CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Court Documents Detail Hotel Killing Of Portuguese Journalist

View Comments
Renato Seabra

Renato Seabra (Credit: CBS 2)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

NEW YORK (AP/CBSNewYork) — A man admitted castrating a Portuguese celebrity TV journalist and killing him in a Times Square hotel by slamming his head into a television, stabbing him with a corkscrew, and choking and stomping on him, according to a court document.

Renato Seabra, 21, a model from Cantanhede, Portugal, did not enter a plea and said nothing as he was arraigned Friday on a murder charge by video link from a hospital.

Defense lawyer David Touger declined to discuss Seabra’s account of what happened. But Touger says all the facts surrounding the case are not yet publicly known.

Seabra is accused of the Jan. 7 killing of Carlos Castro, 65, whose body was found bloodied, naked and castrated on the floor of a room the two had shared in the InterContinental New York Times Square hotel, police said.

Medical examiners determined Castro died from a combination of blunt impact head injuries and strangulation.

Police detained Seabra after he sought care at a hospital near the hotel. Authorities later transferred him to Bellevue Hospital, where he underwent a psychiatric evaluation.

Friends in New York said Castro and Seabra were a couple. But Seabra’s mother told Portugal’s TVIndependente television network that her son “was not Carlos Castro’s lover.”

Seabra “never hid his sexuality: that he is heterosexual,” Odilia Pereirinha said Sunday.

Castro and Seabra had arrived in the U.S. in late December to see some Broadway shows and spend New Year’s Eve in Times Square, according to a family friend.

There had been a bit of jealousy-related tension between the two men toward the end of the trip, but nothing to suggest anything horrible was about to happen, said the friend, Luis Pires, the editor of the Portuguese language newspaper Luso-Americano.

Seabra was a contestant last year on a Portuguese TV show called “A Procura Do Sonho,” or “Pursuit of a Dream,” which hunts for modeling talent.

He didn’t win the show but did get a modeling contract with an agency founded by fashion designer Fatima Lopes, who developed the show and was a judge on it.

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments