White Plains Mayor Convicted In Assault Case

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (CBS 2/1010 WINs/WCBS 880) — The mayor of White Plains was found guilty Thursday in a domestic abuse case involving his wife.

Despite the verdict, Mayor Adam Bradley remains defiant, reports CBS 2’s Jay Dow.

Just minutes after being found guilty on multiple counts in his criminal domestic violence trial, White Plains Mayor Adam Bradley walked out of the Westchester County Courthouse with a message for his constituents.

“I am not stepping down, because I have a lot of work to do for the city of White Plains,” Bradley said. “I am going to continue to do it. This will be reversed.”

1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa reports

WCBS 880’s Catherine Cioffi reports

Inside the courtroom, Acting State Supreme Court Justice Susan Capeci found Bradley guilty of third-degree attempted assault, and a more serious Class A misdemeanor of second-degree contempt for violating a judge’s order of protection. Bradley was also found guilty on three lesser harassment violations.

The victim, the mayor’s estranged wife Fumiko Bradley, was not at the courthouse on Thursday, but her divorce attorney spoke outside the courthouse.

“As I was walking out of the courtroom, the mayor, in fact, came up to me and said, ‘I hope you’re happy,’” Fumiko’s lawyer, Neal Comer, said. “I said there was nothing to be happy about.”

Bradley faced a total of nine misdemeanors and violations, and was accused of slamming his wife’s hand in a door during an argument back in February.

He said fighting on is not just about his political career.

“This is also about my children, who I love more than anything,” Bradley said. “They know what was really happening in my house, and I don’t want them to have a legacy of lies.”

“Most people look for their day in court. I got a third of my witnesses on the stand, and they were allowed to testify to maybe a quarter of what they knew,” the mayor’s attorney, Luis Penichet, said.

Penichet said not only will Mayor Bradley stay on the job, with he will appeal all five guilty counts and retry the case in the spring.

Bradley’s sentencing is scheduled for March. He faces up to one year in jail, but because he has no prior record, the district attorney’s offices said Bradley could end up getting probation or being ordered to take anger management classes.

Comments

1. N Hogan says:

I’ve know dam Bradley almost all my life , I know for a fact that his wife was the abuser.

2. Joe says:

I have no idea what really happened, and I submit that nobody knows but the two people involved, and MAYBE their children. I do know that many men are falsely accused of things, and that people so much want to end real domestic violence that an innocent man or two would easily be sacrificed for the cause. The court system bends over backward to give every abuse claim its full airing, with no downside to the accuser should the charges not result in a conviction. And I shudder to think how an innocent accused ever proves that these things didn’t happen, I assume the only way a conviction isn’t obtained is where the wife drops the charges (either out of personal fear, out of protecting the family from publicity, or sometimes because the charges were false).

3. The Truth says:

Where are my comments?

4. LG says:

THE WHITE PLAINS POLICE KNOW THE TRUTH THEY WOULD NEVER HAVE ARRESTED HIM “”””TWICE”””” IF THEY THOUGHT HE WASN’T GUILTY

5. FT says:

Only the Bradley’s know the truth about what happened in the marriage and her claims. Certainly, someone is lying. In iether case, what she is doing and what they are doing to each other is wrong. They have two beautiful children and she is destroying his career. If she had any sense, she would have kept this out of the public so he can earn a living and take care of his family in the future. Trying to hurt one another in any regard is a waste of each other’s time.

1. MP says:

She’s destroying his career?!!! So she should just shut up about the abuse, huh? Gimme a break!

2. J. Cassara says:

Are you kidding? How could she have kept this out of the public? He was an abusive husband, mayor or not. You could see the fear in her especially when she tried to drop the charges.

Why would she bring charges against him and then drop them unless he threatened her? How could he treat the mother of his children that way? As for earning a living, why should it be possible for a man to act like an animal and go on with his life as if nothing happened? Oh, yes, the wife should keep quiet and live with his abuse which could lead to serious injury or murder.

6. The Good Samaritan says:

He did not receive a fair trial

The Good Samaritan has spoken

7. JD says:

that’s what I said…that the husband is never believed when they are abused. What part didn’t you get?

1. Pillar says:

Something must have happened to ferns’s reading comprehension during the morning hours.

1. Pillar says:

Looks like something happened to my typing skills.

2. J. Cassara says:

THIS PIECE OF DIRT WAS NOT ABUSED BY HIS WIFE. HE USED THE TYPICAL DEFENSE STRATEGY OF BLAMING THE VICTIM. DO YOU EVEN READ THE PAPERS? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY WOMEN AND CHILDREN ARE SERIOUSLY INUURED OR KILLED BY BOYFRIENDS OR HUSBANDS? HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU READ THAT A WOMAN ABUSED HER HUSBAND? HE WILL PAY FOR THIS IN TIME BECAUSE HE KNOWS THE TRUTH AND IT WILL EVENTUALLY DESTROY HIM WHICH IS WHAT HE DESERVES.

8. fern says:

JD you’re wrong men can be abused by women and battered by them.

1. J. Cassara says:

Most of the time that doesn’t happen. This man is especially vile because he’s a public servant who happens to think he’s boyond the law. I can barely stand to look at his ugly face!

9. JD says:

Nobody ever believes that a husband can be abused. I believe the hot tea happened.

1. J. Cassara says:

What are you saying? That a husband can be abused but that you believe that the hot tea story happened? If that part happened, it all happened. Yes, women can abuse their husbands, and Mayor Bradley could have taken some action of his own but he didn’t because HE was the abuser.

Remember the emails that his wife sent to her sister more than a year ago telling her about the Mayor’s abuse? I don’t know how she held on that long.

Comments are closed.