx Science was fired 3 years ago. Whar’s the difference I ask?

12. LOL over this says:

And that’s the biggest concern about the public school system? …WOW So whats the average 6th grade student’s reading level in NYC? Has the student over crowding problems been corrected? I guess that also means we have stopped student shooting sprees? How about all of those teachers placed in the rubber room, for months sometimes years, because of some unfounded accusations against them. But, here’s the good part. If you want your dime back …Its in the middle East.

1. StormsNYC says:

Nobody said it was the biggest concern, it just happens to be the most “news worthy,” for what that’s worth these days…

13. StormsNYC says:

The moral of this story is that our education system is teaching people that pimping and hooking is never acceptable behavior and that your actions have consequences. Prostitution should never be a means to an end, regardless of how dire your situation might be. Sounds to me like her actions were self aggrandizing, which makes her decisons even worse in my mind. You want to go hook, great, that’s your choice, but don’t expect me to suport you in your efforts later in life to shape the minds of youths, especially on the tax payer’s dime…

14. No L matter says:

Oh yes, I forgot. God bless Leslie Nielsen, I hope he’s causing as much calamity in heaven as he did in his movies. I will love and miss him 4 ever.

15. LOL over this says:

Soros and Dave you are truly wise. and on target. If I may add. Presidents deny having sex with cigars and remain in office. We as Americans have the strangest creeds. We encourage violence to any extent. In our entertainment, our music, our driving, to the point that the taking of a life is no longer a sin. We have become desensitized to violence. The shock value has been dulled to the point that newer more horrifying methods of violence have to be conjured up. And for many, that’s OK. I’m sure, as some read this, there is someone wanting to kick my ass for it. So violence is good but as soon as sex which is promoted, encouraged, thrown in your face in everything we see on TV, Movies, Commercials and printed adds is discussed the hypocritical phenomena of the puritan pilgrims springs to life. Its jaw dropping incredible. I suppose it will be a matter of time before public opinion finds all this drum banging about sex mundane and old. Then advertisers will have to find something else, to sell mouthwash

16. The Good samaritan says:

Ms. Petro is being used as a scapegoat here. Has she had any issues when she has been teaching? absolutely not.

Her civil rights here have been blatently violated.

Stand up for Miss Petro.

The Good Samaritan has spoken.

17. kaka says:

Only in America

18. josephine lee says:

give her a chance. As christ said: “go and sin no more.”

1. StormsNYC says:

Then let her teach at your Sunday school.

19. Dave says:

While there are elements of this that are disturbing, I don’t see how her behavior hurt anyone other than herself. Would we not allow someone to become a teacher if they were self-cutting or had an eating disorder? There’s no indication she ever had sex with children, nor shown a desire to. I suspect if we looked long and hard (no pun intended!) enough, we’d find some really, REALLY distressing personal/sexual behaviors (all legal) for many teachers, cops, business people, politicians…you get my point. We tend to get all worked up (no pun intended…again!) when sex is brought into the picture…way too puritanical, we are. I’m more concerned with her lack of self-respect and extremely poor judgment. I’d say those were the things that would make her an ineffective teacher…not the risk of her being a sexual predator.

20. soros says:

Just goes to show you can’t be sure who you get in the classroom these days. But, who knows: a century ago you had sadist teachers beat the kids; even these days you have priest-perverts in similar roles. The question in this case is why does this woman make a big point of it, if not for the publicity??

Comments are closed.