NJ TRANSIT TRAIN CRASH: Latest | Transit Changes | Video | Photos | NJ TRANSIT | 1010 WINS | WCBS 880

Keith Olbermann Leaving MSNBC, Ends ‘Countdown’

NEW YORK (AP/CBSNewYork) — Keith Olbermann is leaving MSNBC and has announced that Friday’s “Countdown” show will be his last.

MSNBC issued a statement Friday that it had ended its contract with the the controversial host, with no further explanation. Olbermann hosted the network’s top-rated show, but his combative liberal opinions often made him a target of critics.

Olbermann did not say why he was leaving.

He was suspended without pay from the network for two days in November for donating to three Democratic candidates, which violated NBC News’ policy on political donations. Olbermann complained that he was being punished for mistakenly violating an inconsistently applied rule that he had known nothing about.

The host apologized to fans, but not to the network.

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Jana says:

I can’t tell you how upset I was to hear about no more Countdown. I had DVR’d it and just watchied it this evening. This may sound silly but I was brought to tears. How could MSNBC do this? I actually started watching MSNBC BECAUSE of Keith Olbermann’s show. I never really got into politics before–it was less stressful on me that way. But, after watching Keith’s show, I now am interested in it all. I like truth and facts and I hate liars. Keith always pressented the truth and backed it up with facts. MSNBC, I’m discusted with you. Keith, I will miss you and hope you will have a show on another network. I’ll watch you no matter where you go (except FOX of course!). Tnank you for all you have done for us middle class.

2. ELENA WHITE says:

KEITH, MY HERO YOU WILL BE MISSED, THANK YOU FOR STANDING UP FOR ME WHEN I DIDN’T HAVE A VOICE! THANK YOU FOR SAYING WHAT WAS ON MY MIND! THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE I BELONGED IN THIS COUNTRY, THANK YOU FOR PICKING UP THE FLAG WHEN I WAS LET DOWN, THANK YOU FOR TALKING TO PEOPLE WHO MADE SENSE! THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE WHEN I NEEDED YOU! THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY VOICE BE LOUD ENOUGH FOR THE EX-PRESIDENT TO HEAR!. THANK YOU FOR RAISING MONEY FOR THE POOR AND ALONE! THANK YOU FOR BRINGING IN YOUR REPLACEMENT, (RACHEL)…THANK YOU FOR YOU PARENTS AND YOUR BACKGROUND! THANKS FOR BEING A CITIZEN YOU WILL AND ALWAYS WILL EXIST IN MY HOPES EVEN IN SPORTS…LOVE YOU…ELENA…PLEASE DON’T GO!!!

3. Pierre says:

Keith, We will miss you very much Keith. You are the very rare journalist who say it the way it is without adding or taking anything away. God bless you and I hope seeing around you soon.

4. DIane Durante says:

Comcast can go to hell. Their decision against Keith does not bode well for THEM. I’ve had to go directly to their upper-level administration for reimbursement of $380. Watch out Comcast: what goes up must come down, and that means you.

5. NotoriousRambo says:

I like watching Keith’s show it is very informative and is very straight forward unlike Fox News which many of you foolishly watch even though you know you are being lied to makes me think of the war in Iraq a war started basically on lies and was proven so yet we continue to fight there JUST DOESN’T MAKE ANY SENSE.

I respect Keith’s journalism so much that I got hooked onto his show i was flipping through the channels a year and a half ago seeing what all the major news networks are talking about off course Fox news just made me switch the channel right away then same thing happened with CNN but not as swift as fox I then turned to MSNBC watched the whole episode of “Countdown With Keith Olbermann” and was immediately hooked not only can I see the true sense of journalism from this guy I can also see what he was bringing to the show was the Truth something foxnews is the opposite of.

I am very disappointed with Keith’s decision cause hes one of the last few real journalists around that will tell it like it is much less so with Jon Stewart who although chooses the satirical route with his show yet he tell you the news without covering up the truth like foxnews yes foxnews. One thing that comes to mind that may be the reason for his sudden unfortunate departure might be the Gabrielle Gifford’s shooting and the not surprising post response from our very patriotic politicians. I couldn’t be more disgusted when Sarah Palin and the likes thereof acted like they had no accountability for what happened even though she proudly used terms like RELOAD! I can see why Keith might not want to be any part of such a corrupt and atrocious system of government where blame is passed onto each other instead of claiming accountability like Keith did and surprisingly John McCain. Although they are not directly responsible for the Arizona shooting they stood up and said something out of their hearts instead of their behinds like Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, & Rush Limbaugh have been doing.

I wish Keith all the best kind of like how i did the same with Dan Rather who was also a journalist I had huge respects for its a shame how we just keep sinking deeper and deeper into the abyss where the truth is very hard to come by its all up to Jon Stewart Now.

6. J L says:

will miss you all the best hope to see you soon thanks for the time we had you

7. theresa c. says:

I will miss his wit.
    At the heart, Mr. Olbermann was the only one who brought attention to the “death panel” crisis in arizona. He admitted when he made mistakes, and in that gave himself so much credibility. His sports background made it all the more entertaining.

Boy he was just too good to be true. His mistake, calling the Fox news and tea party on their lies.

What a bunch of greedy corporate cowards they have at NBC–Comcast

8. rob says:

He’s nothing more than a bully behind a TV screen and microphone. He’s an extreme Liberal that berate guests he deems not to his liking. That’s not a true journalist doing interviews with its own guests on live TV. That’s bullying. Shame for letting him be on this show for so long. It’s the right decision to fired this bully. Good riddance.

1. Kleetis MacAnurney says:

Actually Rob, you have just described the ultra left version of Hannity, Limbaugh & Beck.

2. Norman says:

rob, you obviously never watched the show. That’s not someting he did. He certainly would call out people, but he was never rude to his guests.

He also never spouted the same kind of retoric that the right does, and he certainly was never inciting hatred and violence. He called out politicians and corporations for their bs and that was his undoing. Comcast would not tolerate his pesence on the new super network.

9. Adam says:

Surely this must be a joke. I am going to wake up tomorrow and MSNBC will let us in on the prank. You have got to be kidding me that MSNBC is not retaining Keith Olberman. I guess I will be signing out for that hour as well. I wonder who was the genius behind this stupid decision. Hope to see you on CNN Keith and thanks for helping us hold these politicians feet to the fire when they think no one is listening or looking. Don’t change the way you do a thing…

10. Kleetis MacAnurney says:

Hey Keith, seeing that you are leaving anyway could you do America a giant favor and take Limbaugh, Hannity and that Looney Tune charachter Glen Beck with you?

11. Jack G says:

What a stupid decision by MSNBC to release your stand out talent for a loosely applied policy without clearly defining it and the position beforehand. Keith, your fans hope to see you on CNN bringing the pain to those loose lip you know whos…The only COUNTOUT is my remote from that channel during Keith’s hour.

12. Valeria Kay Miller says:

Keith will real;ly and truly be missed. I don’t think that he and the general manager/president mended whatever took place last year. He had the ratings up for MSNBC. I hope that our other favorites here in Memphis won’t be removed. They are: Chris Matthews, Rachael, Lawrence, Ed, chuck Todd, Chris Hayes, Tamara, Andrea, Joan Walsh,and Richard Wolf. I hope Keih gets a spot on my other favorite station, CNN!

13. OMERTA says: