Conn. Officials Brace For Possible Budget Cuts
RIDGEFIELD, Conn. (WCBS 880) – As Gov.-Elect Dan Malloy prepares to be sworn in on Wednesday, other Connecticut elected officials are preparing for possible budget cuts and tax increases.
Connecticut has a $4 billion deficit that Malloy will be addressing, and Ridgefield first selectman Rudy Marconi hopes Malloy will give them the bad news up front rather than later down the road.
“If they are going to be any areas of reduction—whether it be in grants or whatever—for gosh sakes please make those decisions up front and tell us up front,” Marconi said.
What’s comforting for Marconi is that Malloy, who was mayor of Stamford for 14 years, knows the problems of Connecticut’s towns and cities.
Marconi also added that Malloy realizes that Fairfield County has for years carried more than its share of the state’s burdens.
“Don’t wait for us to put our budgets together and then come back and say by the way you’re not going to get what you got last year,” Marconi said. “That’s perhaps the most frightening part of this whole scenario.”
Marconi said he knows Malloy wants to bring the state back to the top. He knows it will be tough, but he remains confident about their future.