New York City Isn’t America’s Rudest City!

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – In this survey, you’re happy to say you’re not number one!

Travel + Leisure magazine recently conducted a survey and ranked the rudest cities in America.

WCBS 880’s Steve Scott spoke with the magazine’s Rich Beattie.

Steve Scott with Rich Beattie

To our delight, we in New York City are not the rudest people in the nation.

That honor goes to a metropolis on the left coast – Los Angeles. Apparently, the City of Angels isn’t so angelic.

The top five rudest cities in America, according to the survey, are: 1. Los Angeles; 2. New York City; 3. Philadelphia; 4. Miami; and 5. Washington, DC.

To see the full list, CLICK HERE.

More from Steve Scott
Comments

1. Tom says:

Well, if you come from a lovely town in the midwest (and people in the USA are really friendly in comparison with people in Europe), I can imagine that you can experience a big busy city like New York somewhat shocking. But New Yorkers arent really rude i think, they just trying to cope with live in one of the biggest and greatest cities in the world (after Amsterdam;). (Maybe they inherited some beheaviour from the first settlers of New Amsterdam, because Amsterdam is in Holland just als New York is in USA known fro its brutality or rude, unfriendly hasty city with unique people just like New York;)

2. Southern State says:

I am so tired of New Yorkers getting a bad rap. I lived in NY for over 35 years and now live in the South. I hear “oh you can not be from NY you are so nice”. What an insult that is to me and my home state. You can not categorize an area, only individuals. When you are lumping all together and categorizing you are being predjudice. To lump people together and throw a label on them as rude, what let’s get educated people. How cynical and bias.

3. Connor says:

People in new york are rude, people in most cities are seen as rude when compared to small town america like most america is. i am a born and raised new yorker and i don’t care much we are seen as rude. i meet other rude people but we are so busy and apathetic that we just don’t care. there are like millions on a tiny crowded island, you better believe someone us annoyed. walking all day through crowds of slow tourist used to get on
    my last nerves, they block the block and i am in a rush.

4. Will Lainez says:

we are not rude!! we are loud! in a rush! and busy-bees!! but yet we still take the moment to help strangers find their way in our city or help the elderly cross the street! or WOW!! give up our sit in the bus or subway to a fellow new yorker!

5. MC says:

Louisville, KY: rudest place I’ve lived and one of the rudest I’ve visited. No joke.

1. MC says:

Follow-up: As for LA, it’s a mix but the people I meet from there are generally friendly. Same with NYC, although NYers tend to be more brusque and just don’t smile nearly as often.

6. geneegee says:

Yes, there are a lot of stuck up wierd people in LA , but everyone in the US has the tendency to be rude…and miserable…especially in this economy..

7. Carley says:

I been to Boston and those people were rude, lets stop judging by a few bad people, I love New York and find the people very friendly, and I visit Los Angeles every summer, people are so nice and friendly, and I live in Philly and think we get a bad rap, Love us hate us, what ever you choose, these cities are the Best!

8. HERSON says:

I LIVED IN NEW YORK ALL MY LIFE, NOW I RESIDE IN FL. IT’S A PLEASURE TO LISTEN TO AND SEE YOUR WEB SITE. ONE PROBLEM THAT I HAVE WITH YOUR WEB SITE IS THAT IT KEEPS ON REFRESHING DURING A VIDEO SEGMENT OF CBS NEWS. THIS HAPPENS ONLY WITH YOUR SITE. ITS NOT JUST ONE COMPUTER, BUT ANY OTHER ONE EVEN MY LAP TOP. I HAVE 4 THROUGH OUT THE HOUSE. THIS PROBLEM IS ONLY WITH YOUR WEB SITE. ALL THE OTHERS ARE OK.I LOVE NEW YORK AND LOVE CBS THE FAN AND 1010 WINS.THANK YOU FROM H.C.

1. Will Lainez says:

@HERSON – Hey! as i was reading the comments, the same issue you are talking about happened to me!!, I think it has to do with the pop-up vibrant ads script they have running on this page.

9. Mike says:

The people who did this study obviously never had to buy a metro card from a token clerk…

10. danny says:

We’re not rude. We’re just in a rush.

11. Kris says:

In other news, New Yorkers living in a dream world think they are not, in fact, rude at all. One resident, trying to deflect the “Congrats, NY, you’re ruder than all cities in the US but one” moniker, said “Waaah”, and then kicked a pregnant woman.

12. Devin says:

It’s not New Yorkers who are rude, it is the people who commute to and from New York for work who are rude while they are there.

13. Ellen says:

Boston is up there with New York as well. So we’re not all that friendly, so what. Hate overly friendly people anyhow. Just give me civility and good manners, and keep your dame cell phones off while sitting beside me on a train, plain or bus.

14. Doug B. says:

New York is nothing like it was while I was growing up there. We would barely talk to our neighbors let alone strangers on the street. For the most part this has changed.

When we take our kids to the City, to the apartment in which I grew up, we talk to the neighbors riding the elevator, and certainly have had numerous conversations with New Yorkers on busses and subways, finding the average New Yorker a fairly friendlt breed.

New Yorkers should be congratulated as most see them as friendly and very helpful.

15. Cy Chef says:

Try any small to mid-sized city in the mid-western United States! All that talk about America;s Heartland and being so nice and welcoming…all B.S.!!! I left NY in 1998 for points northward and in 2005 this Chef headed to IOWA to be closer to ailing family and I have NEVER been treated so rudely in my life than in IOWA!!! Over FIVE YEARS later and own my own restaurant and I am STILL treated like an outsider and rudely! Throw in the fact that these yocals can’t drive to save their own lives and it is amazing they allow these folks to reproduce at all!!!

1. Sterling Smith says:

Cy I hear you…I grew up out there, and find NY/NJ far frinedlier than alot of other placesx

16. Sterling Smith says:

Have you ever been to Lincoln, Nebraska….easily the rudest place on earth.

17. Attila Kaszoni says:

There are some kind folks that try to make up for Miami Dade County being rude and crude. Especially in the work force! They feel so entitled to everything! I agree rausky!

18. OG says:

LA, definitely, Miami definitely… all that cocaine. Ny is not rude, NYers just mind their business and dont want to be bothered by anyone. LA and Miami are RUDE!!!

19. Michael H. says:

We really need to step it up!

My fellow New Yorkers,

How could we let a city like LOS ANGELES take such a prestigious title from us. I implore you! Go out into the streets and tell the first tourist you see to go fornicate themselves! Push them out of your way! Spit on their shoes! Do what you must! We cannot let Los Angeles spend another year atop this list!

/snark

20. rausky says:

Miami should be number 1. People here have no manners. Miami Dade County is the rudest, ill mannered place I have had the unfortunate luck to live in. I can’t wait to retire and LRAVE this uncoothed,low life place!

1. Edna says:

I’ve been to Miami many times and NEVER was treated rude by anyone…not sure what part of town your trailer park is in….

1. rausky says:

Edna,I don’t live in a trailer park for your information. I can’t wait to retire and LEAVE this dump!! I’m not trailer park trash. I’m a professi0onal Latino with a Masters Degree!

Comments are closed.