Jets’ Alosi Resigns, Seeks ‘Fresh Start’ After Tripgate
Jets CentralShop for Jets Gear
Buy Jets Tickets
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — Sal Alosi decided it was time to move on.
The embattled New York Jets strength and conditioning coach resigned Monday, less than two months after he was caught tripping an opposing player during a punt return and suspended by the team.
Alosi was initially docked without pay for the rest of the season and fined $25,000 by the team for sticking out his knee to trip Miami’s Nolan Carroll during a game at the New Meadowlands Stadium on Dec. 12. He was suspended indefinitely by the team a few days later after acknowledging he ordered players to form a wall along the sideline.
“After the events that have transpired, I feel it’s best for my family and me to look for a fresh start,” Alosi said in a statement issued by the team.
During a news conference the day after the incident, Alosi fought back tears as he called his actions — tripping Carroll — “inexcusable and irresponsible.” He also said no one was instructed to stay up on the sideline to prevent Dolphins players from running out of bounds on kicks. Miami’s Reshad Jones was penalized for doing that earlier in the game.
It wasn’t until two days later that Alosi was suspended indefinitely after he acknowledged telling the players to form the wall — information he didn’t initially volunteer.
General manager Mike Tannenbaum said during a conference call last Friday that the team had not yet made a decision on Alosi’s future.
“After speaking with Sal, he decided that it is best for him to tender his resignation at this time,” Tannenbaum said.
Alosi was first with the Jets from 2001-05, then worked for the Atlanta Falcons for one season before he was hired by then-New York coach Eric Mangini in 2007 to be the head strength and conditioning coach. A former linebacker at Hofstra, Alosi earned an award for sportsmanship and fair play both on and off the field during his college career.
Does this end the Jets’ Tripgate fiasco? Sound off in the comments below…
Statement from the Jets:
Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Sal Alosi has resigned. The announcement was made by Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.
“After speaking with Sal, he decided that it is best for him to tender his resignation at this time,” said Tannenbaum. “We appreciate all of Sal’s contributions during his tenure with the team. He played an invaluable role in our success and established what we feel is one of the better strength and conditioning programs in the NFL.”
Named head strength and conditioning coach in 2007, Alosi ends his second stint with the Jets after serving as the team’s assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2002-05. He spent the 2006 season as the head strength and conditioning coach for the Atlanta Falcons. Alosi played college football at Hofstra from 1996-2000 and served as the school’s assistant strength and conditioning coach in 2001.
“I’m thankful to have been a part of the New York Jets,” said Alosi. “I am especially grateful to Mr. Johnson, Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan for allowing me the opportunity to be a head strength and conditioning coach in this League. I have many fond memories, including earning my first NFL job in 2002. After the events that have transpired, I feel it’s best for my family and me to look for a fresh start. I wish nothing but the best for the entire organization.”
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)