Yankees Make Offer To ‘Starting Catcher’ Martin

NEW YORK (WFAN) — The Yankees have made an offer to free-agent Russell Martin, and according to his agent, New York views Martin as a “starting catcher.”

The Boston Red Sox, who made a splash this week by adding sluggers Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez, have also made an offer for the catcher.

“(The Yankees) made an offer and have serious interest,” Martin’s agent Matt Colleran said. “We are at the point where we are having serious discussions with the Yankees, Red Sox and Toronto.”

Martin became a free agent last week, when the Los Angeles Dodgers declined to tender him a contract for next season.

It was thought around baseball circles that prospect Jesus Montero would get first-crack at the Yankees’ starting job, after GM Brian Cashman told Jorge Posada last month to prepare for extended time at DH.

Martin’s offer from the Yankees could indicate that the team isn’t sold on Montero’s readiness for 2011.

pixy Yankees Make Offer To Starting Catcher Martin
  • DT

    Why not? The guy was just overused/abused by Torre. If the Yankees played him 81 games at catcher and 70 or so games at DH, he’s a guy who could put up 20HR with a .287 average, while being one of the pitcher handlers in the game.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live